Hey guys,

I'm fairly new around here. Been playing for quite some time, self taught.

I'd love to hear your opinion on my improvisation. Been trying out some fingerstyle á la Knopfler lately and I recorded this about 6 months ago with a looper. Let me know what you think, I expect both constructive criticism and brutal honesty. All is welcome.

https://soundcloud.com/kameljoint/african-dreamscape

Best regards
Slow your vibrato down - the piece calls for gentle and subtle so perhaps treat your vibrato well here. There's a few fluffed notes here and there but it doesn't detract from the song much. Work on your bends a bit - you have over and under happening that does distract a muso but not a pleb.
This piece has a very Knopfler feel to it which is good and difficult to get right so well done. 9+ minutes is a bit long though. Try to curb it down to 2 or 3 minutes as it's a long time to loop something as it is, so going to the 9 - 10 minute mark means you have something to say - but I didn't get it.

But, we've all gone to the opus side of things so nothing wrong with that. I'd suggest you cut it down and let it go somewhere - it just finished now and, like I said, I didn't get it. I understand its an improv but even improvs go somewhere.

As long as you enjoyed playing on it - thats about all that counts
Quote by Groovemeister69
Hey guys,

I'm fairly new around here. Been playing for quite some time, self taught.

I'd love to hear your opinion on my improvisation. Been trying out some fingerstyle á la Knopfler lately and I recorded this about 6 months ago with a looper. Let me know what you think, I expect both constructive criticism and brutal honesty. All is welcome.

https://soundcloud.com/kameljoint/african-dreamscape

Best regards

I'm a huge Mark Knopfler fan so I can really appreciate what you're going for here. I think you are doing a great job of channeling that tone and feel ( despite the gear used). As far as criticism goes, I would agree with the above post that some of the vibratos and bends were a tad pitchy, which sounds like fretting a bit too hard and over/under hitting bends. I think you have a good sense of space and phrasing. It would be nice to hear you build up the intensity a bit sometimes and maybe have a few busier sections to offset the spacious.

Other than that, I would encourage you to experiment a little using different registers ( lower and higher) a bit more, though with a looped guitar track you are understandably limited in terms of sonic space.
Thanks a million guys, really useful input! Im working on actually making this a proper instrumental piece with builds, breaks, peaks etc. as I definitely agree on it being a bit to monotonous. Very thankful for the input regarding my phrasing, bending and vibrato.
You know, it was made with a looper. I wouldn't expect an improvisation to build up if the rest of the song doesn't build with it, it's the thing that often keeps me away from one instrument focused instrumentals.