I am torn between these two guitars. Ive heard that with the Jackson it will need pickup replacement because the pickups arent the greatest. I havent heard anything really bad about the ML-1 so Im coming to the people to help me buy one of these guitars. which one is better for their price? Links to both guitars are here
Chapman ML-1
http://www.andertons.co.uk/solid-body-electric-guitars/pid31505/cid671/chapman-ml1-natural-ash-body-inc-gig-bag.asp

Jackson SDX
http://www.jacksonguitars.com/en-CA/series/artist-signature/models/adrian-smith-signature-sdx-maple-fingerboard-snow-white/
It depends on how important a Floyd Rose bridge is to you.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
it isnt very important to me. I just need a whammy bar thats all and both guitars have them, so you would recommend the chapman?
If having a locking Floyd Rose isn't very important to you, then why do you need a 'whammy bar'? That's kind of contradictory, dude. A Floyd Rose is a type of 'whammy bar'.

If you want a vibrato, you need to seriously consider the differences in the two bridges, to know which bridge will suit your needs better than the other. Are you willing to take more time in setting up a Floyd Rose, but at the reward of having potentially superior tuning stability? How much are you going to use the vibrato? If you're going to use it often, a Floyd Rose might be better. If not, a standard vibrato might be more practical. Those are the kinds of questions you need to ask yourself.

Regarding the pickups in the two guitars, none of that really makes very much difference if you haven't got a good amp. I can't imagine the ones in the Jackson being that bad anyway. I'm not saying that you can't have good pickups (not that I'd consider the pickups in the Chapman being that great either), but it's worth looking at the bigger picture.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Aug 21, 2014,
Floyd is fun! I think they are alot easier to keep up with than people generally say, but a Wilkinson bridge is a little easier. If it was between the two, I'd go for the Jackson because Iron Maiden is one of my favorites and its a pretty sick guitar. However the Floyd might be less stable due to the low price of the guitar. In the sub $1000 budget, I think used is always the best choice. Still, go to a guitar store and playing every friggin guitar in your budget (new and used) and pick which one calls to you. Don't buy online, its a gamble and if you lose you have to ship the guitar back. I purchased a ESP horizon online and while it was a GREAT axe, it just didn't feel right in my hands. For almost $1700, it had to be perfect so I went to Guitar Center over two days and played nearly everything they had until I found one I really liked and went for it. I suggest you do the same.
Last edited by JGM258 at Aug 21, 2014,
Personally, I'd choose the Jackson since I've been using Jackson guitars almost exclusively for the past few years and rarely find faults with them. I'm a creature of comfort and habit :P

If you have the opportunity to play both, choose the one that's most comfortable to you. Hardware can be easily changed. Comfort of the guitar however is a different story.
Quote by NewDayHappy
Yuck, I hate HSS guitars.

Just another Sheep in the design of the Almighty Machine.

-GEAR-
Gibson 60s Les Paul Tribute (Sunburst)
1999 Ibanez RG470 (TitaniumIce-MIJ)
Jackson RR3 (Trans-Red)
Peavey 6505+
Podx3
Quote by NewDayHappy
Yuck, I hate HSS guitars.

Good thing this thread isn't about you.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Get the chapman, it's a swamp ash body, miles better than cheapo basswood.
Then when you've saved up a bit more, get it a nice set of dimarzios, and you've pretty much got yourself a high end guitar.
Forget floyd rose, it's for 10 year old kids who can't play real music so resort to making dive bomb noises.
Quote by mkouta95
Then when you've saved up a bit more, get it a nice set of dimarzios, and you've pretty much got yourself a high end guitar.
Forget floyd rose, it's for 10 year old kids who can't play real music so resort to making dive bomb noises.

Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by mkouta95

That's not fair, I have the maturity of at least an 11 year old.

Ok, to be fair, maybe a pretty mediocre 11 year old.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by mkouta95

The bit in bold i do agree with, (well swap the pickups out for something suited to TS)

But the floyd rose bit i laughed my ass off.
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
A lot of cheap guitars use basswood, but so do a lot of more expensive guitars, it's not an inherently bad wood.

What kind of stuff do you want to do with the whammy?
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
When I tried out chapman guitars (I tried the ML1 and the CAP-10), to me they felt sort of 'dead'. When I was playing them, there was no life to them and nothing made me want to keep playing them.