Hi guys, I'm looking to enhance my playing and I've got to a stage where YouTube videos aren't in depth enough for me. Could you please advise some Books for me that go into detail about the characteristics of styles? I'm looking at getting into Motown, rockabilly (or 50s style) and funk.

I've always previously used my ear but now I'd like to take a more schooled approach too add to what I've already got so I'm looking for really in depth looks at different styles.

Thanks
What would be much better is if you just learned theory and then dove in to learning and deconstructing a whole bunch of songs.

Read these: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/search.php?search_type=columns&value=the+crusade
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Those aren't "book learning styles" really. You should be working things out by ear and deconstructing them yourself ( as mentioned above).

Rockabilly - Brian Setzer has an instructional video I believe that would really take care of that style. He's as good as it gets.
Last edited by reverb66 at Aug 22, 2014,
As previously mentioned, i would not advocate learning styles through books. Dont get me wrong, many books have good information, but they might aid you with one element of the style more than anything else. To really learn a style you have to have it in your ears. For example a big part of being good at playing Funk and Motown tunes is having the groove, i have yet to find a book that can explain how to do so properly. The way to get it is to imitate it from recordings.

So yeah, make playlists with tunes from those styles that you enjoy and then break those tunes down. Learn them by ear and get explore the styles, that will benefit you the most in my opinion.

On instructional videos for aid with techniques you may come across however, i recommend (the already mentioned) Brian Setzer instructional video (you can find it in its entirety on youtube) for Rockabilly, aswell as Ross Boltons DVD for Funk Rhythm guitar (also on youtube).
Fusion and jazz musician, a fan of most music.

Quote by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
I'm not advocating removing theory from the learning process it's a case of how to apply it. What I'm looking for is for someone who can provide insights that I wouldn't get by myself. These aren't styles I play very often and to me it seems like it'd be helpful to have an in depth view of the intricacies of a style from someone who plays it regularly.

Example: any idiot can work out a 12 bar, but there are decades and decades of superb players who've done more with blues than that. Rather than stumbling blind into a genre I know only the basics of I thought it'd be nice to have someone explain the subtleties that someone who's not familiar with the style might miss.
Quote by CobenBlack
I'm not advocating removing theory from the learning process it's a case of how to apply it. What I'm looking for is for someone who can provide insights that I wouldn't get by myself. These aren't styles I play very often and to me it seems like it'd be helpful to have an in depth view of the intricacies of a style from someone who plays it regularly.

Example: any idiot can work out a 12 bar, but there are decades and decades of superb players who've done more with blues than that. Rather than stumbling blind into a genre I know only the basics of I thought it'd be nice to have someone explain the subtleties that someone who's not familiar with the style might miss.

Neither did we say you did. Zaphod, Reverb and me only mean that books often have difficulty explaining styles, since a common problem with music books (occurs with theory books aswell) is that they get stuck on everything that has to do with notes (Scales, arpeggios, chords etc) and dont give a good insight into the other elements of music that define that style (Rhythm, Tone, Dynamics, Articulation, Technique, Emotion, Listening, Space, Phrasing). And learning tunes and analyzing them by yourself would fill those gaps.

As said though, the DVDs reverb and i mentioned that can be found on youtube give a good basis to work from. Check them out.
Fusion and jazz musician, a fan of most music.

Quote by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
Quote by CobenBlack

that's fair enough, i agree with you. if "work it out yourself" was the best approach western countries wouldn't spend millions employing teachers in a "free" education system. (that's not to say that work on your own is pointless either, because it's not, and to get really good you'll have to do that too, but yeah. "work it out on your own" is of much more use, if you ask me, once you already have the basics, and the quickest way to get those is from a good teacher, or failing that, a good instructional method like a book.)

have you looked on amazon? they have tons of guitar books there (a fair few on different styles) and you can normally look inside most of them to get at least a rough idea of what they're like.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?