So I have just joined a band as a bassist though I am primarily a guitar player and have been for the past three years, I have only just started learning the bass and can get my way through the band's set list pretty easily (perhaps not as well as a dedicated bassist could but hey ho.)

The one thing I am find is that going back to the guitar after playing bass for a few hours feels really weird and I all of a sudden can't play properly for about half an hour until I get the feel for it back.

So my question is, does there come a point where you can seamlessly switch between guitar and bass without thinking about it or will I always need time to adjust?
Hope that makes sense...
Quote by Joss_Frusciante
They have my vote!

Quote by final-andy
And my axe!
not sure. at the start i thought it didn't affect me. now i'm not so sure.

for me the best way to avoid this is to make sure i play both close in time to each other. so don't play bass for like 6 weeks without playing guitar. if i play a while on bass, i make sure i play a bit of guitar too before the day ends. or try to, anyway.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I've been playing both for 10 years and the switch between them is seamless now. It wasn't always, though. I find the more you do it the less time it takes to get back into either instrument.
Quote by Andron17
Go away, I have an erection.

Bassist for Half My Kingdom.
I've switched back and forth for the past 8 years. The biggest issue I have now is if its too long between playing guitar, my calluses seem to ache after playing guitar for a period of time.

It gets much easier at some point, There comes a point when you can finally 'think' in each instrument. I just go from bass brain to guitar brain.
Thanks for the replies guys, I suspected that in time I would start to separate the instruments in my head after time, I think I will also make sure I am playing guitar for at least an hour on the days I am playing bass
Quote by Joss_Frusciante
They have my vote!

Quote by final-andy
And my axe!
When I first started playing bass, I had the same problem. I would play the bass for about an hour, and then when I picked up the guitar, the strings felt WAY too close together and really small. I would have to put it down and wait about a half an hour before I could play correctly.

Now, almost a year later, I don't really have that problem. Granted, the strings on the guitar still feel too close together after an hour of playing bass, but I don't have to wait to play guitar after putting down the bass.
Gear:

ESP EC-50
ESP FB-204

MXR '78 Custom Badass Distortion
Dunlop Crybaby
MXR EVH Phase 90
MXR Analog Chorus

"Music is the strongest form of magic." - Marilyn Manson
Quote by SexyBeast810
When I first started playing bass, I had the same problem. I would play the bass for about an hour, and then when I picked up the guitar, the strings felt WAY too close together and really small. I would have to put it down and wait about a half an hour before I could play correctly.

Now, almost a year later, I don't really have that problem. Granted, the strings on the guitar still feel too close together after an hour of playing bass, but I don't have to wait to play guitar after putting down the bass.

I know right! Everything feels so micro! Good to know it gets easier though, I almost considered abandoning the bass if it was going to give me permanent guitar trouble...
Quote by Joss_Frusciante
They have my vote!

Quote by final-andy
And my axe!
Funnily enough i think i had less bother switching right at the very start. I suspect I just hadn't had enough practice at bass to really have gained the muscle memory necessary for it, though.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
You just need to get used to it. I play bass and guitar in my band, usually switching halfway through our set on stage, where I trade with my other guitar/bass player. We both trade back and forth all the time during practice/jamming, too. Just gotta get used to it, then you'll switch without even thinking about it.