I'm trying to set up my LTD mh-1001 to be as versatile as possible allowing me to play metal in all different tunings.

In short I want to be able to cover as many death metal/metal bands as i can without having to capo or transpose.

I was thinking if of setting it up in C standard with 0.12s, would that allow me to go down to B or B flat as well as up to E standard without having to change too much?

If not is there any way to get around this aside from buying more guitars?
Last edited by 12ie at Aug 21, 2014,
I would definitely not recommend trying to cover that much ground on one guitar. 12s in E standard would have crazy amounts of tension (inb4 herp derp SRV).
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Sure it's possible; my Les Paul does all that, but B tuning would be impossible without fret buzz. Mine is usually E Standard and I tune it down to D or C.

There's no real string for metal, Iommi plays with custom 0.08s, yet Zakk Wylde uses 0.11s. It's all preference. A higher guage will mean less buzzing with drop tunings and when you change tunings, so 12s would be good.

I use 0.11s for E Standard, don't see why 0.12s would be a problem in E Standard. I might try 0.12s actually.

C standard to E standard could be done, but you would have to try not to leave the guitar in E standard unless you adjusted the truss rod when you tune up to E standard. If the guitar is setup for C Standard, then tuning up to E Standard is going to put some serious pull on the neck. As a rule, I tune down rather than tune up. At the very least, tuning your strings up is going to shorten their lifespan significantly.

Drop B sure, but B standard and B flat? I seriously doubt you could do that, without the string tension in E standard giving you too much forward bow. For B tuning and stuff like that, try the Dunlop Heavy Core 12s.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dunlop-DHCN1254-Heaviest-Electric-Strings/dp/B003E19G48/ref=pd_sim_MI_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=1Z5XCHGAM92JAKFG29G6
Quote by chrismendiola
Is it even possible to set up a guitar for multiple tunings? That seems to be your goal here.

No issue at all with my Variax JTV-89F. Standard to Drop Bb and Baritone are built in at the factory. You can computer edit in anything down to bass tunings (an octave down). Pitch replacement technology. Better yet, you can do this with a Floyd.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1vg5D4D0JE
Quote by dspellman
No issue at all with my Variax JTV-89F. Standard to Drop Bb and Baritone are built in at the factory. You can computer edit in anything down to bass tunings (an octave down). Pitch replacement technology. Better yet, you can do this with a Floyd.

Artificial pitch alteration is not the same as actually retuning. Plus, the guy wants to set up a guitar he already has, not buy another one.

OP: If what you want is to be able to go from E Standard as low as Drop-B, with the same strings, without any playability issues.. Sorry. That's physically impossible (unless you don't consider ridiculously high tension in standard tuning to be a "playability issue". And if you're trying to play metal, that WILL be an issue). With certain gauge strings, it might be possible to make the guitar playable with that large of a tuning range (might be), but there will definitely be a particular tuning that feels good, and the others won't feel right. And I don't think anyone even asked if your guitar has a tremelo. If it does, just give up on this whole multiple-tuning idea right now. It's not gonna happen. Just go D-Standard or Drop C with some decently heavy strings.
Last edited by the_bi99man at Aug 21, 2014,
Dont. Just dont.
Like not at all.

Dont consider it.

Your guitar neck will snap.

And die.

But actually dont do it.

EDIT: I have 5 guitars for a reason. LTD is drop B, PRS is drop D#, telecaster is drop C, and the strats are in standard/drop D.
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
Last edited by Carrot at Aug 21, 2014,
Thanks for your input guys, looks like i might be leaving it in C for the time being then.

But what bands use C standard, doesn't look to be that common and the only bands that come to mind are In flames, Arch Enemy and some Cradle of Filth
Quote by the_bi99man
Artificial pitch alteration is not the same as actually retuning. Plus, the guy wants to set up a guitar he already has, not buy another one.

OP: And I don't think anyone even asked if your guitar has a tremelo. If it does, just give up on this whole multiple-tuning idea right now. It's not gonna happen. Just go D-Standard or Drop C with some decently heavy strings.

"Artificial pitch alteration" is definitely not the same as actually retuning. That's the whole point. It allows you to retune without changing string tension. And it's very good indeed.

The guy doesn't want to buy another guitar and then you tell him "give up on this whole multiple-tuning idea right now." In other words, "buy another guitar." Especially if his guitar has a tremolo. If there's another guitar to be bought, how about buying just ONE that will handle everything he wants to do.You've given him NO option.

My JTV-89F has a Floyd on it, and I can play downtuned (even uptuned) pieces on it all day long *and* use the Floyd. And it sounds good doing it.

Here's the thing: I played keyboards back when the options were a B3 and a Fender Rhodes 88 (which was what I had). I now have a Korg Kronos X and a PA3X on the way. Not only are these keyboards able to duplicate nearly anything, they're also able to transpose what you play into the key that you need in order to accommodate a singer who can't hit the notes of the original, etc. These are electronics that have been around for a lot of years. It's pretty rare that you see a real grand piano on stage with a band. But the technology allows you to not only pick out the KIND of grand piano you want to play (German, Japanese, etc.), but how high the lid on the grand piano is lifted and what kind of mike (or combination thereof) is being used to record it. These days we have that technology doing an end run around the sanctimonius cork-snorting traditionalists and making its way into guitars (not that it's new, it's been in them for at least the last 10 years in the Variax line), and if you're squeamish with "artificial" whatever, you need to get used to it. It's really good, it's extremely useful.

Recording producers are loathe to pay for the cartage to have you bring your favorite dozen guitars and your best half dozen amps to a recording session to add a guitar part or two. But you can go crosstown with a Variax on your back and a Pod and a TwoNotes Torpedo C.A.B. tucked into a small case, and he'll be happy to see you. Fact is, the keyboards themselves are getting close to good enough to keep a guitar player from getting gas money, and I've seen producers load up software and noodle a guitar bit out on a keyboard rather than pay a guitar player to come in, only to find they can't do what you want. A Variax these days is coming close to being a must. And it's certainly good enough for what the OP wants to accomplish.

Good chance that the last nylon string guitar you heard on a recording came from a keyboard like one of these. String scrapes, fret buzz, taps on the top of the guitar, the whole shot. (headphones)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wnnFAJRYI4
Quote by Carrot
Dont. Just dont.
Like not at all.

Dont consider it.

Your guitar neck will snap.

And die.

But actually dont do it.

EDIT: I have 5 guitars for a reason. LTD is drop B, PRS is drop D#, telecaster is drop C, and the strats are in standard/drop D.

This man gets it.

He probably also plays some sick metal and/or hardcore. Dat riffy goodness!
One gauge with different tuning? Do it if you like noodle on your guitar.
Or a Line 6 Variax.
Do you feel like I do!?
Quote by 12ie
Thanks for your input guys, looks like i might be leaving it in C for the time being then.

But what bands use C standard, doesn't look to be that common and the only bands that come to mind are In flames, Arch Enemy and some Cradle of Filth

Not your usual metal, but Katatonia use C standard on most songs from Viva Emptiness onwards, some heavier ones are in drop A#.

I generally agree that tuning from C to E is a huge difference and will definitely wear the strings quickly and might even be an issue for the neck. I'm pretty sure you'd also have intonation issues, unless you set the bridge with every tuning change. But from C to D or something you should be fine if you don't retune 3 times a day or so, it's not such a massive change.
Although it may be possible to cover all those tunings with one guitar and one set of strings, the actual wear on the strings may be to great. Continually tuning up and down will eventually cause any set of strings to fail faster than one that is kept at a constant tension.