When people say they are "self taught" do they mean they literally learned to play without the use of external influences such as books, videos, or the internet?
Or does it just mean they learned to play without a teacher or professional lessons?
I learned rhythmic guitar without any teachers or lessons and I am currently also learning lead through internet videos. Do I count as self taught, or does it only apply for people who picked up the instrument and kept trying stuff out until they were able to play?
I was self taught picked up a guitar, and tried to play it when I was 8
Never relying on the internet apart from tabs
Quote by ls2014
Or does it just mean they learned to play without a teacher or professional lessons?
I learned rhythmic guitar without any teachers or lessons and I am currently also learning lead through internet videos. Do I count as self taught...?

I think yes because otherwise "self-taught" guitarist is the one who was unlucky to stick on a remote desert island with a guitar.
Why do you care? No, really, why do you care? What does it matter if you can call yourself self taught or not?
Quote by Jet Penguin
Theory: Not rules, just tools.

Quote by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here
When people say they're "self-taught", it usually means that they didn't have a tutor.

In reality they learnt from a wide variety of sources - books, tabs, videos and bandmates.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
In my opinion, self taught = without being with a physical one-on-one or group lessons teacher whether it be in person or via video calls
Gear:
- ESP LTD MH-50
- Strandberg OS 7
- A cheap fender strat knock-off not worth naming
- Garageband
- Boss GT-1
- Potato
Quote by ls2014
When people say they are "self taught" do they mean they literally learned to play without the use of external influences such as books, videos, or the internet?
I learned rhythmic guitar without any teachers or lessons and I am currently also learning lead through internet videos. Do I count as self taught, or does it only apply for people who picked up the instrument and kept trying stuff out until they were able to play?
I think with the plethora of sources for tabs, internet instruction, music programs in colleges, and private instructors available nowadays, you'd have to live on a mountain top, in a one room cabin, with nothing but an AM table radio, to be fully able to claim the title, "self taught", in this day and age. Sorry, if that's not what you wanted to hear.

Besides, if you lived down here in the valley with the rest of us, and had enough strength of character to ignore all those sources of instruction, you'd probably just piss everybody off anyway..
Last edited by Captaincranky at Jan 31, 2017,
You're self-taught if you were your only teacher. Teachers use materials to teach so it's fair if you use the same materials.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
If you were truly self taught, you'd probably be an awful guitarist.
Soundcloud
Quote by Tony Done
chrismendiola

I agree that the term is an oxymoron, but I take it to mean "without a teacher", where "teacher" is a person with whom you can interact while playing.

Yeah, I believe that is the most accepted use of the term. But since the internet it doesn't really mean the same thing anymore. Sure you can't get direct feedback or ask questions, but you can most definitely get all your questions answered and any technique explained in 100 different ways. I'd say that the word is slowly losing it's meaning and that "self taught" in the year 2017 is quite different from "self taught" in 1997.
Les Paul was self taught and never had a lesson (just re-read his autobiography), Django Reinhart never took lessons and hundreds of thousands of other excellent players learned to play without a teacher. I wouldn't refer to them as "awful" guitar players. I do think a teacher can make you a better player faster.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Feb 2, 2017,
Quote by Rickholly74
Les Paul was self taught and never had a lesson (just re-read his autobiography), Django Reinhart never took lessons and hundreds of thousands of other excellent players learned to play without a teacher. I wouldn't refer to them as "awful" guitar players. I do think a teacher can make you a better player faster.

Did each of them figure out the major scale for themselves? Make up note names? Not listen or watch other people play music? Actively ignore advice from fellow musicians?

If not, they weren't completely self taught. That's what I was getting at when I say that a truly self taught guitarist would be an awful player.
Soundcloud
I guess you could call yourself self-taught if you weren't tutored at any point.
AlanHB  The definition of self taught is "having acquired knowledge or skill on one's own initiative rather than through formal instruction or training." It doesn't mean anyone figured out some purely on their own. For this reason people who make statements like, "you can teach yourself what you don't know" or "that they had to learn from other even if they listened." These statements aren't what self taught is about. Some of the other communities are right, self taught simply means not being taught the formal way or with a teacher. If you had to gather your own books, create your own practice schedule and teach yourself from a variety of resources, you are self taught. I think some people take the name too literal. It is because of people's literal approach to the name that it appears to be an oxymoron. I disagree that it is. 
ls2014 If you learn through informal means or without a personal teacher, tutor or one on one instruction, than yes you are considered self taught. It may seem contradictory since someone is teaching you through the sources, but actually it's not. It's a matter of you having to understand for yourself without the help of someone there to guide you or answer questions. You have to try to understand the best you can on your own. The resources aren't being counted as the teacher, but an actual person being there to do the teaching from the resources. Without a teacher, you have to teach yourself from the resources. One theory I've heard is that if a person doesn't want to be taught than they won't, even if someone explains it to them. It depends on if you put effort to listen and understand what's being said. If not, than no one can teach you. So I agree there are different opinions on how being taught or learning truly functions. 

I don't see any reason as to why self taught is a title that should be avoided, no more than when musicians say they are educated. Both are respected titles and perfectly fine. I'm self taught, have invested over a $100 in books, videos, and watched YouTube. I choose not to take lessons for two reasons, I can't afford it and because I love discovering things for myself. I've played with educated musicians. None of us felt bothered by the other, and we had fun, I learned from them they learned from me. Equal terms really. Knowing whether you are considered educated or self taught is good to know, it's a way to identify yourself. But I'd o feel educated and self taught musicians get too caught up these titles that it distracts from music is really about. As long you aren't getting distracted, it's fine to know what you would be considered or what you could consider yourself to be. 
HeavyMetal1993 So basically we agree that the colloquial use of "self-taught" doesn't reflect it's actual meaning, because you are still learning from external sources.

Perhaps instead of "self-taught" people should say "no personalised lessons". 
Soundcloud
Look, the way I see it is, that a lot of people have "taught themselves how to read." How? By have a book, a previous knowledge of the English language(or whatever language you speak). Nobody with no language skills, without the abiltity to speak, or ever having heard a word, can teach themselves a language. The idea of that is ridiculous. Now if they really did just have a written book, and learned the letters through context, than kudos to them, they are a self taught reader. If I know nothing of music theory, but have access to tabs, chord charts, and have heard music before, it is the same thing. 
LittleMartin
I like Jeff Berlin's definition: Anyone that chooses to learn something of their own accord that wasnt administered by an instructor; And that every contemporary musician is self taught in one way or another. If at any point you learnt a technique, or some theory, or a song etc. on your own terms in your own time, you are to a degree a self taught musician. It provides a very simple rule as to whether you can yourself self taught or not, and it abolishes this weird stigma against taught musicians, like somehow you're a more intellectual player if you taught yourself. We're all self taught, we've all at one point out another taken learning into our own hands. When people ask me if I was tutored or if I'm self taught, my answer is "Yes".
Quote by Fat Lard
post of the year, thank you
You're self taught if you didn't have a teacher.
This idea that many people are alluding to that you're self taught if you never had any resources is absurd.
You use the resources to teach yourself.
Rock [James] Roll
I'd like to point out that this thread is from 2014.

Which I realized just now.
Quote by Jet Penguin
Theory: Not rules, just tools.

Quote by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here