Page 1 of 2
So I was just walking home and thinking about suicide and the likes, and I'm generally in favour of letting people who want to die, die. Especially when they are terminally ill, and will slowly wither away instead of being allowed to die when they choose.

More often than not, euthanasia and specifically suicide is defined as 'a permanent solution to a temporary problem'

this really bugs me, why do people never talk about the 'permanent' problems?

What about people with mental illness or physical problems(as in quadriplegic, not back aches) or anything else that causes 'permanent' unhappiness(quality of life). is nobody allowed to just simply end their own suffering, or if asked, someone elses?

If you saw a deer laying on the side of the road after being hit by a car, still alive but clearly unable to survive more than an hour, it will just lay there suffering till its death, and you have the means to kill it and end its suffering and do just that, people claim that is the humane thing to do. but if someone has a stroke in a hospital and can't survive without permanent life support, they have have to starve to death if they (or the family) request death. and somehow that is also humane.

Idk man, just shit I think about when I walk home from work...

what do you guys think of dying with dignity or even simply having the right to die?
It's over simplified, So what!

Quote by eGraham
I'm going to be on top of what is called a knob
Quote by theguitarist
Big ones can be fun in some ways but generally, they are a pain in the ass.
Quote by Wolfinator-x
I don't know what is going on in this thread or why I have an erection.
ah. walking and thinking is where most of my ideas come from.

nobody dies with dignity, it's impossible. when you die, you're not in control of anything. it happens to everything that lives, we can't avoid it or make it look good either.

i don't even know what it means to have a 'right' to do something, but if you ask me if it can be morally right to kill yourself or be killed, i'll say yes. everyone dies but it doesn't mean you have to wait until your body clocks out, sometimes something else clocks out first.
Click here to hear my BOB DYLAN (Blowing in the Wind) out right now May 2k17
Everybody has the right to their own lives. Therefore everyone should have the right to end it.

Regarding 'permanent solution to temporary problems', the crux is how temporary the issue is. But it's usually told by people who are ignorant to protraction of their psychology. In other words, they usually don't realize the scale of their suffrage from the perspective of the person who wants to die.

EDIT: I wouldn't say that dignity is impossible when you die, as dignity can be represented through circumstances that are meaningful to the dead person. Such as location, symbolism and a load of other factors.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Aug 22, 2014,
Your life is the only thing you ever truly own in this world and it should be yours to do with as you wish. I do think, like with all things, you should take the thoughts and feelings into consideration before taking any rash action.

I do believe in the right to die for terminally ill people etc though. At the same time i can also appreciate why it is such a legal minefield. It would need to be seriously regulated
Life, by it's very nature, is a temporary problem.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
it is a crime that we cause so much suffering by not allowing those with terminal illnesses the freedom to have agency over their own death. I've worked at a hospital for a long time. There is nothing worse than artificially keeping people alive even though the family and the patient just want the suffering to end.
Darnit, obscene. How am I supposed to make a crack about you being Australian going out by wrestling an alligator with this thread being as serious as it is?
There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
That's why we have euthanasia here and are extending it to mental patients and even children in certain situations.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
I go by the ass wipe theory.

If you can't wipe your own ass, go kill yourself.

I'm not sure how ethical this is, and I'm sure there's some loopholes, but if I'm old and can't wipe my ass, please do me over.
what i'd really like to see is an option for euthanasia in prisoners serving life without chance of parole.
i don't know why i feel so dry
Quote by slapsymcdougal
Life, by it's very nature, is a temporary problem.

You get me <3

Quote by Eastwinn
what i'd really like to see is an option for euthanasia in prisoners serving life without chance of parole.

non-voluntary euthanasia is homicide

you can't just go offing people because they're a bad person.
It's over simplified, So what!

Quote by eGraham
I'm going to be on top of what is called a knob
Quote by theguitarist
Big ones can be fun in some ways but generally, they are a pain in the ass.
Quote by Wolfinator-x
I don't know what is going on in this thread or why I have an erection.
Quote by Obsceneairwaves
non-voluntary euthanasia is homicide

you can't just go offing people because they're a bad person.

no no no no it would be voluntary.

edit: for what it's worth, i'd like life sentences without parole to have the same treatment as capital punishment -- automatic appeal, only for 1st degree murder, etc. obv i'm not for capital punishment. hope you see what i'm getting at.
Last edited by Eastwinn at Aug 22, 2014,
Quote by Philip_pepper
I go by the ass wipe theory.

If you can't wipe your own ass, go kill yourself.

I'm not sure how ethical this is, and I'm sure there's some loopholes, but if I'm old and can't wipe my ass, please do me over.

How would people with no arms but who also still love life wipe their own arse? Would they just back up in to something and grind the poop off?
When I was eleven I broke the patio window and my mother sued me... She's always been a very aggressive litigator.
Quote by link no1
How would people with no arms but who also still love life wipe their own arse? Would they just back up in to something and grind the poop off?

Like I said, loopholes.
Quote by Neo Evil11
That's why we have euthanasia here and are extending it to mental patients and even children in certain situations.

Go Netherlands!

EDIT:

Just realised my point may be misconstrued...
I'm not high-fiving death, I'm high-fiving the liberty to choose.
Last edited by ultimate-slash at Aug 22, 2014,
My grandad is in a home, and we visited him today. When I left, I came to the conclusion that I'd much, much rather die with dignity, in control of myself, my faculties, and my life, rather than end up like the people in there, drooling into their laps, lying with their face in their plates full of food, shaking so much they can't even lift a fork to feed themselves. That's no kind of life.
Quote by ultimate-slash
Go Netherlands!

EDIT:

Just realised my point may be misconstrued...
I'm not high-fiving death, I'm high-fiving the liberty to choose.

Well, you have to fall into certain categories ofcourse (it has to be severely bad). So it's not a choice for everyone, just for those very ill.

I'm sure you got that. It's just that the liberty to choose sounds like everyone can just walk into a suicide boot.

edit: I was wrong about a few things stated here earlier (now deleted). The doctor only has to ask another doctor to supervise the procedure. They don't have to ask permission to anyone. The case will, however, be judged after the procedure has been done.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Last edited by Neo Evil11 at Aug 22, 2014,
Quote by BelowTheSun
My grandad is in a home, and we visited him today. When I left, I came to the conclusion that I'd much, much rather die with dignity, in control of myself, my faculties, and my life, rather than end up like the people in there, drooling into their laps, lying with their face in their plates full of food, shaking so much they can't even lift a fork to feed themselves. That's no kind of life.

Yep. Very sad. I've had the exact same thought.
Quote by Neo Evil11
Well, you have to fall into certain categories ofcourse (it has to be severely bad). So it's not a choice for everyone, just for those very ill.

I'm sure you got that. It's just that the liberty to choose sounds like everyone can just walk into a suicide boot.

edit: I was wrong about a few things stated here earlier (now deleted). The doctor only has to ask another doctor to supervise the procedure. They don't have to ask permission to anyone. The case will, however, be judged after the procedure has been done.

Yeah, I get that. I maybe could have worded that a bit better.
I'm just glad that this is one of the things our country seems to get right/better than a lot of countries, as far as I'm concerned.
Quote by Eastwinn
no no no no it would be voluntary.

So basically physician assisted suicide for prisoners serving life sentences?
Gear:

ESP EC-50
ESP FB-204

MXR '78 Custom Badass Distortion
Dunlop Crybaby
MXR EVH Phase 90
MXR Analog Chorus

"Music is the strongest form of magic." - Marilyn Manson
Quote by SexyBeast810
So basically physician assisted suicide for prisoners serving life sentences?

without parole
That's what I meant.
Gear:

ESP EC-50
ESP FB-204

MXR '78 Custom Badass Distortion
Dunlop Crybaby
MXR EVH Phase 90
MXR Analog Chorus

"Music is the strongest form of magic." - Marilyn Manson
I speak out on this issue a lot but i cba to write anything long right now so I'll just say euthanasia is obviously good but suicide is good too and people shouldnt try to be interfering dickwads about it
Quote by NewDayHappy
It's a pretty selfish thing to do.

Even in the cases where this would have any value, it's still your own life and no one else but you should be able to decide when it ends. It's not that people genuinely want to die because that seems like so much fun, it's because they feel that's simply the best option they have left.

I don't think death can ever really be considered a good thing (to me it's not even bad, it's just something that happens), but sometimes it can be the best alternative.
Quote by ultimate-slash
Even in the cases where this would have any value, it's still your own life and no one else but you should be able to decide when it ends. It's not that people genuinely want to die because that seems like so much fun, it's because they feel that's simply the best option they have left.

I don't think death can ever really be considered a good thing (to me it's not even bad, it's just something that happens), but sometimes it can be the best alternative.

I'm talking about people committing suicide when they have a newborn baby to take care of or family they're leaving behind. I understand if you're lonely and feel undervalued like nobody loves you or you have nothing going on in your life. I could never take my own life, even if nobody loved me, I'm just too vain so it's hard for me to understand suicide. I prefer loneliness, I hate people. Most of my days are filled with doing things I absolutely love, I have too much passion to die, I'm going to live forever.
Quote by NewDayHappy
I'm talking about people committing suicide when they have a newborn baby to take care of or family they're leaving behind. I understand if you're lonely and feel undervalued like nobody loves you or you have nothing going on in your life. I could never take my own life, even if nobody loved me, I'm just too vain so it's hard for me to understand suicide.

My parents hold this belief, but they take it to the extreme. They consider all people who suicide as cowards and that suicide should be illegal as a means to deter people. It makes talking about my own problems super awkward.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
To die with dignity, one must first have dignity.

Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
We should let people kill themselves. There are too many people on this planet anyway, might as well let a few of them off themselves to help keep the numbers down a bit.
I shall grant you three wishes.

None of which will work.

Does the above post enrage, offend or confuse you?

Good.

I like my women how I like my guitars. Curvy and like it when I finger them.
Quote by eGraham
To die with dignity, one must first have dignity.

And there I was putting all my hopes on the free dignity credits I was going to get when I die.

Well, I sure as hell don't want to die if there's no free credits involved!
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
My parents hold this belief, but they take it to the extreme. They consider all people who suicide as cowards and that suicide should be illegal as a means to deter people. It makes talking about my own problems super awkward.

I've heard of people taking shotguns to the face and leaving their families to clean up the bones and brain that's stuck in the wall and the blood that's in the carpet. If you're going to do something like that, at least slit your wrists in a bathtub full of water so there is no mess clean.

In some cases I still think it's cowardly to take your own life, like look at what Kurt Cobain did. That's a coward move. Blowing your brain out right after your beautiful daughter is born, leaving her to grow up without a dad.
When my gran was 65 she said if i ever land up in a old folks home, put a ****in bullet in my head. We share the same carpe diem values and here for a good time not a long time.

Now she is 80 and works part time in an old folks home. Anyone got a gun i can borrow?!
you cant die with dignity, but you can live with it.
If you do something right, no one will know you've done anything at all

Proud to be called Best Friends with Pastafarian96
Quote by NewDayHappy
I've heard of people taking shotguns to the face and leaving their families to clean up the bones and brain that's stuck in the wall and the blood that's in the carpet. If you're going to do something like that, at least slit your wrists in a bathtub full of water so there is no mess clean.

In some cases I still think it's cowardly to take your own life, like look at what Kurt Cobain did. That's a coward move. Blowing your brain out right after your beautiful daughter is born, leaving her to grow up without a dad.

Yes, but he was married to Courtney Love, so it's actually amazing he managed to not kill himself for so long.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
The closest I have to that is my DNR order. I've been on CPR calls before and it's not exactly something I wanna have done. I don't plan on having a heart attack at such a young age but if I'm ever in some kind of accident or something goes wrong on a call then I refuse CPR.
Quote by neidnarb11890
i am henry rollins & fuck people who kill themselves lol

It really is a complicated matter, but I somewhat agree with him. This guy had his best friend killed right in front of him. I know this doesn't entitle him to be an expert at this stuff but still.
Quote by BeefWellington
We should let people kill themselves. There are too many people on this planet anyway, might as well let a few of them off themselves to help keep the numbers down a bit.

won't make a difference in the long run, there needs to be a way to stop people reproducing, like a vaccine to make people sterile or something
Page 1 of 2