Amp: Peavey 6505+ combo

But yeah, anytime I use the effects loop -- doesn't even need to be a pedal, could just be a cable alone forming a loop-- the gain just skyrockets to like mesa boogie level.

It doesn't get LOUDER, just the pre-amp gain goes up way higher. Like if I have it on Guns N' Roses-level gain, without changing any knobs, it shoots up to Megadeth-level gain , whereas normally that would require me actually manually adjusting the pre amp gain--although to be quite honest it sounds even more than I could do by adjusting the amp normally.

I don't wanna ask how to get RID of it, per se, because quite frankly sometimes its a bit cool having the amp get so much gain that it otherwise normally would not have, but as you can imagine it has its downsides too.

I guess the better question is, how do I harness this power? haha

But really, why is this happening? i made a video of the problem

here is a link to a video demonstrating the problem
This seems like one of those things that you probably already tried, but on the chance that you didn't...

I think Peavey amps have independent controls for effects loop levels. Have you checked that?
Quote by chrismendiola
This seems like one of those things that you probably already tried, but on the chance that you didn't...

I think Peavey amps have independent controls for effects loop levels. Have you checked that?

my jsx has this check for that
check the levels of the pedals you have running into the FX loop. you may need to adjust
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
check the levels of the pedals you have running into the FX loop. you may need to adjust

Has nothing to do with the pedals... like I said it happens even if you just plug a cable alone from the send to return.
Quote by MrHuggables
Has nothing to do with the pedals... like I said it happens even if you just plug a cable alone from the send to return.

That is indeed strange and if it is still under warranty, get it fixed ASAP
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate