Another thread prompted this, and it is something I've been thinking about for years.

I have a highly modded Epi VJ Series 1 combo, that I play mostly at low (acoustic guitar) volumes and with clean, acoustic-like tones. It sounds a bit nasal and doughy compared with my H&K Stateman at the same volume. I've done some tube swapping and the like in collaboration with my amp tech mate, and he thinks that the next step would very likely be a new speaker.

What say? I'm thinking bright with late breakup and good at very low volumes. There are some Weber Alnicos, the 8A100T, 8A150 and Alnico Blue Pup that seem to fit the bill. Any other suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks.
Speakers can get expensive. The only way to really hear how a speaker responds in your situation is to try it out, but they are non returnable so that is where trying speakers gets expensive. If you can go to a music store and try some different speakers/cab then I highly recommend you do so
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Speakers can get expensive. The only way to really hear how a speaker responds in your situation is to try it out, but they are non returnable so that is where trying speakers gets expensive. If you can go to a music store and try some different speakers/cab then I highly recommend you do so

Yeah, I suppose it is a like pickup swapping. Good idea about trying different cabs, and it wouldn't be a problem getting them on loan, except my mate has just moved shop and has very little stock. The problem is exacerbated by the fact that almost no-one seems to be stocking guitar speakers here in Oz.
yeah, as rob said.

also the VJ is pretty nasal-sounding anyway (though I haven't modded mine) so don't expect a speaker swap to necessarily fix things. at the same time, though, if you've tried everything else, yeah a speaker swap is the obvious next step. as long as you know it might be money down the drain (of course it might do exactly what you want)

in addition to bright i'm guessing you want scooped. i'm also not sure you want alnico, i have very little experience with alnico but i wonder if it might exacerbate your problems. plus it's far more expensive than ceramic if it doesn't do what you want.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
i dunno if it's any trickier, it's just hard to get to try many different speakers. I suppose that goes for pickups too.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I have no idea about your mods, and there's no way to make suggestions into that unknown -- I have an EVJr that has had the Mercury Magnetics mod done (expensive), and it's about as far from nasal as you can get. I've worked with two speaker cabinets that have done well with it; one was an open back 4x10 (Carvin speakers) that was nearly perfect for the amp. Another was a Mesa Theile cabinet with an Eminence Delta ProA.
Quote by dspellman
I have no idea about your mods, and there's no way to make suggestions into that unknown -- I have an EVJr that has had the Mercury Magnetics mod done (expensive), and it's about as far from nasal as you can get. I've worked with two speaker cabinets that have done well with it; one was an open back 4x10 (Carvin speakers) that was nearly perfect for the amp. Another was a Mesa Theile cabinet with an Eminence Delta ProA.

The mods were a long time ago, and initially involved a heater circuit rectifier, bigger caps and similar things I've forgotten that were fairly standard when Epi VJs first came out. I also added a 12dB L-pad, which is a tone killer.

More relevantly, I added two bright switches, each with off/bypass and two caps. The first of these was the common one on the R6 1M resistor, the other on IIRC on the R14 220K resistor. The second one is too much, and makes the amp sound like it is on steroids. It isn't very nasal, but it doesn't compare favourably with my H&K Statesman.

EDIT Re cabs. I wrote to a local amp builder about Weber speakers, for whom he is an agent, and he suggested a separate cab with a bigger speaker would be the best bet. I can see the sense of this, but I'm trying to keep it as a little living room amp. for noodling while watching TV
Last edited by Tony Done at Aug 22, 2014,
yeah a bigger speaker will likely make it sound bigger, but as you said, if you want to keep it small that's not going to work. and also means throwing even more money at it. i like the budget single-ended amps but you need to watch they don't turn into money sinks (and i'm guilty of this myself)...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
If it's anything like the last VJ I owned, you'll listen to it whine and screech for 14 years and then it will take half your money as it leaves.
Charvel / Godin / Peavey / Marshall / AMT