Hey guys. I'm having problems with my music, in as much as I feel that it's all disjointed and busted up. That ultimately it's not any good.

I write a proggy style of metalcore influenced heavily by bands like Misery Signals and Shai Hulud; more recently I've taken in influence from bands such as Tool and Mogwai.

I just always feel like my output is poor. Is there anyway I can get around this? I can provide set of songs I plan to release as an EP to this post if need be. Can you guys help me out at all? I know it's natural to not be a huge fan of your own work but I work alone and the isolation and single critical voice is ruining my musical productivity.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
I like Absent Skies, and I'd be proud to say that I wrote it. I'd definitely do a few things different to fit my style and tastes, but it's a well written, and well arranged song
I know it's natural to not be a huge fan of your own work

Really? I'd say if you're not a fan of your own music, you need to work on it some more until you love it.
Also it sounds to me like you're uninspired, find inspiration and remember that it doesn't have to come from just new music but also from other art forms or things in life.
I've always find that I love the things I do when I feel inspired.
I mean it's got all the elements of it and I tend to like it when I write it. Else I would just delete it from the GuitarPro files. But I quickly learn to hate it for reasons I can't explain.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Well let's see....

Do you truly write and play from the heart?

Do you seek to write music that's popular?
Do you seek to write music that's deliberately anti-status-quot, unpopular, different, etc?

Does the music you write challenge your abilities, or stimulate your mind?

Are you uncomfortable with the idea that these songs might ALWAYS be you pet projects only, and never will be a part of a band?
Do you not care whether you play your music with other people?

Some of these are kinda personal questions, but you should answer them to yourself truthfully. I've almost stopped playing altogether just thinking about my answers to some of these questions, but if your passion is strong, they can help a lot.

Keep writing, man. I liked that song quite a bit
This is a difficult thing to answer, I think it is impossible to get a proper view of your own music in terms of whether it's good or not, simply because you know the songs more intimately than is possible with someone else's music: I tend to resort to reminding myself that those two viewpoints aren't comparable. By the time something I've written and recorded is released I basically find I've reached the stage where I hate it, it takes so many hours of critical listening that it becomes impossible to see it as an actual song anymore. At this point I always have to remind myself how much I put into coming up with those riffs or whatever, and how much I enjoy playing them live, that's what you need to focus on to be able to keep making music - otherwise every doubt you've ever had will consume you.

In terms of the actual music, feel free to drop a link here, I'll happily give it a listen and give you some feedback. I thought the stuff on your profile sounded pretty good, though I tend to be more of a fan of Converge and Botch in terms of that early metalcore style.
Well those two songs are much earlier examples of what I was planning to do. The new stuff is similar but I like to think it's less reminiscent of newer metalcore. I only have the EP material stuff in gp5/midi format at the moment but here's an example track in midi. It's the track I hope to soon record as the first single or whatever.
Attachments:
Light and Shallowness - (Metanoia).zip

Quote by DisarmGoliath
I am in a similar position, where Im not ever totally happy with what i write.

I feel like a lot of the problem stems from writing all alone. If you think about it, im sure 99% of the music you like isn't written by one lone person. Ideas are bounced back and forth between members until a final product that everyone enjoys is reached. Its kind of like there is no contrast in a song written by one person. it all follows a similar style. Not everyone is like that, but i definitely suffer from "lone writer syndrome".
(signature removed, please choose another)
I had the same problem but the solution is to keep working on your songs, I wrote a song and it sounded complete, but not good. 3 weeks after playing it a lot of times I changed a couple things that came to me when I was inspired for some reason and now I really like the song. Keep playing and changing the song, it can take weeks but you don't have to throw good riffs or chord progressions away...
Not sure this will help but when I'm in a funk with writing or even blocked and everything sounds like shite I need something to inspire me. Get out, go somewhere that may inspire you, go do something away from writing. Find an artist or performance outside of your genre that you can get into. You need a new angle, a new reflection on the music your creating therefore, IMO you need something to inspire you to get there, to stretch to that next level or influence your music. I write indie/alt rock and I found that inspiration in of all things jazz.
This also happens with me. I write countless number of songs but only a handful reaches my favorites list. Its normal and only natural that we would judge our own music very strictly. But thats why forums like these exist so that you can get people opinions on your songs. Never lose faith im sure there are many people that enjoy your lyrics