Hi all. So recently I've been looking at picking up a do-it-all boutique Strat. Looking for something with an alder body, flamed maple top, contoured body with binding, and HSS configuration. In terms of spec and aesthetics the Tom Anderson Drop Top Classic is more or less perfect (see here - http://worldguitars.co.uk/hd-top-classic-arctic-blue-burst-09-29-13P/) but the price is a little out of budget. Are there any other high-end guitars you can recommend that fit this spec and roughly fit the look?

I know Suhr have their Pro Series guitars but these are basswood and I think I prefer alder. Otherwise they would be a perfect alternative.

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by eric_ at Aug 19, 2014,
If you were in the US, I'd recommend Carvin in a heartbeat, but I know those get pricey overseas. However, I suspect that it might still be a good deal, since I don't think it costs $2000 to import a Carvin, and I bet you could match those specs for $2K or less with them.

What is your ACTUAL budget?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
I wouldn't sweat the basswood thing too much. The maple top counteracts it a bit and they sound pretty stratty to my ear. I think there's a big difference between a Basswood Pro S4 and your typical all-basswood Ibanez shred machine.
Or, (and I think this is your best new option), you could get an Ash Pro series, which is going to be even closer to the usual Alder.
http://www.humbuckermusic.com/suhr-pro-ash-standard.html

Or you can be patient and snag a used Suhr/Anderson off the Gear Page used.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Aug 19, 2014,
You should also be able to afford a custom from one of the smaller American luthiers.

Rice does nice work.
http://www.ricecustomguitars.com/models.php?model=css

Jon's standard stuff starts at $1500, and his full customs at $2500. He is having a sale. Don't know if he does flamed tops, though.
http://jonkammerercustoms.com/help-template_003.htm
http://jonkammerercustoms.com/help-template_012.htm

And some of the UK's luthiers too:
http://www.macphersonguitars.com

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Aug 19, 2014,
1. Hop a plane to LA.

2. Meet me at the Griddle Cafe on Sunset near Fairfax, right next to the Director's Guild.

3. If you can still walk unassisted after an order of their pancakes, we'll walk down to the Sunset Guitar Denter. Across the street from them is the Mesa Boogie store (they're Tom Anderson Dealers). A couple of doors down from the Boogie factory store is the Carvin factory store. Same side of the street and down a bit farther is a hugemongous Sam Ash.

Tom Anderson's factory is within driving distance, as is Trussart. In Riverside is Wild West guitars, a Suhr and Fender top-end dealer (well, for that matter, Norm's Rare Guitars is up in the Valley) and south of that is Suhr's factory and south of that is Taylor, Carvin and at least one more Tom Anderson dealer.

Pick out your guitar. Hop a plane back home.

Easy Peazy.
See, now you're TRYING to make people jealous!

Frudua is an Italian maker with some gorgeous Strat-like guitars- nice quilting.
http://www.fruduaguitars.it/inglese/home_guit_in.html

not sure about the cost in the UK but fender makes a nice strat with flame maple top. you might be able to find a used one at this point.
Quote by dspellman
driving distance

You should probably clarify what you mean there, since you're in the USA and he's in ireland. For me (not republic of ireland but NI, close enough) easy driving distance is about 20 miles
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
You should probably clarify what you mean there, since you're in the USA and he's in ireland. For me (not republic of ireland but NI, close enough) easy driving distance is about 20 miles

Well, things are a little different here. I dropped my son off at a fine arts camp for soem musical training this summer. It was withing driving distance... 400 miles.
400 miles lands you in the ocean here nomatter which direction you drive
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Thanks for the replies.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
If you were in the US, I'd recommend Carvin in a heartbeat, but I know those get pricey overseas. However, I suspect that it might still be a good deal, since I don't think it costs $2000 to import a Carvin, and I bet you could match those specs for $2K or less with them.

What is your ACTUAL budget?

Yeah I had been considering them but some reading online led me to believe they're not quite up to the same standard. Still they definitely look like value for money. Only issue is I'd most likely be buying without trying which I'm not keen on. Budgetwise I'd been hoping to pick something up new or used for around the €2,000 mark (around $2,600 US/£1,600). For the right guitar though I could up it slightly.

Quote by Roc8995
I wouldn't sweat the basswood thing too much. The maple top counteracts it a bit and they sound pretty stratty to my ear. I think there's a big difference between a Basswood Pro S4 and your typical all-basswood Ibanez shred machine.
Or, (and I think this is your best new option), you could get an Ash Pro series, which is going to be even closer to the usual Alder.
http://www.humbuckermusic.com/suhr-...h-standard.html

I hadn't heard about these. Thanks for the info. Can't seem to find any UK/European dealers with any in stock at the moment. Are these only recently in production?

@dspellman - Would you be paying for these pancakes?
One thing you might do is pick up a copy or two of magazines like Vintage Guitar or a p
Premiere Guitar...for the ads. That way, you'll find a lot of the guys who sell high-end guitars, new/used. That's how I've found some of the sites I shop regularly.

For example, I know it's not what you asked for, but:
http://www.guitarsandeffects.com/2013a09a18andersonwalnuthollowt/andersonwaluthollowt

And while I haven't personally bought there, I've come close- someone beat me to the purchase- and I've directed other UGers there who HAVE bought from them. Happily.

Other good sites: Elderly Instruments, Charley's Guitars, and- a personal favorite- reverb.com. Reverb is like a dedicated eBay...and they have a lot of TA's right now:

https://reverb.com/marketplace?query=Tom+Anderson

Some, but not all, of those guys will ship outside the USA.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Aug 25, 2014,
Quote by eric_
I hadn't heard about these. Thanks for the info. Can't seem to find any UK/European dealers with any in stock at the moment. Are these only recently in production?

Special run, you'd have to order one directly from Humbucker. They do ship to the UK, though.
Quote by eric_

@dspellman - Would you be paying for these pancakes?

I'll buy them if you can eat a full order of just three pancakes in one sitting.

Suhrs are both production and custom guitars. They're not recently in production (Suhr's been around for a while), but they don't make a huge number of them, either. And there are no cheap Suhr guitars.
Last edited by dspellman at Aug 25, 2014,
Quote by Dave_Mc

Here in LA, "driving distance" probably has new meaning, since something as simple-sounding as "cross town" can easily involve a 20-mile jaunt. And I didn't say "easy" driving distance. I've been to Ireland. Sometimes "easy" driving involves passing out in the cart while the horse/burro finds its own way home from the pub on a one-lane road.
Lol
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?