Firstly, I am posting this from my phone so excuse any oddly placed words and periods, lol.

Anyways, what I would like: A versatile amp that can get at least the main sounds I want to emulate and still be budget friendly, but still get the best bang for my buck. I'd like it to be quiet enough for bedroom play, but loud enough to eventually play with a band. If it comes to it, I'm willing to pay more for a better product.

Sounds I'd like to emulate: Mostly Jon Fratelli/The Fratellis. Though I'd also like to emulate Dick Dale, and maybe Cake. Also good punk sounds would be nice but not necessary.

What I'm considering (& prices, minus shipping, tax, etc)

Fender Mustang IV ($299.99 used)
Fender Mustang IV V.2 ($399.99 used)
Fender Mustang V ($334.99 used, Inc. Cab)
Fender Mustang V v.2 ($399.99 used, Inc. Cab)
Peavey Vypyr VIP 3 ($149.99 used)
Peavey Vypyr Tube 120W ($349.99 used)

Right now I'm mostly considering the Mustang V/V v2, but I'm concerned that it will be too loud for bedroom play, even with the master volume lowered. Will it? At the same time I'd prefer to pay less, but I've had enough experience with cheap stuff to realize that it might just be worth it to spend the extra.

The Vypyr VIP 3 is there because it's a bass amp as well. I'd like to eventually take up the bass, but I don't see it happening soon. If it's better to just get one of the other amps now and a bass amp later, that's fine with me.

Mostly considering the fender amps since both Jon Fratelli and dick dale use them, it's probably going to be easier to emulate their sound with them.

I think I've given enough info. If you have any recommendations other than what I was considering, please try to keep it under $400. Also, I'd go to guitarcenter to test them out because I pass it on the way back to work, but it closes before I get there. I also don't really get an opportunity to go on my days off because it's around 25 miles away.

Thanks for the help, guys.
Vypyr tube 60.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by Spambot_2
Vypyr tube 60.

Thanks, but can I ask why exactly that would be the best choice?

Also, just for clarification for anyone who reads this thread: no idea why I went on a wordwall there, but the main purpose was the question about whether the Mustang v/v.2 will be too loud for bedroom play.

Thanks!
Ultimately, all amps are too loud for bedroom. You just need to use a very light touch when adjusting the volume knob.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Quote by lemurflames
Ultimately, all amps are too loud for bedroom. You just need to use a very light touch when adjusting the volume knob.

So I could get away with the Mustang V without shaking the rafters? I'll probably be playing with headphones half the time, it's just sometimes I prefer to play without them.
Vyper Tubes aren't so bad for low volume. By far the best amp on your list. Look for a 60 though, I think it would suit you better. But if you can't find one as cheap, the 120 would work fine and blow all those other amps into the weeds.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Well, now I feel very mixed. I'll wait for more responses before deciding. I won't be getting it for a few weeks at least anyways, dell to only having around $200 (when I get my paycheck on friday)

Only reason I posted this so early is because I like to be sure I wan what I purchase, which is why I have a love/hate relationship with sales. Love the fact they bring the price down because I'm a cheapskate when it comes to spending on myself, hate the fact that I usually make the decision to buy the items hastily and end up regretting the purchase. But, I digress. Thanks for the help guys and please keep the opinions coming.

Quote by Cathbard
Vyper Tubes aren't so bad for low volume. By far the best amp on your list. Look for a 60 though, I think it would suit you better. But if you can't find one as cheap, the 120 would work fine and blow all those other amps into the weeds.

Keep in mind I'd like it to be quiet enough for bedroom play, but loud enough for eventual playing with a band. I'm sure the vypyr are loud enough but just making sure everyone understands what I want.

Also sorry if that came off as douchey, because it read that way to me and it was unintentional.
Last edited by JellyJiggler at Aug 20, 2014,
If you're gonna be gigging at times too then there's no question about it. Don't sacrifice your gigging for the sake of practice. Get the Vyper 120. You'll thank me later. It will be ok for practice and a great gigging amp. They've got the power amp out of a 6505. Buy it.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Is it better than the Mustang V/V v.2 for what I need? I really like the sounds of both amps to be honest. The Mustang is cheaper before shipping and tax. Honestly I really wish I could just try them in person, but even if I could get to the guitarcenter closest to me, they don't have vypyr tubes in stock. Maybe I'll luck out and find one at a pawn shop or something, lol. Anyways, I'm not too educated when it comes to amps, so if it's not too much, could you explain why it's better? I'd appreciate it a lot.
Once you throw it on the stage, the Vyper will eat it for breakfast. The Mustangs don't do so well once you start cranking them to drummer volumes. Seriously, it's no contest. I'd be happy to have a Vyper Tube behind me on a stage. I wouldn't use a Mustang unless I had no other choice. I'd rather use my GT-100 straight into the desk to be honest.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by JellyJiggler
I'm still not entirely sure... can I get more opinions, please?

1. Cathbard is definetly one of the top people to listen to here

2. The Vypyr Tube is one of the best modelling amps out there

3. either the 60 or the 120 watt versions will be future proof so you wont need to buy a new amp for a good few years.

4. Get the Vypyr tube.....

My Rig:
Maverick F-1, Ibanez RG1527, Schecter Omen 8
Marshall JVM 410H,
Hand built 4x12 w/ V30s
Current board:
PXL LIVE
TU2
WHAMMY IV
MXR M132
MXR M101
TIMMY