Greetings, UG!

I am leaving for uni in 5 days and sadly will not be able to take any of my guitars with me, at least for now. What this means is that they won't be played until I get home for Christmas.

Is leaving guitars and not playing them for a couple of months actually damaging to them (I know the strings will get old and busted, but this is no issue)? Should I loosen the strings and truss rod or something? Anything else I should be aware of?

I am talking about an acoustic guitar (Fender CD-140SCE with a solid top board), an electric (Squier Affinity Strat) and a bass guitar (Squier VM Jaguar bass). All of my guitars have gig bags and there is no risk of them falling over or whatever, since they will not be touched.

*I realize this isn't only about an acoustic guitar, but I didn't know where to post this thread, please excuse me.
Arguably, all you really should do, is slacken the strings somewhat. Probably down to D-d or a bit lower. This is particularly critical with the acoustic.

There's no need to touch the truss rod. With that said, it may need a bit of a temporary tweaking, when you bring the instruments back up to concert pitch.

Lower string tension may cause a touch of "back bend" in the neck. When you bring the guitar(s), back up to pitch, there may be a time lag for the initial setting to return.

So, there is the possibility you could have to put relief in the neck with the truss rod adjuster, and then remove some of it later on, when the system reaches its original equilibrium.

Another consideration would be humidity. But I don't see a way of managing that, without another person monitoring and correcting it while you're away.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Aug 20, 2014,
yea the acoustic in the case with a humidifier is the way, but the humidifier will run dry by xmas if no one fills it up.

You really should be bringing that to uni! Learn some songs that get the ladies wet in the pants. Drunk girls love guitar!
Quote by babysmasher
yea the acoustic in the case with a humidifier is the way, but the humidifier will run dry by xmas if no one fills it up.

You really should be bringing that to uni! Learn some songs that get the ladies wet in the pants. Drunk girls love guitar!

It's a damned shame they banned methaqualone also.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Aug 20, 2014,
Quote by babysmasher
Learn some songs that get the ladies wet in the pants. Drunk girls love guitar!

You bet, and they don't have to be drunk. I got two wives (not concurrently) by serenading them . And it was even the same song, over 20 years apart. For a not insignificant fee I will tell you what the song was.

I would store it in the case with the strings loosened a little. Be aware that padded cases can hold a lot of moisture in their linings, so I would leave the case open in the sun for a bit before using it.
Take one guitar at least.

While Uni is always a busy place (at least for me) if you don't keep playing you'll forget how to play. I started learning in 2005. Played well for two years. I went to Uni for three years (2007 - 2010) and didn't take my guitars. I only played during my Christmas and summer breaks. The loss of skill was frightening.

Again, take one guitar. Rattle through some tunes before bed. It'll help.
A good guitarist is one who questions himself, is critical of his abilities and is modest towards other peoples abilities and techniques.

Anyone els is from America.
Last edited by Dunn at Aug 22, 2014,
Take the acoustic with you. Maybe you'll only play it a few times a semester, but maybe you'll find others to play with, too. It'll easily go under your dorm bed or in the closet.
My reverbnation page

2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73 Epi 6830E
72 Fender Telecaster
Epi Dot Studio
Epi LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e uke
antique banjolin