I own an epiphone Les Paul, I checked out the serial number and I found out it was made in the DaeWon Plant in China in July, 2003.

But something I was wondering was which model my guitar is?
I've seen on a lot of other Les Pauls, it will say "Standard" or "Studio" on it, but mine doesn't. So I tried looking up the different models, but I couldn't really find one that looked quite like mine.

it came with a cream coloured pick guard, but I took that off..

So, by looking at the pictures I have, could any of you guys help me figure it out?

Thanks!
It's completely fake.

. The lower horn being way too pointy is a really obvious giveaway.
. The headstock shape is all over the place. All the corners are at the wrong angles.
. The font of 'Les Paul Model' is too thick
. There's an unusually large space between the bridge and the bridge pickup itself.
. The outer volume and tone knobs point outwards of the guitar relative to one another. They're supposed to follow the full length of the guitar.
. The space between the bridge and the tailpiece is too large.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
That's a real mismatch of parts there.

I'm sorry to say it, but I don't think that is even an Epiphone. The body is the wrong shape, and the cavity cover is at the wrong angle, but the headstock shape, tuners, etcetera, look fine, probably genuine grovers, but what you have there certainly isn't a stock Epiphone. It's either completely fake, or a bitsa-this and bitsa-that. I think the latter is most likely.

Older epis up to about '04 sometimes had Gibson truss rod covers, so I think you might have a genuine Epiphone neck, and a no-name parts body, possibly your guitar's original body was badly damaged and simply replaced. The electronics in the body might be original Epiphone in that case, the pickups certainly look the part but I can't tell from just the photo.

Closer examination of the neck joint would likely show if the neck has had a new body attached, it might be obvious or it might be a more subtle repair if it was well done.

Anyway, the flame top looks nice, nicer than mine actually.

Don't take my word for it, but I'm confident in saying the body is not original. Hopefully someone who knows more than me can help you out more.
Reading Snape's reply, the headstock is the wrong shape. Still, if you like the guitar it doesn't really matter, right? :P

I also thought something was wrong with the bridge, it looks like the bridge is too close to the humbuckers. I didn't think the knobs looks too bad though.
My god, I didn't even notice that there's binding on the back of the body. How strange for what looks like a Standard.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
It's an Epiphake Les Fake Fakester. :p
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
That's an odd one for sure. First of all, why would you fake an Epiphone? As far as it being a parts guitar, I could see that if it was a bolt-on neck, but it is a set neck, and it would cost far more to graft an epi neck to an odd-ball body than it could be possibly worth.

I wonder if it came out of a factory where epis as well as other brands were made, and some factory worker put it together from spare parts. Kind of hard to tell from the pictures, but I don't see anything that looks like an amateur hack job. Looks to be pretty solid and the finish looks OK. It even has Grovers.

So, Sunburst, whatever you have there, enjoy it! It looks like it could very well be a pretty decent guitar, but in terms of finding out what model of Epiphone Les Paul it is.... it ain't.
Quote by stormin1155
That's an odd one for sure. First of all, why would you fake an Epiphone? As far as it being a parts guitar, I could see that if it was a bolt-on neck, but it is a set neck, and it would cost far more to graft an epi neck to an odd-ball body than it could be possibly worth.

I wonder if it came out of a factory where epis as well as other brands were made, and some factory worker put it together from spare parts. Kind of hard to tell from the pictures, but I don't see anything that looks like an amateur hack job. Looks to be pretty solid and the finish looks OK. It even has Grovers.

So, Sunburst, whatever you have there, enjoy it! It looks like it could very well be a pretty decent guitar, but in terms of finding out what model of Epiphone Les Paul it is.... it ain't.

Because people will scrutinize a Gibson for being fake way more than they'd bother looking for fake Epiphones so more people get away with it. Grovers don't mean shit either considering you can get a cheap set of them for nothing.

You can get a fake of anything.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by stormin1155
First of all, why would you fake an Epiphone?

Because people think it doesn't make any sense. Therefore everyone will assume that all Epiphones are real.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
they will fake anything.

not that we don't have criminals here.

and of course, the fake apple store.

I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Aug 19, 2014,
Quote by gregs1020

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Thanks for all the replies!

Yeah see i thought there was something a bit weird and I must say this is the only one I've seen with binding on the back too.
I hate the thought that this could be a fake, but honestly, it doesn't matter too much to me cuz this is one of the best guitars I've ever played anyway
then just enjoy it.
Quote by stormin1155

That's what I thought. It wouldn't make any sense to fake an epi and if you did, you'd at least want the right body shape. Something put together from a mish-mash of parts but why? It could still be a decent guitar for sure.
Quote by rohash
That's what I thought. It wouldn't make any sense to fake an epi and if you did, you'd at least want the right body shape. Something put together from a mish-mash of parts but why? It could still be a decent guitar for sure.

I've already covered why actually, it does.

People think it's illogical to fake Epiphones, therefore everybody will assume that all Epiphones are real. That makes Epiphones great guitars to fake.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Aug 20, 2014,
Quote by stormin1155

I find it weird that the Chinese are now making copies of copies, but if they sell......

Has anyone mentioned that the electronics coverplate on the back is at the wrong angle? The top edge should be parallel to the guitar centre line, and it is (was?) a very common fault on Gibson fakes. All those fake LP bodies must have come off the same CNC program.
Quote by Tony Done
I find it weird that the Chinese are now making copies of copies, but if they sell......

everything sells.

fake laundry detergent sells.

the list of fake crap that US Customs finds is pretty funny to read. i used to have a link but i bet there's an easy google to find it.
I now own four Epiphone Les Paul guitars. A 2007 Standard, a 2011 Ultra 2, a !960 Tribute Plus and I just bought a 2006 Korean made white Custom (that weighs an incredibly heavy 11.4 lbs.). The first thing I noticed was the lower bout comes almost to a point instead of being rounded like other Les Pauls. Still it is a set neck and I wonder if it is an Epiphone from 1970's when Epiphone was being made in Japan. The picture of the seriel number is too blurry to read. Can you post the number?
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Aug 21, 2014,
Quote by Rickholly74
I now own four Epiphone Les Paul guitars. A 2007 Standard, a 2011 Ultra 2, a !960 Tribute Plus and I just bought a 2006 Korean made white Custom (that weighs an incredibly heavy 11.4 lbs.). The first thing I noticed was the lower bout comes almost to a point instead of being rounded like other Les Pauls. Still it is a set neck and I wonder if it is an Epiphone from 1970's when Epiphone was being made in Japan. The picture of the seriel number is too blurry to read. Can you post the number?

Hate to burst your bubble but Epiphone didn't start producing LP copies til 89. They don't look like that at all either.

It's not real, doesn't matter if the serial number is good or not.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by Rickholly74

If you need a serial# to tell if it is legit or fake you should never buy an Epi at other places then legit/authorized dealers....

BTW the serial# starts with DW0307xxxx
a serial# (alone) can't verify if a guitar is legit or not

oh, and there never ever have been any Epi LesPauls made in the 70s....

this guitar is more fake than the b00bs of Pam Anderson
Quote by Rickholly74
You're right I didn't know when they started making Epiphone Les Paul's. thanks.

It's cool.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster