I know the basic jazz progressions but I want to hear some other common progressions along with their most associated genre. (I know there is a lot of overlap too)

I ask because I would like to be able to recognize them better and I also try to make loops to jam on every day in a new style/ key.

If you can't think of genres heres a list I thought of:
Acoustic Pop
Blues
Jazz
Big Band/ Swing
Rock
Metal
Funk
Classical
World
To be honest you could use the classic I-V-vi-IV progression and just change the voicings of the chords and the effects you use for your sound.
12 bar blues, applicable to some kinds of jazz, most blues songs and a lot of early rock. To a lesser extent, country.

EDIT: forgot progression. I-I-I-I-IV-IV-I-I-V-IV-I-I-

It can be modified in various ways, minor first and fourth, fifth in place of first in last measure, first chord as 6th chord and fourth and fifth chords as 9th chords (popular in jazz), etc. The list is virtually inexhaustible.
A poem.
Quote by yoman297
no girl, movember isnt for you. shave your stache pls

I can out-bore you any day
Last edited by Pastafarian96 at Aug 20, 2014,
i - VI - VII
iii - IV

The first is the good old "Maiden progression", probably the most used progression of all time, when it comes to Metal and Rock.
The second, (with a lot of embellishments ofc), is the basis of most Extreme Metal. Need more Phrygian.
I-vi-IV-V Motown/Doo wop

inb4 chord progressions aren't genre-specific. Yes, that is obvious.
Last edited by MapOfYourHead at Aug 20, 2014,
Quote by Thrasherx00

iii - IV
The second, (with a lot of embellishments ofc), is the basis of most Extreme Metal. Need more Phrygian.

You actually mean i - bII as chord progressions always resolve to I or i.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud