I've got a pretty cheap Strat copy guitar that plays pretty well, but there is a lot of hum and I'm not in love with the pickups. It has a natural finish that looks great, and a while back I put a tortoise shell pickguard on because I like how they look on a natural guitar. Anyway, I'm thinking of upgrading to some Seymour Duncan SSL-1s, and I found a set for sale that's pre-wired in another tortoise shell pickguard, and am thinking about getting it and doing some copper shielding at the same time. The things is, and I know its not THAT important in the scheme of things, I can't decide on black or white plastics. I did a quick Google image search and for some reason almost all of the natural Strats I could find with tortoise shell pickguards have white knobs/pickups (It looks like G&L does black, but never any Fenders). But I'm leaning towards the black. Is there some aesthetic reason people aren't doing this more often? Personally I find the white clashes a lot with the tortoise shell so I'm thinking black will the better choice.. am I missing something? (BTW I have black graphite bridge saddles as well) Also, quick question.. when you buy a pre-wired pickguard does it usually come with mounting screws? I lost a few along the way..

thanks
Last edited by lose311 at Aug 21, 2014,
They usually don't come with the screw. Knobs and new pickups covers are cheap, don't worry about if they're white or black, you can get new ones at any guitar shop for low scratch.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
That's true, but they've got 'em in both black and white, so I'd like to make the right choice first time around if I can. Plus I've been out of the game for a while so I've got years of GAS building up, want to do this right.
Personally, if I were upgrading a guitar, I wouldn't use a pre-loaded pickguard unless it had EXACTLY the color and pickups I wanted. Not that there aren't some KILLER prewired pick-guards out there...

IOW, I'd buy them separately.

Probably.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Aug 21, 2014,
Personally, if I were upgrading a guitar, I wouldn't use a pre-loaded pickguard unless it had EXACTLY the color and pickups I wanted. Not that there aren't some KILLER prewired pick-guards out there...

IOW, I'd buy them separately.

I was originally going to just buy the pickups alone and be done with it, but for $30 extra I can get a new pickguard, and more importantly, upgraded pots and caps. Sure I can do all that myself for less money, but I'd rather have one wired by a pro for a few extra bucks.

thanks for the replies.. I guess I'm still leaning towards the blacks. Got a few more days to mull it over.

Quote by dannyalcatraz

eh.. I guess I'm more a fan of the understated look. Most of those look fugly lol. I guess thats why all my guitars/basses are either natural or sunburst.. too many bright colors ruin the aesthetic for me.
Last edited by lose311 at Aug 22, 2014,
Just throwing this out there. Have you checked to make sure the mounting screw holes are the same number and pattern?
YA GOTTA HIT IT ON THE ONE
pics of gear updated on profile 11/16/09