Hey guys! It's been a while since I've seen a thread like this, and I was thinking about it today after spending 6 hours with my tweaker 40 and finally getting some of what I consider to be the best tones I've heard out of it.

I realized I bought this amp brand new for 400 bucks. What a steal that was, add my pedal board in the mix and today I got a dozen use able tones out of it. I was nearly ready to spend 3x as much for a new amp before realizing what a gem this was. And it got me thinking, I've bought and sold more sub 500 dollar amps in the past 2 years than I know what to do with. So I'm going to list a couple of my favorites then hand the reigns off and hear what you guys think.

New or used my favorite sub 500 buck amps are.
Egnater tweaker
Vox ac15
Peavey classic 30
Peavey Windsor (before it exploded)
Orange tiny terror
Fender bassman
Fender ramparts

What's yours?
What bassman did you get for $500 exactly?
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
If I'd be able to get a Bassman under 500 (I'm in Europe), I'd already have 2 or 3, I think... :O

That said:
London City Tube amps (various models, pretty unknown, but they're well built Marshall-style amplifiers that go dirt cheap)
Jet City JCA 50/100
Valveking head with a decent cab
Vox AC15
Orange OR15
Blues Junior
Laney VC30
ENGL Thunder 50
ENGL E625 (60W Fireball)
Peavey Classic 30
Egnater Tweaker 15
Vox AC15
Vox Night Train

You know...the usual suspects.

At least they have better beer over in Belgium. LOL
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5
Quote by I K0nijn I
If I'd be able to get a Bassman under 500 (I'm in Europe), I'd already have 2 or 3, I think... :O
'70s is likely a silverface, though yeah, for €500 I would get a silverface or a tweed, and if it was either a brownface or a blackface I'd get three

As for the other amps, $500 is really the wrong price point if ya ask me.
The only amp I've tried that I really, really liked under that price is the one I now own - a blackheart BH5H, that cost me €95, or roughly $130.

Then you have all the jet city's and vypyr tube's and stuff that, while I wanted to try, I've never had the occasion of trying myself.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
I've gotten a lot of great used gear under 500. I'm quite happy with what I have now, and with the ability to now buy expensive boutique stuff, it's nice to not forget that 500 bucks is a great amount of money to get you a great amp spambot
Quote by ColeFleming
How is the night train sg?

I've merely borrowed one, but it sounds similar to an AC15 when set clean. There are a lot more options with the EQ and tone in general. The half power switch is nice and the thick mode can sound very crunchy and overdriven when wound up and can do more aggressive sounds when played through a closed back 2x12 or 4x12. Unfortunately, I don't have one now.
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5
Ampeg v50h, $250 us takes pedals like a god.

Pro's: lots of clean headroom

Con's: loud as ****, no master volume.
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
Last edited by losing battle at Aug 19, 2014,
I had a SF Bassman that was less than $500... Until it needed a tech.

Aside from that, my amps have all been less than $500. I like my BJr best of them, but here's the list:

Fender SF Bassman 100 (pristine cleans, not much else)
Peavey Windsor (meh)
Crate V33 (crazy nice for the $100 I paid, wish I'd kept it)
Valve Junior (meh)
Blues Junior (perfect, for me anyway)

Now I've got my eye on the Tweaker series as well.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Peavey 5150 combo
Peavey Ultra+
Mesa Rectoverb 50 series 2
Orange tiny terror
Mesa Boogie Single Rectoverb 50 series 2 combo
Randall RM100
Peavey 5150 4x12
Peavey XXX 2x12 combo
Pedals
The Egnater Rebel 20 is my personal favorite. If we're talking used, I'd say Randall RM, but if I were ampless and had $500 and had to spend it on an amp (and couldn't find an RM) I would get a Rebel 20 again. Great amps that'll cover a lot of ground, with class. I tried out one of the new Night Train combos today and wasn't the least bit impressed. I remember having some fun on one of the original NT heads but I'm not a fan of the new combos. I spent some more time on the newer VK 20 head and I really like that one too, it'd be third on my current list.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
my best for under 500.00 (and both were bought used off of Craigs list locally) are
Peavey Classic 30 and my 6505+ 1x12 combo ..... those two do great with the music I play .... so far I haven't ever bought a new amp amp but thinking of pulling the trigger on a brand new Carvin V3M head with 2x12 slant top cab but it will be a couple or three Franklins over 500.00
Well if used counts, I paid $232.50 after shipping for my Peavey Rockmaster preamp. I paid $152.50(free shipping) for my Peavey Classic 60/60 power amp, both from eBay. So a total of $385 minus cab and a rack to mount them in for what is IMO an awesome rig for metal. I've had this setup for almost a year and a half and still just love my setup.
Got my Fender Hot Rod Deluxe for 450 euros.

pro's: fantastic cleans!

con's: awful drive channel (but i use an ehx hot tubes overdrive pedal and i'm happy with it), not so good reverb

^ that ycv50blue for that price.

egnater tweaker head - $300 new - mojotone 5e3 for $350?

used vibroverb reissue for $450 used. (sitting next to the $350 peavy delta blues 2x10)

or maybe 1972 marshall lead 50 for $175?
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Aug 22, 2014,
I like the Fender Excelsior (if you get one that works)

Peavey classic 30 gets a shout out from me too. Also Peavey Triple XXX

Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Last edited by H4T3BR33D3R at Aug 22, 2014,
Recently picked up a used Peavey XXX 212 for $399.00 I thought that was a steal for a great amp. My favorite so far.
Got a Peavey VTM-60 for under $200 from ebay. It was just a chassis, no cabinet around it, but that's fine. It's a touch muddy/woofy, but throw a tubescreamer in front and it sounds absolutely phenomenal.

Also got an Ampeg SS140C that used to be a combo but someone removed the amplifier part and bolted it to a board. I think I played $150 for that one. I built a basic enclosure around it and it sounds fantastic - and I usually hate solid state amps.

I picked up a used Bugera 6262 for $300 from ebay. I'm a big fan of that amp, although now I have a 6505+ so no need.
Death, Black, Doom, Grind, and more.
Quote by losing battle
Ampeg v50h, $250 us takes pedals like a god.

and nails the VH1 brown sound if you set it correctly.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
I like tweakers,
but you can find some nice used heads for a really good price.
Just another Sheep in the design of the Almighty Machine.

-GEAR-
Gibson 60s Les Paul Tribute (Sunburst)
1999 Ibanez RG470 (TitaniumIce-MIJ)
Jackson RR3 (Trans-Red)
Peavey 6505+
Podx3
all my amps together were under $500

Windsor-$60.00(trade)
6505+112 $225.00(with FS)
Randall RX120RH $75.00
Randall RG100ES $50.00 (traded a MG30 for it...lol)
Crate GX-130C $75.00
there sure is some great gear to be had for under 500 bones

a couple of my favorites are
b52at100
crate blue voodoo120h
egnater tweaker 15
orange micro terror
xxx/5150
randall rd20h
randall rh + series
Live Rig
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Telecaster
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Patriot

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

It is NOT trash metal it is tHrash metal...get it right
Just got a solid state Crate Flex Wave 120h for 100 bucks and line6 spider 3 for 80.00.http://i735.photobucket.com/albums/ww355/Ikillintel/IMG_0270.jpg

http://i735.photobucket.com/albums/ww355/Ikillintel/IMG_0281.jpg

or you could go with Amplitube 3 for less than 500.

http://i735.photobucket.com/albums/ww355/Ikillintel/IMG_0273.jpg
My newest addition,
2007 Dean Cadi-KILL (Cannibal Corpse) Rob Barrett Signature model to see more of my gear visit my profile.