Current gear:
Krank Chadwick 2x12 combo (Eminence texas heat speakers)
USA HSH Fender Strat
Maestro stage phaser

The current dilemma:

I play with my bass buddy 4-5 times a week every other week and I have injured my shoulder and back (even with my brother helping me) a couple times transporting my amp up and down stairs and in and out of a car (90+lbs). It isn't worth transporting the amp often, but I don't really want to sell it because it sounds decent (not amazing) and I only paid $450 for it.

I have drawn up three relatively affordable options for myself to fix this problem:

1. Invest in a 1x12 combo amp. ($400 or so budget, less is great)

I'm very drawn to the Peavy Vypyr tube 60 and Roland Cube 80GX is pretty cool too. I have played a couple of cube's and I really liked them but have heard amazing things about the Tube 60. Jet city seems to be a great option too but they are hard to find. The amp needs to be a combo because I am moving soon and we will taking a huge downsize and we may not have room for two large amps.

2. Pay a woodworker to convert my amp to a head and cab.
I have no idea how much this would cost, any clue? I'd like to have this done eventually just for the sake of convenience.

3. Invest in a Line 6 POD HD500X (under $450 new)
So I have been looking to get into pedals and effects lately (since all I have is a vintage maestro stage phaser) and I youtube'd the 500X today and it seemed to be absolutely amazing. There are SO many options but I'd probably use less than half of them. It looks like a pain in the butt to learn how to use but I was really surprised at how awesome it sounded running through a power amp and speakers. I could bring this to my friend's house and plug into one of his lower end SS amps and be all set. Individual pedals probably have a overall better tone but I can't get over how cool this thing is. What do ya'll think of it? I want one, like now lol.

BTW, some tonz I like for suggestions/input on the POD and amps
Queensryche: Mindcrime and Empire albums
Iron Maiden: The classics, NOB, Poweslave, Somewhere in Time, etc.
Rush: again, the classics
Liquid Tension Experiment/Dream Theater
Dokken, Back for the Attack
AC/DC, Back in Black
After that its a bunch of random stuff from Skynrd to Poison, to Muse, to A7x and everything in between.

Can the POD pull this off effectively? If so I'm getting one nowzer lol.
Thanks for all you help!
Last edited by JGM258 at Aug 21, 2014,
I'm pretty sure I'm going with the POD, but I always appreciate some advice. A 1x12 would be fun too, any input is much appreciated!
I skimmed. Didn't read the whole thing.

But immediately I was reminded the Pod HD stuff can do dual signals. You can have both a guitar and a bass going into the device and going out to their own PA/Power amp & cab.

One HD 500 and two powered monitors can cover two people for some practice.

If you are going to plug it into an amp, make sure you're going into the FX loop, not the guitar input. You need to bypass the preamp.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
You might also look at the Pod HD bean. For just noodling around the house, you really don't need a footpedal all that much.

When you do, you MAY just want to get by with the FBV Express (expression pedal, tuner display, tap tempo, four bank switches) and do your channel switching on the Pod itself.

Or you can pick up the FBV Shortboard (used, under $100) and it'll do almost everything there is to do on the pod.

If you do anything with gain, this will help you: http://foobazaar.com/podhd/toneGuide/ and will give you a good idea of what the HD is capable of.

I run my HD through a set of powered recording monitors (KRK Rokit 8's) if I need sound at home, but a good powered PA-type speaker will save your back and give you more than enough punch if you need to make noise.

Something like this: http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/PM15A, with a 400W (RMS) amp, 15" LF driver, 1.5" VC Titanium HF driver. It's $289 from Carvin, weighs about 37 pounds (compared to your current 90 lbs). It's also got inputs for other instruments, microphone, with a mini-mixer on the back.

Quote by lemurflames

But immediately I was reminded the Pod HD stuff can do dual signals. You can have both a guitar and a bass going into the device and going out to their own PA/Power amp & cab.

One HD 500 and two powered monitors can cover two people for some practice.

Nope. The Pods can run two separate "rigs" internally at the same time (clean/wet, etc.) for a single guitar, but there aren't two separate inputs, and there's really no way to have two separate instruments playing through the Pod at once. You can definitely run the output to two different places (it's stereo, so you can pan one rig full left, one full right and run each side of the signal to a different amp/speaker).

You CAN run two (or three) different inputs on the Carvin powered speaker, above.
Last edited by dspellman at Aug 24, 2014,
Yup. The HD500 and the Pro has two inputs, one of them isn't explicitly labeled "guitar" input.

You can split the chain in half. An amp for each chain and have Input going to one and Aux going to the other. Then you have the mixer at the end of the chain panning one amp 100% left and the other 100% right.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Last edited by lemurflames at Aug 24, 2014,
I'd say go for the Line6 POD HD500X myself. I'd love to get one myself but I'm gonna have to win the lottery first lol
Great suggestions so far!

I've been thinking this thing over and am pretty sure I want a multi effects board.
If I go for the HD500X, I am not going to use most of it's effects, all I really am going to use it for is:
Effects, wah, compressor, OD, delay, etc
Better cleans than what my amp currently offers.

I know next to nothing about 90% of what this thing has to offer (like what you and Lemurflames were discussing. I was like, lol wut)

That may make you think I should go for a a simpler option or just start out with a couple of pedal, but I won't compromise any sort of tonal quality and I don't want to limit myself to two or three effects.

So now what I'm asking is...
Is the HD500X more than what I can handle? I know almost nothing about how sound systems work, but I really love the sound and versatility of this product. All I am using it for is a couple effects, a better clean channel, and just having fun playing with it. I will simply hook it up to my amp and run my guitar through it, simple as that. I would love to own this, but perhaps there is a better board out there for me?
Quote by lemurflames
Yup. The HD500 and the Pro has two inputs, one of them isn't explicitly labeled "guitar" input.

You can split the chain in half. An amp for each chain and have Input going to one and Aux going to the other. Then you have the mixer at the end of the chain panning one amp 100% left and the other 100% right.

Dang! Now I'm gonna have to go look. I've got an HD500 but have never plugged more than one guitar in. Don't have a Pro. Have a bunch of the Beans.

Sunnuva....
Hey,

After a long wait i finally got my hands on the POD HD 500X
Tried using the looper function. There is a delay (Empty space) between the loops.

Is there some setting tweeks i need to figure out? or is there an issue with the gear?

Thanks