Hey there,

I find my delay to be quite missused. I currently own an Aqua-Puss that I thought I would use for slapback settings, but I often leave it at home. It seems I just can't find a sweet spot or a dedicated song for it.

Therefore, I was wondering what's your favorite delay setting and for what song do you use it? I would also appreciate any clips/videos.

Thanks!
I like ~500ms, 1/3 for repeats and almost all the way up for delay. Thats a sweetspot for me. I only screw around on delay though, I'm no connoisseur. I could use some tips myself.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Yeah It depends what I'm going for. I don't really use delay for solo or distortion stuff.
Mainly because I can't figure out a good sound myself. I got a dd-3
Quote by LivinJoke84
I cant be naked. I have a huge fear of leaving a stain wherever i sit. Especially if its really warm
Off.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I use delay mainly as something to be noticed in leads rather than to add subtleness like most do.
I usually dial it in through tap tempo but I use a dotted 1/8th delay, it gives you this awesome rolling sound.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBsBKMtnsIA

Skip to 4:00 in this one.
http://youtu.be/ak6M4blISuA?t=4m

However if the part of the song doesn't need the dotted 1/8th, i'll usually have it on quietly using an eighth or quarter note delay.
Guitars
Sterling by MusicMan JP100D
Ibanez STM1
Epiphone 1967 Flying V (Ltd Edition)
Schecter Omen-8 (2012)
Amps
Randall Diavlo/RD100
Harley Benton 2x12 (V30s)
Marshall JCM2000/DSL401
Links
Soundcloud
Facebook
YouTube 1
YouTube 2
I use like three delay pedals. I use my cmat mods deeelay for most my delay needs the I have a vox time machine that uses vintage and modern modes and I have a tap tempo for each mode so even though I only have those two pedals I can get infinite delay sounds out of those two pedals since the tme machine has vintage atnd modern modes fs able and tap tempo along with my main delay which is the cmatmods deeelay. Ive never needed more than those pedals though ive thought about replacing the vox time machine with a memory lane jr and a carbon copy. but the voxx doess everything the deeelay doesn't so I hve kept this setup for 2 years
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 combo
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, signa drive, butah, and deeelay
walrus Audio Descent
Quote by Cathbard
Off.

ive always respected you but I call bullshit. I know you're playing punk mostly now but I can't believe you invested in a boss processor and don't even use some delay in one song.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 combo
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, signa drive, butah, and deeelay
walrus Audio Descent
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by bluestratplayer
ive always respected you but I call bullshit. I know you're playing punk mostly now but I can't believe you invested in a boss processor and don't even use some delay in one song.

He uses it a lot when playing his band's cover of John Cage's "4'33".

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Actually, with my punk band I am not using the GT-100, all I use is a Timmy and a wah - and I hardly touch the wah. It's a much simplified version of my full rig, I'm only using one channel on the RM100 too; the SLO one.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Digital delay on my Line 6 M9: 282 milliseconds, mix almost half, bass 1/4 full, treble a little boosted, feedback at 0.
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
I use the TC Flashback delay and I experiment a lot, but I most commonly have the delay time at around "10:30" with feedback and FX level at 12:00 (sorry I don't know the actual numbers in miliseconds), and any of the settings between digital/analog/tape/mod depending on the song and whether I want a darker or glassier sound. It's very versatile for me, as it's nice, big and spacey, but still manageable and controllable.

From more unusual stuff, my most beloved Toneprint is Steven Wilson's, and this thing sounds like literally nothing I know. It sounds really blurry and can be really discomforting or very pretty and warm depending on context. Especially amazing with arpeggiated chords. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0595HFjgKs
Last edited by TheLiberation at Aug 22, 2014,
Problems I have with delay is that the rest of the band need to play perfect if using it for a true delay sounding fx (like the buckethead example ^^)

Even with tap delay options, it still doesn't account for how accurate the drummer is 16 bars further down.

That being said, always fun to have delay, but since I work a lot with amp sims, it's easier to get more reverb options for cheap.

I found that one thing could be added to guitar delay pedals more often, and that's a low pass/high pass option.

I know some higher end pedals have them, but this filtering influences so much. I guess it's partially what "room" is for or "colour', but I think just having a true hi/lo pass controle on the actual tail is so beneficial.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Problems I have with delay is that the rest of the band need to play perfect if using it for a true delay sounding fx

Yea, mine don't even have a tap. I find it kind of difficult to fit it when I play with a full band. Another reason why I don't use it much I guess...
I'm going to me speaking POD for a second here. I have 2 delays set in my HD500 chain. Both are tap tempo digital delays. On is set to 1/4 notes with medium feedback and the other is 1/16 notes with tons of feedback, called "slow delay" and "fast delay", respectively. They come from settings for the intro to "Vicarious" by Tool for the slow delay and the intro to "The Dark Horse" by Scale the Summit for the fast delay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUXBCdt5IPg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuDd_3WT9Ro
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9