Hey Guys. I'm new to the forums, not new to forums. I love the forums. Anyway, I got myself f some guitar equipment yesterday and I wuz hoping to play, I'm just getting started. I bought myself a Red Baby Z Guitar and a Vox Mini 3 Amp and heres where my the problem is, this amp has like effects, but I can't find the right ones to play certain songs. I wuz just wondering what kind of stuff I can play on this thing. I really wanna play a lot of alternative rock. I want to start off with The Raconteurs Steady as She Goes but if I could just play any other song that would be great. Heres a link that's great for explaining the effects of the amp (certain distortions). Thanx.
the mini 3 is a modelling amp and as such is really versatile. you should be able to play most stuff on it.

unfortunately, i think that sounds like a fuzz pedal to me, and the mini3 doesn't have a fuzz pedal model.

i'd probably try one of the vintage style amp models with the gain turned up a fair bit (black 2x12, tweed 4x10, ac15 or ac30) and see how that sounds. use the bridge pickup (and it sounds pretty trebly so keep the tone knob on the amp turned up a fair bit), and have the volume and tone knobs up full on the guitar.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
very nice. thanks. it sounds pretty good so far, but I need to practice a bit more. I don't know if it really sounds like it, like you said. So do you have that amp? Do you know stuff I can play on it? I hate to be such a bother.
yeah i have one. and no problem, you're not a bother at all. if i'd known about online forums when i started playing i'd have been more bother than the entire membership of this forum put together

as i said, you can pretty much play anything on it (though some amp models are better than others).

the trick is knowing what the amp models are implying that they're based on, and then knowing the type of music which would generally be played on that type of amp. (and also using your ears because, as I said, some of the amp models are better than others so a different, "less authentic", amp model might well sound better than the "more authentic" one )

BTQ clean is based on a dumble. I guess you'd use it for jazz, jazz/blues and stuff like that. Stuff like robben ford etc. Or even just for general clean tones.

black 2x12 is based on a blackface fender twin. that's basically what most guitar players think of when they think of nice cleans- sparkly, scooped mids. Most clean tones will sound good on this model. also bluesier tones. E.g. eric johnson's clean tones, or Stevie Ray vaughan-style blues should sound good here.

tweed 4x10 is based on a fender bassman. it's a sort of raunchier, dirtier, more middy type of fender tone. it'll work for cleans but also for sort of more american-style classic rock overdrive. I will say that I think the tweed model is maybe the worst model in the whole amp. They've overdone the mids to the point where (to my ears) it nearly sounds like you have a half-cocked wah on all the time. But it's still worth a try, in case you like it.

vox ac15- based on a vox ac15. Will work well for british-style cleans and not too heavy distortion.

vox ac30- based on voc ac30. ditto the ac15, maybe sounds a bit bigger. beatles, shadows, and even queen will sound good on this. it's one of the best models in the amp, if you ask me. i could play most stuff aside from heavier stuff on this model alone.

UK 70s: based on a vintage marshall (plexi, I'm guessing, but not certain since the plexi was actually from the 1960s so it could be based on a later marshall). this is pretty much the sound of classic rock. Free and stuff like that.

UK 80s: Based on a Marshall JCM800. Pretty much the sound of late 1970s- 1980s hard rock.

UK 90s: Based on a Marshall JCM900. This model's pretty good for heavier stuff, like 1980s thrash and even heavier metal.

Cali Metal: Based on a Mesa Dual Rectifier. This is the one for the really heavy stuff. Nu-metal was often recorded on Rectos, and heavier types of metal too like metalcore. I find it a bit tinny-sounding, though, I think the UK90s model sounds a bit better. But again it's worth a try.

US High gain: based on a soldano SLO. Good for smoother high gain lead tones. A lot of players in the late 1980s used soldanos, it's a bit less sharp-sounding than the recto or UK 90s model.

Line: I think it's a pretty neutral sound (maybe doesn't even include modelling, not certain) for using pedals, or even electroacoustic guitars and things like that.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
wow man, thanx for the superb info. all this stuff sounds like old rock, blues, and heavy old rock. I just like messing around with it for now. I got a sort of raconteur sound with ur advice, but on ac30, lots of gain, lots of tone, and some trim, with the guitar knobs all the way up. I really get you though, and that's good.
no problem, glad i could help a little.

and yeah use your ears too, as you've been doing, because the "right" setting doesn't trump personal preference, plus as i said a modeller is only giving a rough approximation of the "real thing" so might not necessarily be all that accurate...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
hmm, well I guess you can be my posting buddy, I'll hit u up sometime.
On this song, nirvana, the man who sold the world, theres this part
E|-----------------|-----------------|-----------------|-1---1-1^(1)-1-1---|
H|-----------------|-----------------|-----------------|-2---2-2^(2)-2-2-0-|
G|-----------------|-----------2-3-5-|-----------------|-1---1-1^(1)-1-1-0-|
D|-----------0-2-3-|-----2-3-5-------|-----------0-2-3-|-3---3-3^(3)-3-3---|
A|-----0-1-3-------|-3-5-------------|-----0-1-3-------|-4---4-4^(4)-4-4---|
E|-1-3-------------|-----------------|-1-3-------------|-------------------|

Theres 5 frets held down, how do you hold down the 5th fret?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
man, that didn't help one bit, but I didn't read it much. hey what about this:
Intro:
| | | | | F | | | |
E|----|----|----|----|-1---X-1^1-1-1-1-|-1---X-1^1-1-1-1-|-1 --|
H|----|----|----|----|-1---X-1^1-1-1-1-|-1---X-1^1-1-1-1-|-3(let --|
G|----|----|----|----|-2---X-2^2-2-2-2-|-1---X-1^1-1-1-1-|-2ring)--|
D|----|----|----|----|-3---X-3^3-3-3-3-|-1---X-1^1-1-1-1-|-0 --|
A|----|----|----|----|-3---X-3^3-3-3-3-|-1---X-1^1-1-1-1-|----|----|
E|----|----|----|----|-1---X-1^1-1-1-1-|-1---X-1^1-1-1-1-|----|----|
| | | | | A A V V A V | A A V V A V | A | |

I cant seem to hold that down, can you? can you tell me how you're doing it? If I have this right, you have to hold down the e and B with the index finger on fret 1, hold down the G with the middle finger on the 2nd fret, hold down the A and D with the ring finger on the 3rd fret, and hold down the E with the pinky on the 4th fret, I'm having trouble holding down the parts where I have to hold down two strings, can you help me out?
You need to learn the basics. Read up on barre chords, seriously do it. You know how to play one barre chord you pretty know how to play the rest (take note knowing doesn't equal playing them well). And I'm surprised you're asking about the F chords rather than the barre whole first fret one o.0

And seeing as how you're starting out on an electric guitar, take it easy on the distortion. Play on a clean setting so you get your technique right first.
Yeah as I said in the PM, it's going to be difficult at the start. It'll seem impossible at the start, but keep working at it and you'll get it.

For this one:

E|-1---1-1^(1)-1-1---|
B|-2---2-2^(2)-2-2-0-|
G|-1---1-1^(1)-1-1-0-|
D|-3---3-3^(3)-3-3---|
A|-4---4-4^(4)-4-4---|
E|-------------------|

I would barre my first/index finger at the first fret across the 1st, 2nd and 3rd strings (the high E, B and G strings respectively). I would use my second finger to fret at the 2nd fret on the 2nd (B) string. And then I would use my third and fourth fingers to fret at the 3rd and 4th frets on the 4th (D) and 5th (A) strings respectively.

For this one:

E|-1---X-1^1-1-1-1-|
B|-1---X-1^1-1-1-1-|
G|-2---X-2^2-2-2-2-|
D|-3---X-3^3-3-3-3-|
A|-3---X-3^3-3-3-3-|
E|-1---X-1^1-1-1-1-|

I would barre at the first fret across all the strings with my first/index finger. I'd use my third finger at the 3rd fret at the 5th/A string, my fourth finger at the 3rd fret at the 4th/D string, and my second finger at the 2nd fret at the 3rd/G string.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Ok ok, I'll practice some more. The barre chords don't seem that hard. Its just like a harmonic isn't it? Well anyway, I have a lot of practicing to do before I talk again. Its just so hard you know. I can bearly play a Dm. Switching through chords is mega difficult. Progress is coming along slow.

Sorry I put up an H string. I just copy pasted those tabs. Those notes with the x's aren't played at the same time as the others though. I still don't get how to hold that down.
no it's not a harmonic, you have to actually press the string down against the fret with the side of your finger

and yeah switching chords is really hard at the start. even for a fair while after the start, for me
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Switching chords will get easier. Keep it up, you'll be surprised in a few months when you look back to this day and realize how far you've gotten.
oh ok, now I get the barre chords, hey, do I have to play the bottom two strings and the top string with one finger?
If they're at the same fret, probably, yeah.

if it's too hard you can try easier fingerings or partial barres to get your strength and stamina up for full barres (across all strings) with the one finger).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
http://justinguitar.com/en/CH-000-Chords.php

It starts with the easy/open ones but if you meant barre chords it gets to them a bit of the way down, too.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Sep 13, 2014,
haha no worries

i only discovered justinguitar recently myself because the guys in here always link to it. it's great
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^ I think you're probably using a bit too much gain/distortion there, which is muddying things up (or your camera/microphone might just be clipping). also practise sometimes without distortion so you can hear your mistakes a bit better (though you also need to practise with distortion so you get used to controlling the noise).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?