Hi. Beginner guitar player here just wondering how much my picking style is holding me back. The way I hold it is with my first two fingers and my thumb and it only feels natural to pick up strokes. I'm aware this is incorrect I'm just wondering if this is detrimental to me advancing. I've been told by friends that it's fine but I've also been told that I can't hope to play well with that type of picking. Let me know what you think. Thanks.
Here's an image and a gif to show you how I pick.
http://i.imgur.com/NkYYIQ6.jpg
http://www.gfycat.com/WatchfulDigitalCob#
Last edited by wookiewarrior at Aug 21, 2014,
Id say it was fine and as long as you practice like that then you will be able to play like that, i like to hold the pick between the pad of my thumb and the side of my first finger as this is what feels most natural to me. Just experiment holding it different ways and do what feels comfortable to you.
I would strongly recommend only holding the pick with your thumb and first finger - there is no need to use three fingers to hold a pick and it will make hybrid picking ( an advanced technique) more difficult further down the road if ever you get that far.

That being said, with enough practice you can make any grip work.
While you can make it work holding the pick in 'awkward' positions, generally I believe most people have success holding the pick between the thumb and the side of the index finger. How exactly is up to preference. There are professional guitarist that hold the pick similar to the way you do but for most people, it can lead to difficulty when trying advance.
Quote by reverb66
I would strongly recommend only holding the pick with your thumb and first finger - there is no need to use three fingers to hold a pick and it will make hybrid picking ( an advanced technique) more difficult further down the road if ever you get that far.

That being said, with enough practice you can make any grip work.

Really good point about the hybrid picking. I've been playing for decades, & just started hybrid picking several years ago, & I'm really glad I learned to hold the pick between my thumb & side of my index finger. I do use my middle finger additionally sometimes for super fast runs to stabilize the pick at an approx 45 degree angle to the strings, which is helpful to maintain even dynamics when picking at extreme speeds (alternating up/down strokes). EVH holds his pick between his thumb & middle finger which feels really weird to me.
Basically it's whatever is comfortable for you, but I'd learn to play more than just upstrokes if you want to be a good guitar player. I'd suggest taking lessons & learn some music theory for sure. I didn't take my first lesson til I'd been playing 30 yrs, & wish I'd started immediately.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
Oh yeah, missed the bit about upstrokes. You need to be equally comfortable with both as they are essential to your playing. Which one you use affects the sound when strumming and being able to do some form of alternate picking will be needed when learning to play faster as it more or less doubles your picking speed.