Hey Guys and Gals!

I'm curious as to people's thoughts on using a physical metronome vs. a digital metronome , like an iPhone app or website for example. I was thinking about purchasing a physical metronome for 20 bucks or so but didn't know how *necessary* this was.

Thanks!
Not particularly necessary. I grew up with the stock swinging metronome and there ARE differences, thanks to the visual of the "beam" swinging (I could anticipate the beat slightly). But you can even find a representation of that on some of the phone apps.

Same deal with tuners. Some great tuner apps out there. Other than for live performance, there's really not a whole lot of reason to have a dedicated one.
I would never use a software based one as it could miss a beat if you have other heavy processes running. - I expect it will work fine though if you don't want to spend much.

I personally prefer to use a physical (digital) one. My amplifier and loop pedal have metronomes built in so I have about 5 metronomes now.
I don't suggest mechanical ones though, as they are limited in volume and a pain to keep winding up, although the expensive ones do look classy.
Quote by HVTubeMaker
I would never use a software based one as it could miss a beat if you have other heavy processes running. - I expect it will work fine though if you don't want to spend much.

Just a question: Have you ever ever ever had that actually happen? My son (he plays violin not guitar though) and I have been using software based metronomes for almost as long as there have been smartphone apps with no issues at all.
There are very few advantages to a mechanical metronome. Digital offers so many features that it's hard to argue with. You can plug it in for more volume, you can have time signature beats, you can subdivide, tap in a tempo, change the sound, all sorts of things you just can't do with a mechanical metronome.

I have a mechanical metronome, a digital one, and an app for my phone. I almost always just use the app. I use a free one called Mobile Metronome. I think most people would get everything they need from a phone app.

As mentioned above, there is something nice about the pendulum action on a mechanical metronome, and they do have a satisfying sound to them, but I haven't touched mine in years. A free app is kind of a no-brainer.
Quote by Jeffh40
Just a question: Have you ever ever ever had that actually happen? My son (he plays violin not guitar though) and I have been using software based metronomes for almost as long as there have been smartphone apps with no issues at all.

I have had my phone randomly restart itself without asking me, to do a software update. I wasn't using a metronome at the time, but I could have been. I was actually half way though writing a text, and had to wait 20 mins for the update to install, it didn't even ask me.

But I do agree that it is unlikely there will be any problem with it. I just prefer to have a dedicated one. - it might put you off if your phone rings though, so that is another reason not to use one.

I don't like it when 1 item tries to do everything...
I have a physical metronome, but I haven't touched the thing in years. It's pretty much become an ornamental doo-dad.

I use digital metronomes on my PC or laptop (whichever I'm using at the time). Never had a problem with 'em.
When I was eleven I broke the patio window and my mother sued me... She's always been a very aggressive litigator.
I like the physical better, easier to walk around with one, also very helpful during a session as you don't have to fiddle with stuff, but besides that both work just as well. Lately I am just working with the one off of my DAW.
Quote by bish0p3473
I find it's easier to use a drum beat. Some daws come drums stuff built in, or a free sample of EZDrummer. I take a simple kick-snare-kick-kick-snare beat and use that.

+1
A lot better to rehearse with drum loops (or real drummer).
Agree with drums of any kind are better. You could probably find a cheap multifx with drums used on CL for under $50. You can get a new Zoom with looper and drums for $50.