In my metalwork class at school, I saw under my teachers desk, and saw that he had a kick drum just sitting there. He's a really sound guy, easy to get on with and funny as hell. Asked him what the kick drums all about and why he just has it there, he told me it was left there by the music department for some reason, the bolts and shit around the end holding the drum skin on are broken but fixable. A few thoughts came to mind when he told me I could take it off his hands. (Poor knowledge about drums, I've never owned a kit and I don't play through school anymore)

At first I thought it'd be cool if I had space in my home to build up a kit from shitty random pieces and just get everything dialed in to make it sound as good as realistically possible. Then I thought, hold on, there might be space for my bass amplifier inside that bass drum, would look insanely cool having that set up in my bedroom, and hopefully it could produce a nice extra bassy tone, at the moment I'm using a semi-hollow Ibanez and I miss the tones of a solid body guitar, even the deep tones of my first ever 'Lindo' bass, whatever brand that is.

Basically what I'm thinking is that I could put my bass amplifier inside a kick drum, obviously one end of it left open so I can reach the knobs and have cables run out, and have a really sweet bassy tone. Even if it means facing the amp against a wall and have it reverberate through the drum, that'd surely make some BASSY tones.

Is this doable? I've searched google to no great success and turned here for help, someone PLEASE tell me I can do this, cos my amp most likely will fit inside it, and my teacher has no quarrels with me getting that drum out of his way.

Edit: On second thoughts reading this over after posting; is it the trapping of air inside a covered bass drum that makes the thing 'work'? I don't see how it couldn't work inside a working bass drum, but with one end open I'm not too sure.
Last edited by CraigWazHere at Aug 22, 2014,
You could certainly do it, but if your intention is for that bass drum to be playable, then no, it could not be done. Your bass amp inside the drum would absolutely ruin the acoustics of that bass drum.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
What amp are you using first off? If you want a bigger bass sound you need a bigger amp with the power to handle and produce the low frequencies.
If you want a solid body sound, you need a solid body bass.
For small amps, place the amp (without kick drum) diagonally in a corner, that helps focus the sound.
The kick drum won't provide any positive tone or frequency improvements as far as I can see, it doesn't stop you experimenting but I can't see any science in it.
Quote by JKing138

The kick drum won't provide any positive tone or frequency improvements as far as I can see, it doesn't stop you experimenting but I can't see any science in it.

On the money. Just because it's a bass DRUM doesn't mean it's going to enhance anything at all in the bass guitar region; different stuff altogether. Mostly, you'll end up with a rattly mess and a waste of bedroom space <G>.
Quote by dspellman
On the money. Just because it's a bass DRUM doesn't mean it's going to enhance anything at all in the bass guitar region; different stuff altogether. Mostly, you'll end up with a rattly mess and a waste of bedroom space <G>.

Pretty much this. You'll end up with a lovely combination of rattle and muffled tone.
Yeah you're probably all right.

I first just thought I'd ask people on here what they thought, see if it's even worth doing at all. I thought initially it was such an unusual idea it had to do something at least, even a crunchy trebly tone?

Sorry about the post icon, don't use the forums here enough. Seemed like a good plan next to the header but when I saw it next to other threads. . .

edit: my amps a 60 watt 'Kustom' practice amp, too wee for gigs or even playing with other people, but a good size for linking to an equalizer to make good use of high volume 100 Hz tones, really good when the set up effort is put in. Was sold to my towns music shop, then on to me for £50, couldn't turn it down considering I started playing with a sweet Johnson amp, a Fender copy from a couple decades ago.

I'll need to really dish out on a nice amp, or a new bass. To be honest my tone at the moment is getting pretty boring to keep playing with.
Last edited by CraigWazHere at Aug 22, 2014,
Even budget gear can produce some nice sounds. Learn what your equipment does and can do, and how to produce the sounds that you like. There are tonnes of reading material for bass setup, EQ, etc, on this forum and Talkbass for example. Read and learn, even if you think you know it all. If you like to experiment, try getting a cheap multi effect pedal, the Zoom B1on retail new for around £49 and, although cheap and plastic, have some great sounds from what I hear.