Hello!

Yesterday I purchased the Peavey Revalver 4 (kind of an impulse buy). My current audio interface is a Pod HD500x. Until now when I played at home I plugged into a Tech21 Power Engine 60 and use the L6 editor to make patches.

To use RV4 my chain is as follows Guitar -> Pod (clean patch or bypassed) ->PC with Studio Dock speakers (either connected to pc via usb or to POD 1/4'out->rca in)

I am not really satisfied with the tone (whereas it seems many others sing praises for RV4), feels clunky, laggy (PC is stronk i7,16gb 1666mhz ram etc)

What would help most?

1)Proper Audio interface? Something like a Scarlet 2i2 or 2i4?
2)Better monitors?
3)Better way to chain/connect things?

Thanks for your time
A scarlet won't lag. Unless you have a really slow computer or are doing A LOT of processing itb. I would recommend any small interface like that. The Scarlett are known for being the transparent compare to others in that price range. I've tried many and that's the one that I use for recording small stuff on the go.

Good speakers would be nice, but if the account ice in your room aren't right(which chances are they are not), spending hundreds on speakers would nearly pointless.

I would invest in a quality pair of headphone and learn what they sound like.
I have a good pair of headphones! AKG K171 mkII. But currently I use them only for listening to music late at night. That's because the Pod didn't really like them. They are different resistance than what L6 suggests for usage with Pods. Also it was pointless to use them for tone-shaping, because what sounded adequate through the AKGs was horrible through PA (when gigging), Power Engine and Studio Docks.

So a Scarlet will most probably improve things then.

Would you buy this: http://www.thomann.de/gr/focusrite_scarlett_2i2_toontrack_bundle.htm
or just go for a 2i4?

Thanks a lot man!

edit: btw the speakers are these Samson Studio Dock 4i
I thought they were adequate for a hobbyist like me
Last edited by Deledhel at Aug 20, 2014,
Scarlett's don't sound much good, and it won't improve things much.
It won't improve them at all if you're using fairly distorted sounds.
For guitars, an HD500x is gonna be just fine.

Do you have ASIO4ALL installed?
Also how are you not satisfied with your tone?
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
I have the L6 hd500x specific ASIO driver.

By saying "not satisfied" I really mean "not blown away like mostly everyone else". Mid-High gain sounds (through monitors) are already better than the Pod with nowhere near as much tweaking required. At 128 samples get me 3ms latency which somehow feels more. I was mainly asking how could I improve things.
You could install the ASIO4ALL drivers, lower the buffer size and practice with revalver.

Also don't ever use the clean patch on the POD, bypass it, else you'll likely get an exaggeratedly middy and mushy sound.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
I can guarantee you that an interface(especially one with the transparency of a Scarlett) will improve sound quality. You audio card is most likely far from transparent and can likely cause a lot of unwanted distortion. I can't speak for the USB on the back of the Pod, but I'm guessing that it is not as good as a device that is specifically designed to transfer audio via USB.
Quote by klintala
I can't speak for the USB on the back of the Pod, but I'm guessing that it is not as good as a device that is specifically designed to transfer audio via USB.
Both the pod and the scarlett serve in part as ADC's, and converion in the pod's pretty important, so why wouldn't it sound as good as a less than average audio interface?
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
I've always had fairly good results with Line 6's own drivers for my Pod Studio UX1 (through USB) but it was an utter pain in the arse to set up.
If you're having any problems with latency or stuttering audio, try out my settings:

Driver operating at: 44100Hz; 16 bit
ASIO Client: (none)
Default Buffer Size: 512
Default Bit Depth :16 bit

---------------------------------------------
ToneDirect & USB Audio Streaming:
Buffer Size;
------Extra Small
-------------- (slider here)
------Medium
--------------
------Extra Large
------
Quote by CorrosionMedia
I've always had fairly good results with Line 6's own drivers for my Pod Studio UX1 (through USB) but it was an utter pain in the arse to set up.
If you're having any problems with latency or stuttering audio, try out my settings:

Driver operating at: 44100Hz; 16 bit
ASIO Client: (none)
Default Buffer Size: 512
Default Bit Depth :16 bit

ToneDirect & USB Audio Streaming:
Buffer Size;
------Extra Small
-------------- (slider here)
------Medium
--------------
------Extra Large
------

That bolded part is an issue. ASIO is the best way to record instruments via USB. If you're not using ASIO, there's an issue.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
That bolded part is an issue. ASIO is the best way to record instruments via USB. If you're not using ASIO, there's an issue.

Oh, I'm using ASIO, but the line 6 driver doesn't show there for some reason.
Quote by CorrosionMedia
Oh, I'm using ASIO, but the line 6 driver doesn't show there for some reason.

That's odd that it doesn't show...

Disregard me then.