(I think there may be another thread like this somewhere, maybe not on this page, but I couldnt find with 4 or 5 search words, so I am sorry if I reposted.)

So this isnt exactly music thread, but more like a musician-clothes -thread. Dont get me wrong, I aint no clothes expert, follow the style, nor do I want to. But I have a simple question, that maybe some of you may want a answer to too.

Ive been thinking recently:
There are many cultures in the world, and each culture has theyre clothing styles. I myself am a huge fan of the wild west / western culture, been ever since I could watch the Clint Eastwood movies (even though they arent exactly realistic), many years ago. I even love the Johnny Cash and Ennio Morricone music and anything western sounding and even some country and alot of Rockabilly, and play a lot of that kind of music.
Now to the point: I dont live anywhere near a desert (Live in Finland), or any farms, I live very close to a city, even tho it aint a big one. So shortened: I am not a cowboy. Now here is the question, would it be approriate to add boots and a cowboy hat to my already trusty flannel shirt and jeans -musician/every-day costume? I dont want to offend any real people in the west.

Any opinions? There probably isnt a clear 'yes' or 'no' answer.

Sorry for the really unnecessarily long post, when I could have compressed that into a few lines. My problem :P
I like chaps personally. I like my boys to air out while I'm shredding and doing leg kicks but that's just me.

To your question: people dress like that all over. Mainly country folks. I dont think anybody would care.
Jimmy cracked corn and I did care.
Last edited by CamelToeJoe at Aug 22, 2014,
Ya you wont offend any one. I live in Boston Massachusetts and people up here do the cowboy look sometimes if they're into that. Nobody says "Hey your not a real cowboy!!" Country music and style has really become pop music here and lots of people like the look.
I live in "cowboy country" and honestly it doesn't really matter. As long as you don't have on bejeweled stuff it is fine. I hate it when rich people wear try to dress "cowboy" but just ends up gaudy, but normal western is fine.
"Being honest may not get you a lot of friends, but it'll always get you the right ones."
Last edited by songbird64 at Aug 22, 2014,
Quote by LegendaryBear
would it be approriate to add boots and a cowboy hat to my already trusty flannel shirt and jeans -musician/every-day costume?

It is never appropriate to wear a cowboy hat in any situation ever regardless of wear you are from (unless you are actually a real cowboy), and cowboy boots are only ever acceptable when used for their functionality (like if you ride a horse or play pedal steel guitar).

So even if you were born and raised in Texas, it still would not be acceptable.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by LegendaryBear
I dont want to offend any real people in the west.

So you don't care about offending the imaginary people?

But really,

It's a good job you asked whether or not it's okay to dress like that without offending people because this one time, I decided to start dressing up like a Ninja and it really ticked off the Muslim community, especially when I started walking with groups of them whilst throwing smoke bombs and shuriken.
When I was eleven I broke the patio window and my mother sued me... She's always been a very aggressive litigator.
Quote by SISO
Take a look to The Bluestation, they are from Finland too and they play with rebel flags and cowboy hats and whatnot. I gues it's ok for you too.

That's actually stupid as hell. Not only can those guys not claim that they're Southern; they also don't understand anything about the Southern mindset besides what they've seen on TV.
Ive never seen anyone dress up in a full cowboy get up but id probably make me lol. We have a popular country bar here but it mostly just a bunch of woo girls wearing hats and showing as much of their bust as possible
Quote by Night
wtf is a selfie? is that like, touching yourself or something?
If you want to wear it then wear it. I saw two guys walking through a rough side of my town the other day wearing MA-1 flight jackets, bleach stained jeans and Dr. Martens. I haven't seen proper skinheads in years. The average knock-off North Face and fake Air Max 95, so called 'hard kids' gave them a very wide berth.
RPD - Finger Pickin' Good
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
That's actually stupid as hell. Not only can those guys not claim that they're Southern; they also don't understand anything about the Southern mindset besides what they've seen on TV.

You can see US people dressed up like knights and mistresses in medieval fairs. Almost the same.

I understand afreamerican people might feel disturbed by the rebel flag, but other than that who cares? If that stuff makes them happy...
Quote by SISO
You can see US people dressed up like knights and mistresses in medieval fairs. Almost the same.

I understand afreamerican people might feel disturbed by the rebel flag, but other than that who cares? If that stuff makes them happy...

Don't you think that the USA, as the self proclaimed bastion of freedom and democracy, should have allowed the Southern States to secede from the Union?
RPD - Finger Pickin' Good
Quote by SISO

No, it's not.

The rebel flag isn't about racism or anything like that. It's about "Southern Pride". Nothing something I espouse (because I'm not Southern), but a lot of people in the South like the idea.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Quote:
Originally Posted by SISO

No, it's not.

I'm not gonna start an argument about this because it's bypassing the topic but that's your opinion. don't tell it as a fact.

Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Quote:

The rebel flag isn't about racism or anything like that. It's about "Southern Pride". Nothing something I espouse (because I'm not Southern), but a lot of people in the South like the idea.

And, are you telling me that the rebel flag do not disturb afroamerican people? really? It doesn't matter if it's about southern pride, slavery or just that it looks cool.
Quote by SISO
And, are you telling me that the rebel flag do not disturb afroamerican people? really? It doesn't matter if it's about southern pride, slavery or just that it looks cool.

I'm telling you that, while there are racists who hide under the banner of the Rebel Flag, that is NOT what displaying the Rebel Flag is about. Anyone who is disturbed by it needs to realize what it means asap, whether they are black, white, purple, or tye-dye colored.

See...this is why a band that isn't Southern shouldn't display the Rebel Flag. You yourself don't seem to understand it, as a non-American. I'm fairly certain that the band you brought up is similar in how they (don't) understand it.
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Aug 22, 2014,
So it turned into a southern flag thread :P

Well no matter, the opinions seem to differ so much that you cant get a clear answer.
About the flag, I have nothing to say really. On the other hand south had slavery, we finns arent from south (I should change my name to Sherlock Holmes) and we dont have a similiar culture, and on the other one, they probably like the western flag and/or western states.

Maybe it is kinda the same question, maybe not. I never was the clever one. They arent from this culture, yet they like to wave and show theyre flag. Not really cool in my opinion, but does the same go for clothes between cultures?
Yeah I live where a lot of people might go for a cowboy look, the middle of nowhere.

I don't find it appealing, but no one should get offended by it, unless it's assholes, but they'd pick on anything if they felt like it.
The only reason for that style is you romanticize the era of the wild west and/or find it appealing to you. Or you're a country music star.

Zack wylde came out at a concert I went to with an indian headdress, and that had a lot more potential to be found offensive.
Last edited by stratkat at Aug 23, 2014,
The more pot leaves and rasta colors on your clothing the more everyone will respect you.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
dude no one will find cowboy clothes offensive. NO ONE. Trust me. It's just clothes, it has no historical past that people are sensitive about. I'm being serious. The only reason you have not to wear them is people might think you look silly if you are not in a place with ranches and stuff but if you're on stage playing country music it would make more sense.
Hey everyone. I'm doing a university project about what people see in fashion, and what the public REALLY want from the clothes they buy. What matters the most? Price? Quality? Where the money goes? This is NOT an advertisement for a business, it's research for an academic research project. I've only drawn up some designs under a pseudo-brand name in order to get the best answers out of people. Could people please participate in my survey, which is ANONYMOUS, but will be used as part of my research for my dissertation essay.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/3S8HW2Q

Thank you!
If you want to dress up like a cowboy you have to move to Calgary or pretend you are from Calgary (Texas doesn't count because people will just think you are a racist). Hopefully I am not too late.
Well I mean if you're going to worry about cultural appropriation I'd be more worried about the Mexican side of the clothing, or things like dreadlocks.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Ripped t-shirts and dirty jeans covers about 6 or 7 genres

they're all the same genre tho realistically
As long as you don't start chewing tobacco and missing the spittoon, or only ever going to the bar and asking for "2 fingers o' gulpin' whiskey, ma'am", it's probably fine.