Hi, fellow musicians.

I'm in need of a trembucker change since the stock ones are way too muddy. I'm using a Chinese made ESP LTD MH103QM with the following specifics:

Basswood body with quilted maple top

bolt-on maple neck

maple fretboard, 24 frets

ESP LH-150 humbucker

5-way toggle switch

Floyd Rose licensed tremolo

I'm considering getting a Seymour Duncan SH-6, Seymour Duncan SH-15 or a Seymour Duncan Black Winter. I play death metal in the follwing tuning: BEADF#B and mostly rhythm.

So what do you guys think, is it worth buying any of these and putting it in my guitar or should I get some other trembucker?

Thanks in advance.
What amp?
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
I'm considering getting a Peavey Valveking but I've been playing through various amps including a Orange Dark Terror with the same problem, the other guitarist in my band (owner of the Dark Terror) is using a Seymour Duncan SH-6 (Distortion) in the same tuning with way better results. Thus I do not believe amps are the problem here.
Don't get a ValveKing. They're not even remotely designed for death metal.

What specific kind of tone are you going for? List bands.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
go for either the SH6, the Black winter or the Nazgul (as its now available in 6 string)

as for amp... not the valve king.

Peavey 6505/5150 or EVH 5150 iii

Tons of gain, tight and great for drop tunings
My Rig:
Maverick F-1, Ibanez RG1527, Schecter Omen 8
Marshall JVM 410H,
Hand built 4x12 w/ V30s
Current board:
PXL LIVE
TU2
WHAMMY IV
MXR M132
MXR M101
TIMMY
NS2
MXR M108
XOTIC EP
TC DREAMSCAPE
DL8
At The Gates
Hypocrisy
Dissection
Entombed
In Flames (early)
In Mourning

There's quite som variation in these bands sounds, I know, but basically melodic death metal but still with some chugging-potential
the EVH has much better cleans than the peaveys but is a tiny bit less brutal, not enough to worry about though
My Rig:
Maverick F-1, Ibanez RG1527, Schecter Omen 8
Marshall JVM 410H,
Hand built 4x12 w/ V30s
Current board:
PXL LIVE
TU2
WHAMMY IV
MXR M132
MXR M101
TIMMY
NS2
MXR M108
XOTIC EP
TC DREAMSCAPE
DL8
This is the pickup I had in mind, sorry the previous post got screwed up:

http://www.seymourduncan.com/produc...patb2_parallel/

My suggestion would be to replicate the other player's guitar as much as possible. Is the body type/density/wood the same?

I am not say go with same shape but maybe same pickup might be your way out or adding an eq pedal and/or compressor and re-shaping your tone with it before it hits the amp.

You can possibly talk to a music shop to let you get some gear on loaner to try or even bring your amp in and see if you can get some pedals in the store or have the salespeople help you out with fx.

In the good old days of GUitar Center they let me try out 3 different pickups until I settled on the Paralel Axis Trembucker. Reasoning was that it is same as SH-6 but does not clamp on trem work.
Last edited by diabolical at Aug 21, 2014,
So kind of like old school death metal? The TB-6 should be perfect.

If you can find one cheap, I would check out a Gibson 500T as well. But don't overpay, if you can find a TB-6 cheaper get that.

Take a look at the DiMarzio Super 2 and the X2N, and the Seymour Duncan Alternative 8 (TB-15) as well.

And yeah, definitely big +1 on the Peavey 6505 or 5150 (whichever you can find cheaper. They're the exact same amp).

If you're looking for a head, also look at the Marshall SL-X. They can go for very good prices (I've seen them go for $450). But you need a cab as well if you don't have one already. ****ing nasty amps though.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Aug 21, 2014,