Page 1 of 2
I have an extremely old Memphis electric guitar (at least 30 years old.) It doesn't stay in tune, and when I move it just a bit, it goes right out of tune. It's incredibly annoying. It plays awfully (sounds dry and muffled.) The pickups are incredibly bad quality. In fact, they just stopped working. They kind of work, but create an ear-piercing sound. I do not want to play this! However, my parents won't let me buy a new one (I'd be paying.) They are afraid I will lose interest and never play it again. So they want me to continue playing and for Christmas I can get a new one. I really can't wait that long. I play guitar for hours a day, and I am super bored without it. We also have an acoustic guitar of great quality, but I don't like acoustic guitars at all. I'm really bored now that I can't play. I could play without an amp, but that ruins the purpose of an electric guitar. How can I convince my parents to let me get a new one?
in b4 "get a mac instead... lolololololol"

I think you should buy that new guitar and deal with the consequence later, can your parents force you to take it back?

how old are you btw?
So...if you're 18 or over, move out.

Edit:
Fuck what I said before. Why can't you just wait until Christmas, you impatient jackass?!
Yes, if he can't afford a guitar he can definitely afford to move out.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Quote by crazysam23_Atax
So...if you're 18 or over, move out.

Edit:
Fuck what I said before. Why can't you just wait until Christmas, you impatient jackass?!

Haha, very funny.

I can't wait because it's what I did for fun every day. I have nothing to do without it. I miss it so much that I tried making a guitar out of rubber bands.
Quote by Trowzaa

I can afford one but I'm not allowed to buy one.
So you can afford to buy a guitar with your money and your parents are saying no? lol
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Quote by Trowzaa
So you can afford to buy a guitar with your money and your parents are saying no? lol

Correct. They think I'm going to stop playing because I will get bored of it.
Quote by Trowzaa

I assume his parents are supporting him financially. Usually, "move out" also implies getting a job that can pay the bills, getting an apartment, etc. You want complete freedom; pay your own way.

Quote by CostlyTrick
Haha, very funny.

I can't wait because it's what I did for fun every day. I have nothing to do without it. I miss it so much that I tried making a guitar out of rubber bands.

DEAL WITH IT! You can't wait a few months? Holy shit, man. What are you ever going to do, when you are paying for your own stuff? Are you going to keep buying stuff on credit, because you can't wait and then end up in massive debt?

l2waitkid

Quote by CostlyTrick

So, show them that you are dedicated enough to learning guitar by playing a guitar you don't like for a few months and learn as much as you can.
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Aug 21, 2014,
Quote by CostlyTrick
I can afford one but I'm not allowed to buy one.

your parents sound rather controlling and i don't buy the whole 'their house their rules' in this case which will probably get bought up. There are worse things to spend your money on.

Quote by crazysam23_Atax
I assume his parents are supporting him financially. Usually, "move out" also implies getting a job that can pay the bills, getting an apartment, etc. You want complete freedom; pay your own way

bottom line is you should be free to learn how to spend your own money..as if any kid should ever have to justify that by physically moving out..that is ludicrous
Last edited by frusciante_5 at Aug 21, 2014,
I feel bad for you TS, I got 8 guitars I don't even have enough time to play them all. Sucks man.
Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
Quote by CostlyTrick

They're wrong to stop you but also they're right that you will get bored of it. Buy a macbook pro instead and make them proud with sick garage tunes.
Quote by damian_91
I feel bad for you TS, I got 8 guitars I don't even have enough time to play them all. Sucks man.

I know those feels, man.

I have 9, if you include a bass in that count

Quote by Philip_pepper
Kill them.

It's the only way.

And it'll show them.

Maybe he should sex up his mum. You could give him some hints, right?
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Quote by frusciante_5
bottom line is you should be free to learn how to spend your own money..as if any kid should ever have to justify that by physically moving out..that is ludicrous

What in the OP leads you to believe TS is going to be spending his own money on this? To me, it sounds like he's begging mommy & daddy for a new guitar and they said, "Wait until Christmas". I'm sure his parents wouldn't mind him getting a job and earning the money himself (assuming TS is old enough to legally work).
Slapsy is right

Listen up TS.

Get the finest liquor out that you have in your household. Pour her a glass and lower the lights. Put some music on to get her in the mood, like "Foxrot Uniform Charlie Kilo" or "Stacey's Mom".

Whip it out.

The rest will happen by itself.

EDIT:Wait until your dad is out of the house. Or not. Keep him locked in a cage to watch if that's your thang man, I dunno man, I don't care. Everyone's got their thang. I ain't judging.
Last edited by Philip_pepper at Aug 21, 2014,
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
What in the OP leads you to believe TS is going to be spending his own money on this?

Quote by CostlyTrick
I have an extremely old Memphis electric guitar (at least 30 years old.) It doesn't stay in tune, and when I move it just a bit, it goes right out of tune. It's incredibly annoying. It plays awfully (sounds dry and muffled.) The pickups are incredibly bad quality. In fact, they just stopped working. They kind of work, but create an ear-piercing sound. I do not want to play this! However, my parents won't let me buy a new one (I'd be paying.) They are afraid I will lose interest and never play it again. So they want me to continue playing and for Christmas I can get a new one. I really can't wait that long. I play guitar for hours a day, and I am super bored without it. We also have an acoustic guitar of great quality, but I don't like acoustic guitars at all. I'm really bored now that I can't play. I could play without an amp, but that ruins the purpose of an electric guitar. How can I convince my parents to let me get a new one?

that part
I'm not even gonna give you a half assed sarcastic answer even though you're asking for it with this thread.

Play the acoustic. It'll make you a better player and strengthen your fingers more than an electric will anyway.
ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ raise your dongers ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
What exactly is stopping you? I mean I get that they said no, but why can't you just do it anyway? It's your money.
Quote by frusciante_5
that part

Ok, my bad.

Although, there's a few more things involved in it. Was the money a gift, that wasn't actually intended for buying a guitar? Do they want TS to not make an impulse purchase (which a lot of young teens do, since many of them haven't learned how to properly research what the "best value" is)? Do TS even have enough money for a guitar? Are his parents intending to give him a much better guitar than he can afford currently, but they want to wait until Christmas (since a lot of parents budget gift funds for Christmas)?

The thing is, TS sounds very young. There's lots of legitimate reasons parents might want a child to wait before spending their money on a relatively big purchase (like a guitar). It comes down to teaching their kid responsibility.
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Aug 21, 2014,
Why not look on Craigslist for a cheap electric to hold you over for a few months? I'm sure you could find one well under $100.

The quality won't be great, but at least you'll have a working electric to play.
Ask them what the problem is? Spending $500 on a new guitar is a better investment than spending $500 on an Xbox One like most kids are doing.
Some see the glass half full, others see the glass half empty. Me? I see that the glass is refillable.
Honestly a lot of people do pick up guitar and lose interest. You're a lot more likely to lose interest in a skill related hobby than something more passive like video games. I think the kid can wait and tough it out on the acoustic in the mean time.
If it's your money get one and stop being a bitch

If it's not your money, quit bitching.

Just stop being a little bitch.
ayy lmao
if anything the problem is not the guitar itself but the way it is setup

try setting it up properly and it will work better
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by CamelToeJoe
If guitar means that much to you, you'll get a job to pay for one or if you already have a job- save up.

He said he has enough money already saved up. His parents just don't want him to blow it on a hobby that he gives up
Quote by caeser1156
He said he has enough money already saved up. His parents just don't want him to blow it on a hobby that he gives up

I just noticed that
I guess he's stuck then.....we aren't buying him one lol.
Jimmy cracked corn and I did care.
Quote by CamelToeJoe
I just noticed that
I guess he's stuck then.....we aren't buying him one lol.

Well, we tried our best. Guess he's shit outta luck
Quote by daytripper75
What exactly is stopping you? I mean I get that they said no, but why can't you just do it anyway? It's your money.

If he's not old enough to drive, his parents could just refuse to bring him to Guitar Center.
it's your money just buy one. buy a squier or something budget priced, then decide if you wanna drop serious coin on a better quality one.
Fender | Peavey | Epiphone | Hohner | Ernie Ball | Planet Waves | Jim Dunlop | Marshall | Lee Oskar | Traynor | Suzuki | Jackson

Compulsive gear buyer
Show them you really mean it and aren't just a little whiner. Get a job and put $3k into your "guitar fund" bank account. They will surely appreciate your energy and determination to make this happen. As a side effect, you will no longer be bored because you will be busy washing cars, sweeping floors and mowing lawns. A win-win all around.

Hmmm, I'm kinda bored now. Should I go play the 55 Les Paul Jr. or the Ocean Blue HSS Corona Strat?? Hmmmm.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
im sorry your parents suck
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
Your parents are dicks.

It's your money, you have the right to spend it whenever you want to. If they're worried about you not getting enthusiastic enough towards playing guitar, tell them that it is your responsibility, not theirs. In fact saying that you're willing to take responsibility for your actions might impress them.

I was in your position once, and it was only by doing jobs and favors for my parents that they actually took me seriously.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Aug 21, 2014,
Quote by CostlyTrick
I do not want to play this! However, my parents won't let me buy a new one (I'd be paying.) They are afraid I will lose interest and never play it again.

In that condition it can be uninteresting and annoying to play as of now until Christmas. If you get it with your money it will make you wanna stay interested. If you're really interested now chances are you will also be really interested later. Plus guitar is worth the risk! I thought I would lose interest in drums but i got them, i keep coming back, and for guitar as well. tell your parents this, and let me know if any of it helped.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Your parents are dicks.

It's your money, you have the right to spend it whenever you want to. If they're worried about you not getting enthusiastic enough towards playing guitar, tell them that it is your responsibility, not theirs.

Seriously, saying that you're willing to take responsibility for your actions might impress them.

Oh well.

If my kid ran out and bought a guitar after being specifically told not to, that would amount to insubordination. Not a good plan. That new guitar would be the featured 200 yard target next weekend at the rifle range. Phone and car keys would also be forfeited. One whimper about any of this and his room would get cleaned out. Bare walls, a cot, and 3 changes of clothes would be his life until reparations were made. Insubordination is the fast track to misery in my house.

On the other hand, kid gets a job, works hard and puts money in the bank, does well in school, sports, music and cooperates with siblings and parents. I provide the car, gas, phone, sports team fees, music lessons, college education of his choice (within reason), great vacations, lots of family time, and free time to himself to spend as he pleases within house rules.

Choose wisely.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Last edited by Cajundaddy at Aug 21, 2014,
what we really need to do is abolish this money crap
i don't know why i feel so dry
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
But in the meantime, Eastwinn...

in the meantime we should abolish your backseat parenting
i don't know why i feel so dry
Quote by Eastwinn
in the meantime we should abolish your backseat parenting

Ah, ok.

Why are you so negative all the time, Eastwinn?
Quote by Eastwinn
what we really need to do is abolish this money crap

Then everybody would get to sleep on cots with bare walls and 3 changes of clothes. It would be great!

Spend 2 weeks in Cuba and see it for yourself.

Page 1 of 2