Yeah, longtime gtr player. Just got my first bass to help complete my recordings/songwriting.

Its a Schecter Raiden 4. Paid $219 used with gig bag, but it seems brand new to me.

(Invalid img)

Anyway, I really dig it, lol. I have always just recorded my stuff with no bass going back to the 4 track days etc.

I am just learning Reaper DAW and I am using the bass direct thru a focusrite 2i4.

I really like the way the bass can completely set the feel of the song. Im not going to say its "easy" to play the bass...maybe its easy to get ones fingers tied into knots lol.

I have a little jam track here that id like some feedback on...for the whole track and of course the bass playing. Its just something I did on a Sunday afternoon. The bass is direct with some compressor and slight EQ added...yeah, im pretty much clueless on mixing too but im working on it.

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/JohnProphet/

I will assume I played it like a typical gtr player who just got a bass lol.

The intro and outro is just G-F.

The "A" section I just basically played a thumping G with some fills

The "B" section I just more or less doubled the gtr because I thought it sounded cool and I had no idea what else to do. I think its a nice change from the heavy downbeats of the main section

The "C" section, A minor interlude, I just did a couple fills and hit the D# from the Aminor blues scale. This section might have stood a redo, the timing of it was a bit weird, but I just left it as it was because I was trying to get the things finished in 1 day. I think it still works decently.

I dont mind some constructive feedback, thanks. Keep in mind im a bass newb lol

Anyway, Im finding the bass really fun so far. Its amazing to me how many recordings are out there where u basically cant even hear the bass. (then again on my laptop u cant hear ANY bass lol) Its hard to understand. As a gtr player id definitely WANT a strong bass presence just to make the song move that much better.

Peace, JP
It wasn't nearly as flimsy as I was expecting from a guitarist, good job. Maybe consider letting the notes play out a little longer, eight notes rather than staccato.

One the mixing side, the general rule is to have the bass in the centre but they be more like guidelines. Some slight reverb wouldn't go amiss to make it sound a little more organic. I actually highly recommend using Guitar Rig 5 to record the guitar and bass, the presets are damn useful.

Levels, compression, reverb and panning are all a real bitch to get right. Just work at it and make your own sound.
Last edited by Spaz91 at Aug 19, 2014,
Quote by Spaz91
It wasn't nearly as flimsy as I was expecting from a guitarist, good job. Maybe consider letting the notes play out a little longer, eight notes rather than staccato.

One the mixing side, the general rule is to have the bass in the centre but they be more like guidelines. Some slight reverb wouldn't go amiss to make it sound a little more organic. I actually highly recommend using Guitar Rig 5 to record the guitar and bass, the presets are damn useful.

Levels, compression, reverb and panning are all a real bitch to get right. Just work at it and make your own sound.

thanks. Im pretty sure im resting my hand fairly strongly on the low e, so im getting a lot of muting etc. The "B" section I sort of wanted staccato to match the guitar to make the whole thing contrast with the more ringing stuff in the "A" section

Plus im probably scared to let stuff ring too much since I might have played something stupid so I want to play something else quickly lol

I have another one that I recorded like the first time I played the bass. (Ive only had it like 2.5 weeks lol.) The other one is in a basic e7th vamp deal so it was a lot easier to play IMO using the open e and hitting the low maj 3rd and higher maj3rd on the A string. Its sort of groovy motowny IMO

Guitar Rig....yeah, I am just getting back into serious playing and am discovering all the new toys. I have mixed feelings about gtr rig type software. I see all these guys with massive tones etc. At first its impressive but then after a few minutes they all sound the same. Then they switch guitars and the amp sim sound is so huge etc that it doesnt even matter what guitar they use.

Obviously I see the benefits too. I am in an apartment and I have a nice 100 watt Carvin tube amp but I simply cant use it because its way too loud lol. I can turn it down to a whisper but then I have to have the mike up so high that it picks up the chair squeaking etc. I guess I need a power soak lol. Or maybe I can rig up a different preamp and play thru the Carvin power section only. The carvin sounds real warm.

So the tone on the recording is a Fender stage 185 solid state and SM57. old school, cest la vie
Quote by Spaz91

One the mixing side, the general rule is to have the bass in the centre but they be more like guidelines.

I think I have it slightly left and the gtr only slightly right. I havent sussed out the Reaper DAW enough yet to fully understand what is stereo and what isnt. Its crazy the amount of work that goes into just recording a basic little snippet. Massive learning curves at every turn