I've finally acquired and set up my treat to myself for working so hard.

I'm having serious problems though.

They're picking up all kinds of noise, hum and interferance from my PC. I've done process of elimination and determined that my mixer is not the problem, or is negligible. They are crystal clear with nothing plugged in, and with just my POD HD plugged straight in. But as soon as my PC is involved, they just spit out all kinds of noise. Very frustrating because I spent so much time doing cable management and all that in my excitement. ha.

Any suggestions? My first thought was because I'm not using any TRS or XLR cables from the PC, just RCAs. But idk if that alone would cause so much noise (it's not ignorable).

Quote by mmolteratx
Probably an issue with your sound card. It's a fairly common issue. Do you have an external DAC to try it with?

No, what do they do? I'm using 3.5mm out from my PC, split into RCA L+R to my mixer, then mixer output L to one monitor and R to the other. The outputs are RCA, the inputs on my monitors are RCA unbalanced, 1/4" TRS balanced or XLR balanced. I only have a few cables to work with - some of the ones I ordered haven't shown up yet.

I've read that it could just be a power issue, since I have everything on the same strip. Will this help at all, or do I need to actually be on a separate breaker?

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Monster-Power-PowerCenter-PRO-200-104597729-i1172345.gc
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
You mention a mixer, but I guess that really isn't in the sound chain? The noise is from your computer's OEM soundcard - they are typically made with about $0.69 worth of parts, are designed for producing the 'beeps and boops' of computer sounds, as well as low quality reproduction of online sounds.
Get an audio interface (USB connection to your computer is most common). This will take the place of your $0.69 soundcard.
My reverbnation page

2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73 Epi 6830E
72 Fender Telecaster
Epi Dot Studio
Epi LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e uke
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Quote by MikeBmusic
You mention a mixer, but I guess that really isn't in the sound chain? The noise is from your computer's OEM soundcard - they are typically made with about $0.69 worth of parts, are designed for producing the 'beeps and boops' of computer sounds, as well as low quality reproduction of online sounds.
Get an audio interface (USB connection to your computer is most common). This will take the place of your $0.69 soundcard.

Yep, there it is.

Also, although they aren't causing this particular problem, it is best to shut off wi-fi when possible and keep cell phones away from the recording rig (and the whole studio if possible, for a number of reasons). The minute I start tracking, my phone goes across the apartment so there won't be any interference.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
A DAC is a digital to analog converter, which converts the audio from 1's and 0's to a continuous stream of electricity, that your monitors cant interpret.

A good DAC will greatly improve the quality and reduce the noise floor a bit or a lot, depending on how bad your sound card is and how good the DAC you're thinking about buying is.

If you also need something to record stuff, get a full featured audio interface, while if you only need monitoring get a Music Streamer II or II+.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
I would get a proper audio interface as your next upgrade. The static is mostly likely some kind of ground issue. Try plugging your computer in on a different circuit. I would have it heard the actual noise for sure but it could also be bad input/output jacks on your computer. I've never heard a convert static just because it went bad. It's either a connection issue or ground issue.

I'm not saying it isn't possible though.
I use my mixer to easily adjust levels for my PC and my interface. I have a Focusrite Saffire 6 USB.

PC 3.5mm stereo -> RCA L+R -> Mixer RCA L+R
Saffire RCA L+R -> Mixer RCA L+R
Mixer RCA L+R Output -> Eris E5 L & Eris E5 R, unbalanced.

I only connect my POD HD inyo y Saffire, only for playing through my PC.

When I connect instrument cables from my POD L+R out directly into the E5s (balanced), there is no hiss/static or interference at all. I've messed around with them some more and I think the RCA cables are my problem.

I want to add a Radial MC3 to my chain, I think that would eliminate the problem. Meanwhile I got an adapter today to connect balanced XLR cables to the RCA outs on my mixer.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
No, wait.

First of all, connect the saffire to the computer, use that as audio output device, and connect that to the monitors without passing through the mixer.
When you want to play with the pod, use the hardware monitoring on the saffire.

Then, the radial would most likely not solve your problem.
Why do you think it would anyway?

Then, cables aren't balanced or unbalanced by design.
Signal lines are balanced or unbalanced, and you can't convert an unbal line to a bal line using an adapter, you need a line balancer, which is a circuit involving stuff, or a transformer.
The signal going into your monitors is unbalanced if it starts from an RCA out.

Also what outputs from the pod are you using to go to the monitors?

And is there any noticeable noise when going from the pod to the interface and then to the monitors without passing through the mixer?
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
I will mess with that tomorrow. I have never had luck with USB audio, always issues. Using the analog signal is just a lot easier to me, no such thing as driver issues or unrecognized signals. But I will try it regardless.

The Radial has 1/4" balanced outs, not RCA. From what I understand.

Is the 3.5mm stereo out from a PC balanced or unbalanced? Is there a balancing unit in particular you could point me toward so I can get an idea of what you're talking about?

The 1/4" Left / Right outputs from the POD, each one to a monitor.

I will try POD -> Saffire -> E5s tomorrow as well. I haven't thrown the Saffire into the mix at all thus far.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
PC is unbalanced but that's not the problem. The problem is that your PC soundcard is probably producing noise (they're usually pretty crap, even the 'good' ones) so balancing the signal won't do jack.
^ I second that - since you're using unbal lines to go from the pod to the monitors without encountering any noticeable noise, the problem's in the computer's sound card.

The good ones are good indeed though.

Also you're working with a computer, you're not working with analog audio alone in any situation.
Using the USB interface and ditching the computer's sound card and the mixer will most certainly solve your problem.

Anyway, look up how bal lines work on wikipedia.
In short, you have two cores conducting the same and opposite signal, and these pass through a differential amplifier when they get decoded, so to have a bal line you need to dedicate at least 3 cores per line.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Last edited by Spambot_2 at Aug 23, 2014,
I don't know if I mentioned before or not, but when I connect the monitors to the output on my mixer, nothing else in the chain (PC not connected at all), they still pick up the interference and static.

That's why I feel like it's an RCA problem. No noise with 1/4", as far as I can tell.

Can't it simply be a cable shielding issue?

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
That's just it. use the balanced 1/4" outputs on the saffire 6 with TRS cables to the monitors directly. Focusrite drivers are incredibly stable, don't worry about that.

And for god's sake get rid of that mixer, you just narrowed down your problem.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.