Page 1 of 2
So I've been looking to get a half stack for the first time and the type of sound I wanna get out of it is a pretty solid metalcore/deathcore sound. I've heard about the Mesa Boogie Rectifiers, engl powerballs, and peavy 5150's, but I just don't have the kind of money for that. If anyone can suggest some good head/cab combos in the $500-$1000 range than I'd be very thankful. I'd prefer the price to stay closer to $500 but all suggestions are welcome.
You're not going to get a halfstack for deathcore for $500. Full stop. A good cab used will run you almost $500 alone. And heads are usually more expensive.

$1000 is doable.

Look at used Orange PPC412, Mesa 412, Marshall 1960AV or 1960BV, Line 6 SV 412. Get whichever is closest to $350 you can (most likely the Line 6 Spider Valve 412. Make absolutely sure it's an SV though. It should say Vintage 30 on the bottom right corner).

For a head, look for a 5150, 6505, 5150 II, or 6505+. Get the cheapest one you find. $450 is probably the lowest you'll find.

Then you'll need a boost, an EQ, and a noise gate. Check out the Digitech Bad Monkey, they go very cheap. Around $30.

EQ, ideally you want to get an MXR 10 Band. But they can be pricey, around $80 used is good from what I've seen. If you cant swing that, get the Danelectro Fish & Chips. They are extremely cheap, $20-30. But be careful with them, the price shows in the durability of their housing. Don't go jumping on it or anything.

Noise gate, get a Boss NS-2. They go for $40-50.

Then you'll just need cables to hook everything up. I like the 18.6' cables that Live Wires have, they're cheap and pretty good quality. I think they might do them in 2 packs for cheaper too. Anyway you need 4 of them.

Your chain will look like Guitar -> Bad Monkey -> NS-2 Input
NS-2 Send -> Amp Input
Amp Send -> EQ -> NS-2 Return
NS-2 Output -> Amp Return

And lastly, turn the level slider on your EQ down, play with it about 1/4 or 3/8 up from minimum. That'll let you turn your amp's Post Gain up higher and make it sound way better at low volumes.

Other amps just to look at:
Marshall SL-X
Jet City JCA100H / JCA100HDM

But the setup will be the same. I'll post others if I think of them.

Marshall TSL100
Peavey JSX
Laney Ironheart
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Aug 21, 2014,
I propose adding a feature to this website: wherever you write "metalcore" a window pops up and tells you you should look into the 5150/5150 II/6505/6505+.

What you need, TS, is finding a used 5150 II or 6505+ (or the two inputs version if you fancy them, but for my life I wouldn't get one of those), get yourself a used cab with v30's or v30 copies, and pair it with a tube screamer type pedal.
Also possibly with a noise gate or noise reducer.

It'll cost you more than $500, but probably less than $1000 and you'll have a hell of a setup for metalcore.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Last edited by Spambot_2 at Aug 21, 2014,
Alright thanks, ya I'm hoping to ask my parents to get me an amp this Christmas if I keep my grades up until the end of this semester, And they definitely won't pay for all of that so I'm thinking I could ask them just to buy the head and I would save up until Christmas to buy the rest, or I'll just ask them to get some $500 dollar "beginner" half stack. Do you have any suggestions for a cheaper half stack with a decent sound for me?
why does it have to be a half stack?
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Quote by lukaszwida29
Alright thanks, ya I'm hoping to ask my parents to get me an amp this Christmas if I keep my grades up until the end of this semester, And they definitely won't pay for all of that so I'm thinking I could ask them just to buy the head and I would save up until Christmas to buy the rest, or I'll just ask them to get some $500 dollar "beginner" half stack. Do you have any suggestions for a cheaper half stack with a decent sound for me?

A Peavey 6505+ 112 combo with a tube and speaker swap and an OD in front.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Quote by romeozdistress
why does it have to be a half stack?

It doesn't have to be, my parents most likely won't get me a huge expensive amp and it will most likely be hard to convince my parents to let me buy one. So if you got a good suggestion that's not a half stack than please tell me.
Quote by lemurflames

+1

Do not get a beginner half stack. It's throwing money away, you'll hate it and want something else in less than a week.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by lemurflames

Is the 112 made by peavey?
Peavey 6505+ 112 is a 1x12 combo made in China (hence why the price is only half of what the 6505+ head costs, which is made in America).

If it's your parents buying, just ask for that. Even offer to go half and half if you want to.

Later down the line swap the speaker for a WGS Veteran 30 and get the pedals I mentioned before, and you'll be good to go. It may not have the visual appeal of a half stack, but the tone will be there.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
+1

Do not get a beginner half stack. It's throwing money away, you'll hate it and want something else in less than a week.

So would you say it's be better to just buy it piece by piece if I have to(get a head first, then a cab when I get the money for it, then everything else once I get the money for it) kuz I've got a roland cube 20xl and I'd be fine with having to play on that until I slowly buy all the gear
Quote by Offworld92
Peavey 6505+ 112 is a 1x12 combo made in China (hence why the price is only half of what the 6505+ head costs, which is made in America).

If it's your parents buying, just ask for that. Even offer to go half and half if you want to.

Later down the line swap the speaker for a WGS Veteran 30 and get the pedals I mentioned before, and you'll be good to go. It may not have the visual appeal of a half stack, but the tone will be there.

Is it hard to get speakers set up or should I order them and bring it in to my local music store or guitar center and have them do it
Quote by lukaszwida29
or I'll just ask them to get some $500 dollar "beginner" half stack.
This is what you absolutely don't wanna do.

That would be a disappointed and a waste of money.

Well not necessarily a waste of money, you can still get nice half stacks for that money indeed, but if you want a good metalcore sound you start from a 6505, and a half stack for $500 would likely get you a bad amp, or a bad cab, or a setup with not enough options to do what you want to do with it.

Easy example.
My main setup cost around $420 - a new harley benton G212 vintage, which is the best bang for the buck cab in the world, and a used blackheart BH5H, a small amp.

Does that do what I want?
Yeah, sure.

Would I be able to pull off a metalcore tone from that?
Not in this life.

So, if I was you I'd wait some more time and get the real thing instead of something "to fill the space" while waiting for the real thing.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
I regret filling the space to get exactly what I wanted.

Now I have a 5150 212 from Guitar Center that desperately needs repairs.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Quote by Spambot_2
This is what you absolutely don't wanna do.

That would be a disappointed and a waste of money.

Well not necessarily a waste of money, you can still get nice half stacks for that money indeed, but if you want a good metalcore sound you start from a 6505, and a half stack for $500 would likely get you a bad amp, or a bad cab, or a setup with not enough options to do what you want to do with it.

Easy example.
My main setup cost around $420 - a new harley benton G212 vintage, which is the best bang for the buck cab in the world, and a used blackheart BH5H, a small amp.

Does that do what I want?
Yeah, sure.

Would I be able to pull off a metalcore tone from that?
Not in this life.

So, if I was you I'd wait some more time and get the real thing instead of something "to fill the space" while waiting for the real thing.

Lol ya that does make a lot more sense, do you think I should just ask my parents for the head and then save up until I can buy the cab and everything else?
You could do that.

Just never run the head without a cab.

Head is roughly $500 used and $1000 new.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Quote by lemurflames
You could do that.

Just never run the head without a cab.

Head is roughly $500 used and $1000 new.

Any ideas on where to look for it used, or should I just go on google and craigslist?
the 6505 combo is plenty loud enough. i never understand kids and their obsession with half stacks.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
^ I have a peavey vtm60 with a marshall 4x12. Technically that should be more than enough volume in any situation, especially when mic'd up. But I recently tried out for a band and wasn't loud enough. The drummer hit like a monster and the Bassist and other Guitarist had massive orange stacks, I just couldn't move enough air to keep up. So while I agree, sometimes you really do need a flippin stack of amps.
For Frodo!
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
No because a world full of marbles silly man is just as real as a half empty glass of microwaved nesquik.
Quote by robertito696
^ I have a peavey vtm60 with a marshall 4x12. Technically that should be more than enough volume in any situation, especially when mic'd up. But I recently tried out for a band and wasn't loud enough. The drummer hit like a monster and the Bassist and other Guitarist had massive orange stacks, I just couldn't move enough air to keep up. So while I agree, sometimes you really do need a flippin stack of amps.

Playing that loud is insane and your VTM60 should be able to keep up, what speakers are you running?
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
My vote goes to a Peavey 6505 head.
Just another Sheep in the design of the Almighty Machine.

-GEAR-
Gibson 60s Les Paul Tribute (Sunburst)
1999 Ibanez RG470 (TitaniumIce-MIJ)
Jackson RR3 (Trans-Red)
Peavey 6505+
Podx3
Quote by lukaszwida29
So would you say it's be better to just buy it piece by piece if I have to(get a head first, then a cab when I get the money for it, then everything else once I get the money for it) kuz I've got a roland cube 20xl and I'd be fine with having to play on that until I slowly buy all the gear

Yes, you could do that, if you have the patience. Just, as mentioned before, never turn the amp on without a cab connected with a speaker cable, with the impedance matched. You'll blow the head up if you do.

As for where to shop, Guitar Center. Their used selection and prices are very good, and buying used gear from them is just like buying new gear from them. 30 day warranty built in, if it doesn't work when you get it or whatever, they'll take it back no problem. Very safe.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by romeozdistress
the 6505 combo is plenty loud enough. i never understand kids and their obsession with half stacks.

Ya I think I might just get the 6505+ 112 combo, but do you think the 112 is better than the 212?
The 212 is made in USA and is generally higher quality.

However, it's going to be heavier and you'll inevitably have to spend more money to replace the dull Sheffield speakers in them.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Quote by lemurflames
The 212 is made in USA and is generally higher quality.

However, it's going to be heavier and you'll inevitably have to spend more money to replace the dull Sheffield speakers in them.

So would you recommend the 112?
You can gig with anything - it's all up to your drummer. He sets the band volume.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
You can gig with anything - it's all up to your drummer. He sets the band volume.

Thanks, I think I'll just settle for the 6505+ 112 combo then, later on depending wether I have a job and or get into a worthwhile band I might save up for a more expensive half stack, any ideas for a not super expensive but a really amazing head/cab combo?
Used 5150/6505 variant (II , +) and a used Orange/Mesa 412 with V30s for those mids.

Pretty much any decent closed-back cab with the right speakers will do fine. Avoid "MDF" or anything that might hint the cab is made out of compressed paper or something. You want wood.

Also, you don't necessarily need a 412. A 212 and head will do fine.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Quote by lukaszwida29
Also does anyone know if I can gig with a 6505+ 112 combo? Will it be good enough?

It will drown-out a drummer with the volume on 3. For those occasions where sonic annihilation is not loud enough yet, it goes to 10. Personally, my ears start bleeding at 5.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Quote by lemurflames
Used 5150/6505 variant (II , +) and a used Orange/Mesa 412 with V30s for those mids.

Pretty much any decent closed-back cab with the right speakers will do fine. Avoid "MDF" or anything that might hint the cab is made out of compressed paper or something. You want wood.

Also, you don't necessarily need a 412. A 212 and head will do fine.

Alright thanks for the help
Quote by KailM
It will drown-out a drummer with the volume on 3. For those occasions where sonic annihilation is not loud enough yet, it goes to 10. Personally, my ears start bleeding at 5.

Lmao alright thanks
I will throw in my support for a 6505+ 112 combo. For the money you have to spend it's the obvious choice. Throw a good speaker into it and you're set to go. And get an angled amp stand to go under it.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Another vote for 6505+. Throw an OD, Noise Gate, and maybe a new speaker in and it is THE metalcore/deathcore tone.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Quote by Cathbard
I will throw in my support for a 6505+ 112 combo. For the money you have to spend it's the obvious choice. Throw a good speaker into it and you're set to go. And get an angled amp stand to go under it.

I don't know much about speakers, can you tell me which speaker you would choose and why?
Quote by dementiacaptain
Another vote for 6505+. Throw an OD, Noise Gate, and maybe a new speaker in and it is THE metalcore/deathcore tone.

Lol why kind of speaker so you suggest I get and why. And also I'm assuming OD means overdrive pedal? If so than what kind do you think I should get?
Quote by dementiacaptain

And the noise gate is a pedal that gets rid of some of the feedback and unwanted buzz right? Also what order do you think I should run my pedals if I have the special foot switch that matches up with the amp(or am I even gunna need the foot switch?)
Celestion Vintage 30 or a WGS Veteran 30.

The Bad Monkey is a good choice on a budget for OD (yes, overdrive). It's basically a tubescreamer with a bass control added.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification