I have just been thinking about limited and Anniversary gear.

Is this stuff really worth the extra cost? Does anyone own anything limited and happy with it, guitars, amps etc...?

I think there is a lot of hate for limited runs as recently companies seem to use it as a marketing ploy to rip their customers off, and as they now make a limited run every year, 'collectable' is no longer a selling point if you ask me.

Personally the only 1 limited thing I have is a Fender Select Stratocaster, it was limited to 300 pieces world wide (which I didn't know at the time) and was the same price as other select unlimited models, it was an impulse buy, but has turned out to be the best guitar I have ever laid my hands on and certainly my favorite guitar to date.
Ibanez Prestige RG-3550Z
Fender Strat Select HSS
Gibson LP Traditional Pro
Gibson ES-335
Gibson LP Studio
Ibanez AEL20E

Line6/Bogner Spider Valve 112
I have some limited edition (non-luthier) guitars. Some of them have unique specs, some don't, and I regret none of them.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Aug 22, 2014,
I don't care about stuff that's 'limited' or whatever. if it sounds good, feels good and is well built then yeah I might buy it. the only things I have close to being limited are a couple things that are old and discontinued.
It's a fun concept, but with so many 'limited editions' around it's been pretty diluted. I'm quite sure that Fender has a 'limited edition of the month club' marketing group somewhere...

I did recently acquire a 2004 50th Anniversary Fender Deluxe strat, but that's because it was a birthday gift for my 50th birthday, not because of any inherent 'extra' value. (Alas it's sitting in my closet because I'm not allowed to actually 'have' it until my birthday in another month... ).

I used to have a 50th anniversary Chevrolet Impala. It was nothing special.

Many years ago I had a 1953 50th anniversary Ford F100 pickup, wish I still had it!
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Last edited by Arby911 at Aug 22, 2014,
I have a fender fsr tele. It's a standard tele with butterscotch finish, ash body, 3 saddle bridge, and reversed control plate. It was the same price as the other Mexican Teles, but I liked the finish and how it felt so I went for it. The limited part was of no real concern to me. Just wanted a good solid guitar.
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by HVTubeMaker

Is this stuff really worth the extra cost?

Which stuff? There's a huge range of anniversary/special run gear out there, you can't lump it all into "worth" or "not worth."

Does anyone own anything limited and happy with it, guitars, amps etc...?

Yes.
I think there is a lot of hate for limited runs

I don't think there is. I think maybe you ran across one or two people who didn't like a piece or two of gear and spend too much time complaining on the internet. That's not "a lot of hate." I spend entirely too much time on the forums and I really haven't seen any appreciable bias for or against those models. I think people mostly realize what they are.
as recently companies seem to use it as a marketing ploy to rip their customers off, and as they now make a limited run every year, 'collectable' is no longer a selling point if you ask me.

But then you went out and bought....
Personally the only 1 limited thing I have is a Fender Select Stratocaster, it was limited to 300 pieces world wide (which I didn't know at the time) and was the same price as other select unlimited models, it was an impulse buy, but has turned out to be the best guitar I have ever laid my hands on and certainly my favorite guitar to date.
...so clearly the marketing works, or at least makes you feel like you got something special at no real extra cost to Fender. Do you feel ripped off?

I think it's whatever, lots of people like having guitar #35 of 200 because it seems more special than Serial #94055691 even though companies do FSR runs like people change their socks. Nothing wrong with that, but I don't think there's a lot of hate out there and I don't think it matters that much. You get a guitar that's a different color or has a fun top, you get to feel special, Fender gets to stay in business making strats, everybody's happy. Lumping the whole range of anniversary gear into one monolithic "marketing ploy, except I have one and I like it" group seems pointless to me.

Most of the Fender LE and FSR stuff doesn't actually cost anything extra anyway. They do a special color on the MIM or they slap a 50th anniversary badge on or something and it's the same price as the standard model of the same guitar.
One last thing, I recently had in my possession the actual prototype of one of the finest fuzz pedals on the planet, but I had to send it on...
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
(a) It's a fun concept, but with so many 'limited editions' around it's been pretty diluted. I'm quite sure that Fender has a 'limited edition of the month club' marketing group somewhere...

(b) I did recently acquire a 2004 50th Anniversary Fender Deluxe strat, but that's because it was a birthday gift for my 50th birthday, not because of any inherent 'extra' value. (Alas it's sitting in my closet because I'm not allowed to actually 'have' it until my birthday in another month... ).

(a) Yeah I think that's the problem. If you like the instrument, get it, but just because the person selling it to you says it's rare and it's investment-grade, doesn't necessarily mean it is. If there were any sure-thing investments we'd all be investing in them.

(b) LOL
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I think it comes down to if YOU think its worth it or not. 100.00 could be a lot for some, others its toilet paper. So, IMO it depends.
Just another Sheep in the design of the Almighty Machine.

-GEAR-
Gibson 60s Les Paul Tribute (Sunburst)
1999 Ibanez RG470 (TitaniumIce-MIJ)
Jackson RR3 (Trans-Red)
Peavey 6505+
Podx3