Hi, I bought an Ltd Gus-600 FR recently, specifically for the Floyd Rose. It was set up horribly, as in it wasn't set up, with the Floyd Rose up in the air. I think I've done a decent job of setting it up now, but I've got a couple questions.

- The strings have been buzzing like crazy because they are either 8s or 9s and I haven't changed them yet. I've had to set the action stupid high because of this, and also so I can pull up on the FR. How low can I get the action on an FR guitar while still being able to do DB squeals, etcetera? I can't really tell on this one because the strings still want to buzz if I let them go anywhere near the frets. I mean, is high action pretty much standard on an FR guitar? The action is about 1.5mm from the top of the frets on string 6 at fret 22, and 1mm on string 1. I'm going to put some 0.011 Elixirs on this if that helps.

- I loosened off the truss rod for D tuning and to get rid of the backbow, and I think this thing I found later came out of the truss rod. It looks like this:

Just it is allen key shaped on the outside, and has a screw thread down the middle. Uh, did that come out the truss rod, or the Floyd Rose maybe? Is it important?

Anyway I'm happy with the guitar; I kinda wish it was mahogany because I prefer the sustain and lack of neckdive that comes from my Les Paul, but I like the tone from Alder, (it's a shame it dents so easily compared to mahogany) and I'm already suffering Floyd Rose withdrawal symptons when I play a stoptail bridge.

It would help if you could answer my questions though, I'm slightly concerned that a part appears to have falled off the guitar and I don't know where it's from.

Thanks
Picture of the actual piece could help.
From what I see lots of different things it could be.
The first thing that comes to my mind is that it is a piece of the truss rod that broke off it.
It could also be the tool they used at the factory and they forgot to remove it from the guitar before shpiing.
Jackson DK2FS
Fernandes FR-65

Morley pro series pedal
BBE two time Delay
Empress Nebulus
Subdecay Quantum Quasar
Solid Gold FX Nitro

Blackstar HT stage 100
Marshal 1922 2x12 (V-30, Greenback)
Quote by Heideck
Picture of the actual piece could help.
From what I see lots of different things it could be.
The first thing that comes to my mind is that it is a piece of the truss rod that broke off it.
It could also be the tool they used at the factory and they forgot to remove it from the guitar before shpiing.

I don't have a phone right now to take a picture of it with because my friend kind of shot it with an air rifle, but if I can get a photo I'll upload it. I don't think it broke off the truss rod, because it doesn't have any broken edges or anything.
Quote by dragonzrmetal
I don't have a phone right now to take a picture of it with because my friend kind of shot it with an air rifle,

Sounds like a nice friend.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
My action is low as hell on my FR guitar. The Floyd works perfectly. Where did you buy this guitar? Was it new? Either way, what you need to do is change the strings to a gauge you like, and have the thing completely set up for it.
Quote by dragonzrmetal
I don't have a phone right now to take a picture of it with because my friend kind of shot it with an air rifle

Quote by dragonzrmetal
I'm slightly concerned that a part appears to have falled off the guitar and I don't know where it's from.

Last edited by dspellman at Aug 20, 2014,
Quote by the_bi99man
My action is low as hell on my FR guitar. The Floyd works perfectly. Where did you buy this guitar? Was it new? Either way, what you need to do is change the strings to a gauge you like, and have the thing completely set up for it.
Is your Floyd recessed so it can pull up? I find when I pull the Floyd up the string height goes down because the pivot point on the FR is not at the same place as where the string meets the saddles, so when the Floyd goes up the string height goes down.

Anyway, the guitar was second hand; this model hasn't been made since 2009 since Gus decided he didn't like using FR, so I couldn't get a new one even if I wanted to. I'll change the strings to 0.011s, but I can't see that helping an awful deal. I've already set neck relief, intonation, etcetera. The nut is a little low, but that should only effect the open strings, and not when it's fretted. The neck isn't warped and the frets are even.

Is the Floyd Rose not supposed to change the string height when it goes up or down? It's an OFR, not one of the cheap licensed ones.

@dspellmean Guitars > Poops 'n giggles > Mobile phones