I am upgrading my Edge III tremolo on my Ibanez RGR420EX, I already ordered these items from FU-TONE.COM:

Brass Claw
Heavy Duty Noiseless Springs
Brass Tremelo Stopper
Brass Big Block

Now, I was considering using my factory block screws to hold my new brass block, or should I buy them online at FU-TONE.COM? He has two options;

Regular Block Mounting Screws x3($12.95 US)
Stainless Steel Block Mounting Screws x3(15.95 US)

Heres the link to view them; http://www.fu-tone.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=67

Now, my question: Does it REALLY matter which screws I get? Do the Stainless ones really affect tone more than the regular screws, or is this just a marketing ploy? 30 bucks for 6 screws seems a bit....much. What do you think?

*Guitars*
Ibanez RGR420EX(Silver Artic Frost)

Ibanez AEG10E (Black)
*Effects Pedals*
BOSS GT-10 FX Pedal
*Amps*
Fender Bullet 150 40W
Ibanez IBZ10B 15W
Silvertone Smart IIIs 10W
Harmony 25W

~More Coming Soon!~
Just measure your current screws (they're probably M5 or so), then find some replacements on eBay for pennies/cents.
Good idea!

*Guitars*

Ibanez AEG10E (Black)
*Effects Pedals*
BOSS GT-10 FX Pedal
*Amps*
Fender Bullet 150 40W
Ibanez IBZ10B 15W
Harmony 25W

~More Coming Soon!~
Quote by bessemerdude
I am upgrading my Edge III tremolo on my Ibanez RGR420EX, I already ordered these items from FU-TONE.COM:

Brass Claw
Heavy Duty Noiseless Springs
Brass Tremelo Stopper
Brass Big Block

Now, my question: Does it REALLY matter which screws I get? Do the Stainless ones really affect tone more than the regular screws, or is this just a marketing ploy? ?

The screws are immaterial to tone, as is the brass claw. The Brass Big Block will, however, make a very noticeable difference, and they've become a requirement on my Floyds.
Oh ok, good. I don't feel like wasting 30 bucks on screws if I can't detect a noticeable tone difference. The brass claw however I heard on several websites/upgrading forums will bring back the highs that are lost when installing a big block. It only takes a second to solder so I don't mind having it

*Guitars*

Ibanez AEG10E (Black)
*Effects Pedals*
BOSS GT-10 FX Pedal
*Amps*
Fender Bullet 150 40W
Ibanez IBZ10B 15W
Harmony 25W

~More Coming Soon!~
Quote by bessemerdude
Oh ok, good. I don't feel like wasting 30 bucks on screws if I can't detect a noticeable tone difference. The brass claw however I heard on several websites/upgrading forums will bring back the highs that are lost when installing a big block. It only takes a second to solder so I don't mind having it

Whatever the brass claw may do, it would have to be subtle. There's a guy named Stephen Smith who wrote an article for the SD blog who claimed almost simultaneously that a brass claw retained highs and that it better transferred string energy into the body and that it increased sustain. Those are contradictory physics.

And in any case, all of this would have to be transferred through the springs in order to get to the brass claw, and the whole point of a brass sustain block is to keep energy in the strings (not to transfer it anywhere). I don't think any of these guys stayed awake in their science classes (if indeed they attended them). I think they pay more attention to the marketing flotsam in the press releases. And to the "Look, shiny yellow metal!" aspect of things. And make no mistake, I like shiny things, too <G>.
Last edited by dspellman at Aug 25, 2014,
lol well said, I already paid for it, so I might as well install it instead of returning it with shipping and a 20% restocking fee. I am probably going to get a tiny terminal and solder the ground wire to that, then screw a hole in the brass claw and tighten the terminal down with a screw . Better connection that way at least, and brass is a PAIN to solder as well.

*Guitars*

Ibanez AEG10E (Black)
*Effects Pedals*
BOSS GT-10 FX Pedal
*Amps*
Fender Bullet 150 40W
Ibanez IBZ10B 15W
Harmony 25W

~More Coming Soon!~
Quote by bessemerdude
lol well said, I already paid for it, so I might as well install it instead of returning it with shipping and a 20% restocking fee. I am probably going to get a tiny terminal and solder the ground wire to that, then screw a hole in the brass claw and tighten the terminal down with a screw . Better connection that way at least, and brass is a PAIN to solder as well.

Very wise move with the terminal.

Yeah, if you've already got it on order, put it in and brag about it <G>. I would. Certainly nothing in the world *wrong* with having a shiny new brass claw in the back of your guitar...
Im just happy to know that block screws don't matter, at least when it comes to tone, stupid snake oil! Thanks for saving me the trouble of having buyers remorse! I will pass the word on to others, like a prophet lol.

*Guitars*

Ibanez AEG10E (Black)
*Effects Pedals*
BOSS GT-10 FX Pedal
*Amps*
Fender Bullet 150 40W
Ibanez IBZ10B 15W
Harmony 25W

~More Coming Soon!~
honestly, your money would have been better spend upgrading to an Edge Pro trem which I believe is a drop in replacement for the Edge 3. The problem with the Edge 3 is the knife edges wear out real fast and you're stuck with a guitar that doesn't hold tune for anything.
I owned this axe with the edge 3 since 2009, playing it almost every day, still holds tune like a boss. the knife edge still looks good to me!

*Guitars*

Ibanez AEG10E (Black)
*Effects Pedals*
BOSS GT-10 FX Pedal
*Amps*
Fender Bullet 150 40W
Ibanez IBZ10B 15W
Harmony 25W

~More Coming Soon!~
Last edited by bessemerdude at Aug 28, 2014,
And yes the Pro is a drop in replacement. Maybe down the road ill consider upgrading to a ibanez edge pro trem,but for now i think my trem is just fine. All things said though, the edge pro will still wear away, so i know my axe will need 2-3 new trems installed in its lifetime, which i hope is 20+ years . But yea, as of today, my ibanez holds tune perfect and doesn't drop at all, maybe a bit here and there from wailing away for hours and hours on end but thats what happens, strings stretch and tuning changes. But it only shifts maybe 5-8 cents out of perfect tuning, which isn't a huge tone difference in a live band situation, considering one of my mates is playing a Gibson SG (crappy G string ALWAYS falls out of tune almost every other song!!) So much for his $800 Gibson VS. my $400 Ibanez, (which was actually a reduced price from the $1200 sticker on a website)

*Guitars*

Ibanez AEG10E (Black)
*Effects Pedals*
BOSS GT-10 FX Pedal
*Amps*
Fender Bullet 150 40W
Ibanez IBZ10B 15W
Harmony 25W

~More Coming Soon!~
Last edited by bessemerdude at Aug 28, 2014,