A sequel would ruin the original
7 18%
The Last of Us sucked
5 13%
Half-Life 3 confirmed
15 38%
Voters: 40.
Page 1 of 2
If you haven't played the game, slap yourself, and go play it, then come back.

Those who played it and finished it, how'd you feel about the ending? Was it good? Bad? Did it make your head hurt? Should there be a sequel?
I've been waiting for Half Life 3 for ages. Poor Gordon stuck with crying Alyx in limbo for 7 years now. gaben pls
Ending was pretty good. Personally I was 100% with Joel and if the game made you not do what he did I would have been upset. Doesn't matter to me if there's a sequel.
A sequel with different characters and an unrelated story would be alright. otherwise, no sequel plz.
Albums I Must Obtain
Call me Paul. I prefer that.
Quote by fretsonfire74
I think you're my soulmate
I don't play much vidya, but is this the game that took the fungus that pops out of ant's heads and made it go after people?
I'm not sure exactly when, but at some point during the Fall section Naughty Dog stopped making a great video game and started putting together the best piece of visual storytelling outside of cinema ever made. So yeah, the ending was pretty good.
It's good for a philosophical reason beyond my comprehension but will assume it is good because it is soo philosophical, Phillip.

Also, it's a tad overrated.
There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
I thought the ending was tremendous, but it also leaves me Very emotionally confused.......and I've played through the game 3 damn times now!
I found it great! It keeps you thinking because Joel did it because he loved her as a daughter but at the same time he knew it was wrong. I'm not hoping for a sequel because I don't think it would be better than this game. Usually they take out the mistakes they made in the last game when making a sequel but this game had no major mistakes, just minor glitches.
The ending was pretty good, but the game as a whole just kinda let me down, so it kinda killed everything for me. You literally do the same thing forever until you're playing as Ellie? or whatever her name was in the winter. (And even then, it might be the same stuff, I don't remember much.)
I'm not saying the story was bad, because I'm not blind. The story was incredible. Gameplay: eh.
Last edited by Soccerguy at Aug 19, 2014,
The game was next level and the ending was next level and it sprobqbly one of the best modern games, and might even be one of the best games of all time, when it comes to telling a story. Sriously impressive game and I will stand by it forever because it was GOAT.

I don't understand how someone could not like the ending
superman is killing himself tonight
Great ending to a great game

but we can all agree this should have been the ending

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8XN7eoZr0Y
Quote by lambofgod127
btw im in hs and im almost 18 so if u do think she was flirting with me dont say that its wrong im almost a grown man.

༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽ WE ARE ROB ༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽
Quote by slash_GNR666
Great ending to a great game

but we can all agree this should have been the ending

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8XN7eoZr0Y

I remember seeing this awhile back Still hilarious
Quote by julien112
I found it great! It keeps you thinking because Joel did it because he loved her as a daughter but at the same time he knew it was wrong. I'm not hoping for a sequel because I don't think it would be better than this game. Usually they take out the mistakes they made in the last game when making a sequel but this game had no major mistakes, just minor glitches.

There needs to be a sequel, because neither character has finished having their stories told yet. There wasn't any true resolution for either of them, it'd be a disservice to Joel and Ellie, especially Ellie, not to continue.
The original ending was meant to be somewhat different, and all around much happier/more optimistic. But the final ending was far more in line with the tone of the game, and really well done.
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
Quote by BelowTheSun
There needs to be a sequel, because neither character has finished having their stories told yet. There wasn't any true resolution for either of them, it'd be a disservice to Joel and Ellie, especially Ellie, not to continue.

The rest of their story doesn't need to be told, that wasn't the point of the game (or its ending).
If anything, leaving the game open as much as they did was a far better ending to the game than if they had the usual 'and they lived happily ever after' ending that pretty much everything has these days because people need everything wrapped up in a neat little package rather than assuming for themselves what the characters did after the events.

I personally DON'T want a sequel. It feels like one of those rare games that you get every now and again that was the only one in the series that holds up as great as a 'one off' film does. A sequel would feel more like a cash grab rather than something as well crafted as the first game.

The gameplay was nothing special, mostly just Uncharted style shooting and some sloppy stealth segments, even the 'scavenging' and crafting left a lot to be desired.
It wasn't even the story really, it was all the character development between Joel and Ellie within this wasteland that made the game what it is. It's something I don't feel could be recreated again with a sequel as well as they've already done it with the first, especially if they would plan to use gameplay as the main selling point of a sequel.
When I was eleven I broke the patio window and my mother sued me... She's always been a very aggressive litigator.
I said it in the gaming thread, if there's going to be a follow up, make it about another group of characters. Maybe do that for 1 or 2 sequels, different groups each time, and possibly bring the groups together in the end like a final game for the franchise. Figure a way to overlap storylines, perhaps let time go by in-game (think Ellie in her 20s and Joel an old bastard), have some huge reveals, etc.

I don't think it's impossible
At first when I got the ending and Ellie looked at her arm and everything I thought that her infection had gotten larger and that she wasn't actually immune, so she'd die eventually. Then I looked it up and realized it only looked like that due to lighting etc, so what I felt like was a super depressing ending actually ending up being very happy.

Game was good and the online is super fun too. Story obviously isn't as good as the but its still solid.
Quote by link no1
The rest of their story doesn't need to be told, that wasn't the point of the game (or its ending).
If anything, leaving the game open as much as they did was a far better ending to the game than if they had the usual 'and they lived happily ever after' ending that pretty much everything has these days because people need everything wrapped up in a neat little package rather than assuming for themselves what the characters did after the events.

I disagree completely. The game was about Ellie and Joel, and their story isn't done. I mean, if you seriously think Ellie is just going to accept what Joel told her and never, ever mention it again, or Joel isn't going to be guilt-stricken about what he did, then you weren't paying attention to the game at all. The strength of the story wasn't in the plot, it was in the characters, and they both have so much further to go.

A sequel doesn't have to have a special story, as long as it continues to get the character arc right. Opens with Ellie and Joel living at Tommy's place, something bad happens, forcing everyone to scatter, Ellie and Joel are isolated and have to find their way back to Tommy and the other survivors, if there are any. That's all the story has to be, because the strength will be in the character interactions. When they inevitably run into more infected, Ellie will ask why there are still infected when the Fireflies had loads of people to make a cure from. Joel will continue to lie. Ellie will figure it out, because she's smart. They'll have a confrontation. It'll be beautiful.
^ Except Joel said they stopped looking for a cure.
I like the way it ended, and how stories like this end where they move on without you knowing for sure how they do. I like the ambiguity.
Based on that hidden message, a LOT of time needs to go by. The infected don't just die off after a little while. The Clickers and Bloaters are examples of someone who's been infected for a Loooooong time.

There would still be loads of infected for years and years to come. All the cure is certain to do is act as a vaccine for those that become infected recently. Maybe some of the newly turned people. But clickers and bloaters are far too mutated to ever go back to normal. Not to mention you'd have to capture and control them to even test a vaccine.

I kinda like the rest of your theory, but it of course needs waaaaaaaaaaay more setup
Quote by BelowTheSun
I disagree completely. The game was about Ellie and Joel, and their story isn't done. I mean, if you seriously think Ellie is just going to accept what Joel told her and never, ever mention it again, or Joel isn't going to be guilt-stricken about what he did, then you weren't paying attention to the game at all. The strength of the story wasn't in the plot, it was in the characters, and they both have so much further to go.

She will accept it for a while but yea, she would likely ask whether or not what Joel said is true, but who's to say Joel won't just carry on the lie? Why would Ellie have any reason to doubt what Joel says? They've built a bond between them and from the events of the first game, there is a lot of trust between the two. She also doesn't have any recollection of the events at the end of the game and the people who knew who Joel and Ellie were from the Firefly hospital place are dead so, it's unlikely they are going to track them down and unveil the truth.

Joel could be/likely is grief stricken but he could still lie about it to protect Ellie but, people have held vital information to protect a loved one before.
It could be that he carries on the lie and lives with the knowledge that he's 'doomed' the human population just to protect her as obviously he sees her as a daughter figure.
He knows that Ellie wanted to help the world by providing a vaccine, even if her own life was lost in the process. He could likely hold the truth simply because of this, not wanting to see another 'daughter' die when he could/felt he could have prevented it.

To me, the fact that there is now no chance of a cure because of the feelings between the two kind of IS the point of the ending. The fact that there isn't a cure wasn't what I remembered, it's what Joel was willing to risk in order to save Ellies life, kind of making you question if he's selfish or whether you would have done the same thing.

It's kind of like demanding there become a sequel to 'One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest' because it's really hard to imagine for yourself what the Chief did once he escaped and instead, we need a sequel spoon feeding us another story so we know EXACTLY what he did after life in the Mental Hospital.
When I was eleven I broke the patio window and my mother sued me... She's always been a very aggressive litigator.
Last edited by link no1 at Aug 19, 2014,
Quote by seventh_angel
I'm stuck on 57% for 9 months probably because I got tired of doing the exact thing over and over again.

maybe jack up the difficulty
Quote by Godsmack_IV
maybe jack up the difficulty

The difficulty only changes/reduces the amount of crap you find lying around. I still ended up with full inventories -.-
maxing out the difficulty also takes away joel's sonar like hearing sense. my experience was that turning up the difficulty made it much more of a survival game over another action type game. lot more sneaking around scavenging for supplies than simply running in guns blazing.
Quote by link no1
It's kind of like demanding there become a sequel to 'One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest' because it's really hard to imagine for yourself what the Chief did once he escaped and instead, we need a sequel spoon feeding us another story so we know EXACTLY what he did after life in the Mental Hospital.

I'll forgive the patronising tone because you don't know me. To continue your Cuckoo's Nest example, Chief's story is complete within the world of the film. It's about life within the hospital - once he's left, he's no longer within the hospital, so that story is done. Joel and Ellie's story is set within the post-apocalyptic world caused by the infection, and that sure as shit ain't done, so Joel and Ellie aren't either. Continuing that story wouldn't be 'spoon feeding' anything, it'd be a perfectly natural continuation. Was The Godfather Part 2 spoonfeeding people the rest of Michael Corleone's life because they couldn't imagine it for themselves? No, it was carrying on the story in a way that needed to be done because the character's story within the world of the film wasn't finished.
Quote by BelowTheSun

A sequel doesn't have to have a special story, as long as it continues to get the character arc right. Opens with Ellie and Joel living at Tommy's place, something bad happens, forcing everyone to scatter, Ellie and Joel are isolated and have to find their way back to Tommy and the other survivors, if there are any. That's all the story has to be, because the strength will be in the character interactions. When they inevitably run into more infected, Ellie will ask why there are still infected when the Fireflies had loads of people to make a cure from. Joel will continue to lie. Ellie will figure it out, because she's smart. They'll have a confrontation. It'll be beautiful.

You're dumb dude. Joel is not going to be guilt stricken about saving his (new) daughter. Joel is not going to be guilt stricken about lying to protect Ellie (who he knows would feel guilty if she knew the truth). Joel IMMEDIATELY started killing everybody when he found out what they were gonna do. No mercy shown for anybody. Joel gave up altruism a long time ago. It was you who wasn't paying attention buddy.
Do you seriously think at some point Joel isn't going to go 'shit what if Ellie really was the cure I could have literally saved the world'? I'm not saying he'll ever think he made the wrong choice in saving Ellie, because he won't, but that kind of thing weighs heavily on a man.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
The whole endgame shows Joel is no hero. He's a bastard. And that's what makes the ending fantastic.

This x100000000
Sail upon the open skies
Quote by BelowTheSun
Do you seriously think at some point Joel isn't going to go 'shit what if Ellie really was the cure I could have literally saved the world'? I'm not saying he'll ever think he made the wrong choice in saving Ellie, because he won't, but that kind of thing weighs heavily on a man.

Joel will never be ok with letting Ellie die dude lol
That's not what I'm saying. Joel will never think he did the wrong thing by saving Ellie, but he'll also know that she could have pretty much saved the world. How does that not mess a person up?

You can look at this game in black and white if you want, but it exists in the grey area of morality, and so do all of it's characters. That's what makes it so good. Joel isn't a bastard, he's a man that's been confronted with horrible, difficult decisions and he's reacted to them the only way he knows how to any more.
Page 1 of 2