I am currently learning how to play lead guitar and I was wondering how long it would take before I can freely play solo's and lead parts along with a song.

How long did it take all of you before you could play a solo?
How long did you practice for each day?
How complex was the solo?
I think this is better suited to the techniques section, but I'll still answer your question.

Obviously, depending on the solo. I think my very first solo was RHCP's Californication, and it's a very easy solo. By then I had already developed some basic sense of technique, so it didn't take long for me to learn. 10 minutes at most? Half an hour before I could play it by heart I reckon, but this was well over 10 years ago now.

But again, learning to play a lead part completely depends on a) the difficulty of the part b) your ability, and c) your willingness to practice it. There's no 'set period' of time before you are fully able to instantly play any solo you see or hear. Unfortunately, as dull as it may seem, for some difficult leads you will have to be able to sit there and play the same 4 bars repeatedly for hours on end, and then move on to the next 4 bars.
I own an Ibanez J-Custom

I am Guitarnoob_100. Say hey

PSN: Whiski_Guy
Xbox Live: Chris2194

Steam: Galiathslay
maybe after one year, i started thinking i was able to play solos of moderate difficulty. it took several more years to actually be able to get them to sound decent, and even now at eight years i still find that when i go back and play some simple things, i'm able to play them better than i used to.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
I have been playing Rhythm guitar for about a year now and I started playing lead a few weeks ago.
Currently I can play lead parts from slow tempo songs with little to no articulation if I listen to the song and practice it for about an hour but I want to be able to play pieces like Eruption by Van Halen.
With the slow tempo songs I can see myself being able to play them with a better sound and with more articulation added if I keep practicing them, however I am stuck with what I should be practicing in order to fast paced solos like Eruption.
Quote by ls2014
I have been playing Rhythm guitar for about a year now and I started playing lead a few weeks ago.
Currently I can play lead parts from slow tempo songs with little to no articulation if I listen to the song and practice it for about an hour but I want to be able to play pieces like Eruption by Van Halen.
With the slow tempo songs I can see myself being able to play them with a better sound and with more articulation added if I keep practicing them, however I am stuck with what I should be practicing in order to fast paced solos like Eruption.

You gotta learn to crawl before you can run.

Take your time and practice, enjoy playing guitar and you'll get better.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I think my first solo I properly learned was Hand of Blood by Bullet for my valentine back in the day, I had only been playing guitar for around 7 months or so so I was downpicking everything It taught me that I needed to alternate pick and I ended playing it live a few times about a month after learning it.
Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
How do you prepare tea?

Quote by theogonia777
thrown into the boston harbor

Quote by Crofty89
Only if you boil the ocean first

JUST BOUGHT SIKTH DEATH OF A DEAD DAY ALBUM FROM THE US AND IT CAME WITH THE 6 YEAR OLD SIGNED POSTER (30/4/12) WIN
Quote by ProgFripp74
I think my first solo I properly learned was Hand of Blood by Bullet for my valentine back in the day, I had only been playing guitar for around 7 months or so so I was downpicking everything It taught me that I needed to alternate pick and I ended playing it live a few times about a month after learning it.

How well did you manage to play it? Did it sound clean or was is quite messy the 1st time?
Quote by ls2014
How well did you manage to play it? Did it sound clean or was is quite messy the 1st time?

Untill you get the fundamentals down, it will sound bad. Like I said keep practicing. Everyone learns at a different rate.

Practice,Practice,Practice

There is no substitute and it will take a while, so be patient.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate