I have been playing for 7 years now and only ever owned a 40W Line 6 modelling amp (Spider Valve 112), and now I want to try something different.

I have decided to go with the Marshall Tattoo JVM Half Stack at 1 Watt. - But I don't want the cabinet that comes with it. So which cabinet do I get?

My local music shop doesn't have a range for me to try, so I am a bit stuck. I have been looking at the the following ones online, but honestly I have no idea which one to go for as I haven't had much experience with cabinets:

- Bogner Shiva Closed Back Dual Ported
- Orange PPC112
- Engl EN112R Retro Cabinet

They are all 1x12.

I have no chance of hearing them in person before I buy, so can anyone offer me some advice please on which I should get. Generally I play Blues, Rock and Metal.
Harley Benton 1X12/2X12 with V30's if you're in Europe.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
You sure you want that amp?

I mean, there are far better sounding and more versatile amps for the money, and it's not a hell of an idea if you want something good and portable either.

Also there is no best cab.
The sound of different cabs is different, and for blues, rock and metal I'd say a cab with one or two Creamback's or creampback copies would work, though I don't really know of cabs that come with them speakers so you might wanna look into custom cabs.

Avatar or Zilla's what I would choose, depending on your location.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Dont get the JVM 1 watt.

You could probably get a used JVM205h for the same price.....

what style of music do you play?

as Spambot said, different cabs work for different styles.
My Rig:
Maverick F-1, Ibanez RG1527, Schecter Omen 8
Marshall JVM 410H,
Hand built 4x12 w/ V30s
Current board:
PXL LIVE
TU2
WHAMMY IV
MXR M132
MXR M101
TIMMY
NS2
MXR M108
XOTIC EP
TC DREAMSCAPE
DL8
Spambot, which amps?

I know it seems a lot for 1W, and I have seen some really nice 50/60W heads for a similar price, but my 40W is far too loud for home practice; I can't turn the volume past 1.

As I only play at home, I want a good quality low power amp and I thought the JVM would suit that.

Everyone keeps telling me that a 1W isn't worth the money. I could make my own small 18W Class A SE tube amp, but even that would cost me a minimum of 500 in parts.

loki_lulamen, I play mainly Rock and Metal. I think the Orange or Bogner might be best.
Quote by LivinJoke84
Youre gonna drop the best part of £600 on a 1w amp?!

Holy crap. I have an EVJr head that has the Mercury Magnetics Mod ($290 for parts, another $100 to have someone else put it together) and I thought THAT was nuts.

I have a Carvin Belair 50W with the Hasserl Stage II mods and a pair of Vintage 30's, and the total bill on that with a complete re-tube (the Belair was used, I paid for the mods) was well under $500 and the overall result is serious boutique quality sound.

Gotta hand it to those marketing departments. They're doing their job.
Quote by HVTubeMaker
loki_lulamen, I play mainly Rock and Metal. I think the Orange or Bogner might be best.

Jet City all the way!

They are cheap, designed by soldano and are great quality.

i would go for either the 22 or the 50 watt.

I have heard that the 50w is easier to control volume wise.
My Rig:
Marshall JVM 410H,
Hand built 4x12 w/ V30s
Current board:
PXL LIVE
TU2
WHAMMY IV
MXR M132
MXR M101
TIMMY
NS2
MXR M108
XOTIC EP
TC DREAMSCAPE
DL8
Quote by loki_lulamen
Dont get the JVM 1 watt.

You could probably get a used JVM205h for the same price.....

Exactly. That's some pretty expensive screen printing they got going there.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Exactly. That's some pretty expensive screen printing they got going there.

Actually, the 1W head isn't even screen printed. The matching cabinet is but that costs an additional £320, which I agree is a bit much.

Quote by dspellman
Gotta hand it to those marketing departments. They're doing their job.

Actually credit should go to the design department, I wouldn't look twice if it wasn't white/cream. I think its one of the best looking Marshall heads.
You've got enough money to buy a real amp.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
You've got enough money to buy a real amp.

Please, what do you consider a real amp?

Money isn't really an issue. I want a tube amp under 20W so I can really drive the tubes, without having the police coming to visit.

I only play at home, not in a band.
JVM 1 watt thing isn't worth it. I tried it, it doesn't even come close to the 205h. Get a used JVM205h and a Harley Benton 2x12 with vintage 30's. It will blow your socks off.
Guitars:
ESP LTD EX 50 with Dimarzios
Modified MIM Fender strat with schaller floyd rose
LTD EC-1000 with EMG's
2x LTD EC 401

Amps:
Marshall JVM205h
Fender Mustang II

Other bits and pieces:
D'addario strings
TC electronic g-major 2
if you wanna go for hard rock and metal then you would most likely want pre amp gain.

A Jet city or the JVM 205h witch have buckets of pre amp gain on tap.

even a 1 watt through a 2x12 at full volume will be pretty loud
My Rig:
Marshall JVM 410H,
Hand built 4x12 w/ V30s
Current board:
PXL LIVE
TU2
WHAMMY IV
MXR M132
MXR M101
TIMMY
NS2
MXR M108
XOTIC EP
TC DREAMSCAPE
DL8
But for that money you could get a Pod HD for home use and save the money for a 50w amp in case you start gigging. You might find you join a band a year or two from now and suddenly a 1w amp is no good and, to be honest, i think youd struggle to sell it.

Amps have volume controls on em you know! And unless you really want power tube distortion just turn the gain up if you want it to get dirtier.

In the end its your money and you can literally flush it down the bog for all i care but i could not, in all good conciousness, be able to recommend you spend £570 on a 1w amp.

Besides, you do realise 1w is loud as funk anyway (for use in an average home) so you might find you wont be able to crank it anywhere near as much as you might think
Last edited by LivinJoke84 at Aug 20, 2014,
Quote by LivinJoke84
But for that money you could get a Pod HD for home use and save the money for a 50w amp in case you start gigging.

+1
My Rig:
Marshall JVM 410H,
Hand built 4x12 w/ V30s
Current board:
PXL LIVE
TU2
WHAMMY IV
MXR M132
MXR M101
TIMMY
NS2
MXR M108
XOTIC EP
TC DREAMSCAPE
DL8
You couldn't drive the power tubes even in a 1w amp if you want practice volumes y' know.

Also there's no shame nor problem in keeping the master volume control in a low setting.
It's made to attenuate the volume so use it for ****'s sake.

Also a smaller amp isn't gonna sound better than the same amp with more power at low volumes.

You want distortion?
They put the pre gain control, usually labeled "gain" on amps for distortion at reasonable volumes.

If I was you, I'd get a high gain Jet City + a custom cab, or a Jet City combo.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
I guess another reason for the price is because its limited edition.

The amp has an option of 1W or .1W - but I am not sure now. I had heard good things about this amp until I came here.

There are a lot of options, but I am starting to think I will just build my own class A 50W with a high quality attenuator.
Ibanez Prestige RG-3550Z
Fender Strat Select HSS
Gibson LP Traditional Pro
Gibson ES-335
Gibson LP Studio
Ibanez AEL20E

Line6/Bogner Spider Valve 112
Quote by HVTubeMaker
Please, what do you consider a real amp?

Money isn't really an issue. I want a tube amp under 20W so I can really drive the tubes, without having the police coming to visit.

I only play at home, not in a band.

Well as mentioned earlier, a JVM205.
A JCA22H would be a better option as well.

Hell, if you really think that you will never play with a drummer, a Baron Snott Watt.

But seriously, you're NEVER going to want to jam with a drummer? Really?

You mentioned the 18W Marshall. If that is the tone you actually want, (and I don't blame you, I build them myself) then, seeing as how you are in the UK; this:
http://www.valvepower.co.uk/18w_amp.htm
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by HVTubeMaker
I guess another reason for the price is because its limited edition.

The amp has an option of 1W or .1W - but I am not sure now. I had heard good things about this amp until I came here.

There are a lot of options, but I am starting to think I will just build my own class A 50W with a high quality attenuator.

Do you care that its a limited edition? Cos if not then youre paying extra for something you dont want. It would probably be half the price if it wasnt "limited edition", can you handle that?

Also, it probably is a good amp, but not £570 good. I bet youre paying about £300 on top of what the amp would normally retail at cos of the limited edition aspect.

It seems to me this is the sort of thing that collectors, not players, buy.

Which are you?
Quote by Cathbard
But seriously, you're NEVER going to want to jam with a drummer? Really?

You mentioned the 18W Marshall. If that is the tone you actually want, (and I don't blame you, I build them myself) then, seeing as how you are in the UK; this:
http://www.valvepower.co.uk/18w_amp.htm

I never said never, I actually plan on building a high power Class A parallel SE amp next (still designing the circuit, using the 6C33), but I wanted to try a commercial one first, as I have only ever used a Line6 and I heard the tone on them really suck in comparison to other brands.

The reason I don't really want a 50W right now is because my Line6 40W is too hard to control, it is barely on, a fraction of a turn and its too loud.

I was originally looking at the Laney Ironheart, but I think it will be quite limited to the heavy stuff. I think the Marshall JVM will be more versatile.

Although I hate to admit it, looks are important, and the Marshall in white just looks really good.
Ibanez Prestige RG-3550Z
Fender Strat Select HSS
Gibson ES-335
Gibson LP Studio
Ibanez AEL20E

Quote by LivinJoke84
It would probably be half the price if it wasnt "limited edition", can you handle that?

Also, it probably is a good amp, but not £570 good. I bet youre paying about £300 on top of what the amp would normally retail at cos of the limited edition aspect.

Completely agree, I do like when something is limited, but I think these days it doesn't mean much because companies bring out a limited line every year now. I think the amp is probably over double what it should be.
Ibanez Prestige RG-3550Z
Fender Strat Select HSS
Gibson ES-335
Gibson LP Studio
Ibanez AEL20E

The Ironheart, even though it was designed for rock/metal, will be a lot more versatile than the JVM1.

The JVM1 was designed to be a single sound amp... To give the one signature ound of the JVM at 1watt and be a gimmick.

The ironheart is a properly designed amp to give a wide variety of tones.
My Rig:
Marshall JVM 410H,
Hand built 4x12 w/ V30s
Current board:
PXL LIVE
TU2
WHAMMY IV
MXR M132
MXR M101
TIMMY
NS2
MXR M108
XOTIC EP
TC DREAMSCAPE
DL8
Last edited by loki_lulamen at Aug 21, 2014,
Your right, the Laney's are more versatile, and the 15W version is only 300. The 60W head looks like it has a really good attenuator on it as well.

The 50W Lionheart looks nice too, but expensive. Think I am just going to build my own.
Ibanez Prestige RG-3550Z
Fender Strat Select HSS
Gibson ES-335
Gibson LP Studio
Ibanez AEL20E

Last edited by HVTubeMaker at Aug 21, 2014,