So lately I've been really getting into more 'lyrical' approaches to lead guitar playing. I'm primarily a blues/blues rock/psychedelic/fuzz rock player, so I feel like this is something that I'm already doing, but I need to hone in on more.

I've accepted (well, years ago) that I'm not a 'technical' player. Long arpeggiated sweeps played at breakneck speeds not only scare me (The muscles in my hand can't handle them for some reason), but I find them to be boring. They make people's jaws drop, but I feel like emulating the human voice and it's nuances seems to be received better by an audience.

Anyway, I was hoping someone could suggest some singers to look into. I've been listening to a lot of Derek Trucks lately and I've been listening to Hendrix since before I picked up a guitar, so I understand the basic concepts of the whole thing (it's more about pick attack, position between the neck and bridge that you're picking, and using slides and hammer-ons/pull-offs (and combos of the two) to emulate vocal phrasing), but being that I play guitar, I've always gravitated toward good guitar playing more than good vocal performance.

Any suggestions? I'm looking for soulful and dynamic. A singer (or singers) that have that 'Hendrix' thing that no one seems to be able to put to words, but still makes them top those 'top 100' lists every single time for best at their craft.

Also, any suggestions on how to improve on this type of stuff is extremely appreciated. It seems like there aren't any lessons on this type of stuff.
Last edited by mjones1992 at Aug 22, 2014,
Quote by JohnProphet
one possibility springs to mind right away, Clare Torry on Pink Floyds "The great gig in the sky"

Starting at 1:06

Video

Lol how did I miss this one?? Thanks for reminding me that this exists. Time to get to work
Quote by mjones1992
So lately I've been really getting into more 'lyrical' approaches to lead guitar playing. I'm primarily a blues/blues rock/psychedelic/fuzz rock player, so I feel like this is something that I'm already doing, but I need to hone in on more.

I've accepted (well, years ago) that I'm not a 'technical' player. Long arpeggiated sweeps played at breakneck speeds not only scare me (The muscles in my hand can't handle them for some reason), but I find them to be boring. They make people's jaws drop, but I feel like emulating the human voice and it's nuances seems to be received better by an audience.

Anyway, I was hoping someone could suggest some singers to look into. I've been listening to a lot of Derek Trucks lately and I've been listening to Hendrix since before I picked up a guitar, so I understand the basic concepts of the whole thing (it's more about pick attack, position between the neck and bridge that you're picking, and using slides and hammer-ons/pull-offs (and combos of the two) to emulate vocal phrasing), but being that I play guitar, I've always gravitated toward good guitar playing more than good vocal performance.

Any suggestions? I'm looking for soulful and dynamic. A singer (or singers) that have that 'Hendrix' thing that no one seems to be able to put to words, but still makes them top those 'top 100' lists every single time for best at their craft.

Also, any suggestions on how to improve on this type of stuff is extremely appreciated. It seems like there aren't any lessons on this type of stuff.

These are among my favorite soulful and dynamic vocalists:

1) Sam Cooke - see Bring it on Home, Get yourself another fool, Summertime
2) Bill Withers - Ain't no Sunshine, Grandma's Hands, Lean on Me etc.
3) Raphael Saadiq - Good Man, 100 Yard Dash, Stone Rollin
4) Amy Whinehouse - Back to Black, You know I'm no good
5) Lana Del Ray - West Coast, Ultraviolence, Cruel World ( the entire Ultraviolence album is really solid)
Quote by reverb66

5) Lana Del Ray - West Coast, Ultraviolence, Cruel World ( the entire Ultraviolence album is really solid)

Ah cool! thanks. I'll check these out. I love me some Sam Cooke
Quote by reverb66

This man knows his stuff. I'd add Al Green to the list. Mind you pretty much anything from Stax and Motown records should suffice.
Quote by reverb66

2) Bill Withers - Ain't no Sunshine,

I love to play the vocal melody on my guitar.
Si