Hey guys,
Got a new guitar today (Schecter Hellraiser C1) and it's absolutely amazing! I am having a few problems with pinch harmonics on it though. I know pinch harmonics are different on every guitar and the sweet spots vary but im pretty sure something in my set-up is holding them back. I've previously had a Tokai Les Paul with stock pickups and I could make it scream everywhere. With my hellraiser the pinch harmonics start to ring through but then die after about 0.5-1 second. I tried playing them everywhere and still can't get them to scream. The pickups are active EMGs (81 in the bridge and 85 in the neck) and I've tried brand new batteries but that doesn't make a difference. I adjusted the pickup height, action and intonation but that doesn't seem to help either.
I am using lots of gain through my amp and have adjusted EQ's etc. Any idea what the problem could be? I hope it's technique but I really don't think it is because I can make the pinch harmonics scream acoustically when the guitar isn't plugged in. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks
It is impossible to tell you how to best set up a specific guitar over the internet. Take it to a good guitar technician and have him or her advise you on how best to proceed.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Quote by FatalGear41
It is impossible to tell you how to best set up a specific guitar over the internet. Take it to a good guitar technician and have him or her advise you on how best to proceed.

This, my local music store does a full set-up for 40.00 w/new strings. Only takes a day, look around to see if you can find any good stores like mine.
Just another Sheep in the design of the Almighty Machine.

-GEAR-
Gibson 60s Les Paul Tribute (Sunburst)
1999 Ibanez RG470 (TitaniumIce-MIJ)
Jackson RR3 (Trans-Red)
Peavey 6505+
Podx3
If the harmonics are fine unplugged then it isn’t the setup. Have you tried hitting harmonics on other guitars with EMGs? You might just need to get used to the different sound or need to EQ your guitar differently.
Yeah, it sounds like you just need to get your tone straightened out a bit more. I have the same guitar, with the EMG 81/85 set, and I don't have much trouble getting good pinch harmonics. I'm not all that good at them anyway, though. But I have had other friends who are much better at them play my guitar, and they can make it absolutely shriek, so I know that I'm personally just held back because I have terrible pinch harmonic technique.

Also, did you buy that new, or used? If it's new, or just newer than... 2007-2008 I believe, than it actually doesn't have the 81/85 set. It's the coil-splitting 81TW/89R. If that's the case, make sure you have the tone knobs pressed in, so the pups are in humbucker mode. If the tone knobs are pulled out, the pickups are in single-coil mode, and that'll definitely make for weaker sounding pinch harmonics.
Quote by the_bi99man
Yeah, it sounds like you just need to get your tone straightened out a bit more. I have the same guitar, with the EMG 81/85 set, and I don't have much trouble getting good pinch harmonics. I'm not all that good at them anyway, though. But I have had other friends who are much better at them play my guitar, and they can make it absolutely shriek, so I know that I'm personally just held back because I have terrible pinch harmonic technique.

Also, did you buy that new, or used? If it's new, or just newer than... 2007-2008 I believe, than it actually doesn't have the 81/85 set. It's the coil-splitting 81TW/89R. If that's the case, make sure you have the tone knobs pressed in, so the pups are in humbucker mode. If the tone knobs are pulled out, the pickups are in single-coil mode, and that'll definitely make for weaker sounding pinch harmonics.

Brand new, with locking tuners and the 81TW/89R combo. Definitely covered all basses in terms of settings on the guitar. Regular notes seem to be lacking sustain as well so I'm still a bit unsure. Could it be the wiring
It might be your action simply being too low, causing notes to lose sustain.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by jpnyc
Have you replaced the factory strings?

Yeah I had the shop I got it from put 12-56 earnie balls in it.
Quote by Cobjayy
Yeah I had the shop I got it from put 12-56 earnie balls in it.

And I'm assuming they got it set up correctly for that? Schecters come with 10-46 sets from the factory, so that big of a jump will definitely take some adjustment. But yeah, as someone else just said, it could just be too low of action. Everybody loves low action, especially for fast heavy music, but you do lose sustain and tone at a certain point. I keep the action on my Hellraiser (with 10-52 Skinny top heavy bottoms) just a little higher than most metal players I know would prefer.
Last edited by the_bi99man at Aug 23, 2014,
Quote by the_bi99man
And I'm assuming they got it set up correctly for that? Schecters come with 10-46 sets from the factory, so that big of a jump will definitely take some adjustment. But yeah, as someone else just said, it could just be too low of action. Everybody loves low action, especially for fast heavy music, but you do lose sustain and tone at a certain point. I keep the action on my Hellraiser (with 10-52 Skinny top heavy bottoms) just a little higher than most metal players I know would prefer.

Yeah I paid for the set up with 12-56's but apparently they didn't do a very good job. I've tried raising the action by bringing the bridge up but that didn't make a difference. Also added a bit more relief to the neck with a minor truss rod adjustment but I wasn't keen on fiddling around with that too much. How much affect does neck bow have on action? I think I'll end up taking it to my local music store for the guys there to have a look at it.
Not at home and don't know the correct model off hand. But I just got the 7 string hellraiser. Pretty sure mine has 2 89s though. Anyhow, set it up with some 13-74s and adjusted everything and have no issues myself. Maybe it is bad wiring?