I was looking on buying a new guitar, and wasn't sure which would be a better guitar to get, considering I found them for about the same price. (Or should I get a different guitar with a similar body type for around $500)
Get an Ibanez Destroyer.

Dean's aren't known for quality and I would personally never buy anything made by Gibson after 2000. The quality control is awful and getting a good guitar is about a 60/40 shot. Only a little more often than not you will get a good one.

EDIT: Actually, if you are playing both in store and you like the Thunderhorse and it seems like a good quality (Flawless, basically), get that one. If you are buying online, I wouldn't trust UPS/FedEx not to snap that fragile hockey stick of a headstock.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Last edited by TheStig1214 at Aug 22, 2014,
The Epiphone Thunderhorse, out of those two. It's looks alone are a huge selling point. It's also got some pretty nice features that are somewhat unique to Explorers.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Quote by TheStig1214
Get an Ibanez Destroyer.

Dean's aren't known for quality and I would personally never buy anything made by Gibson after 2000. The quality control is awful and getting a good guitar is about a 60/40 shot. Only a little more often than not you will get a good one.

I'm not sure where this guy is getting his info from. That 60/40 ratio is obviously a number concocted by someone who doesn't own genuine Gibson guitars(or has been duped by the many fakes out there). I own two post-2000 Gibsons with PLEK'd Ebony fretboards, and they are flawless with better necks and playability than my other guitars, some of which I have owned for 25+ years. Vintage 80s Japanese Charvels and Jacksons.

I own a Gibson Thunderhorse Explorer (and Les Paul Studio). My local guitar Center recently had an Epiphone Thunderhorse Explorer on the floor. It looked to be very good quality. It has Gibson Burstbucker 1 & 2 pickups(with push-pull coil splitting) just like it's Gibson counterpart. These pickups are phenomenal in my opinion. Medium output and very touch sensitive.

I guess it really comes down to personal opinion, but cheap (<$1,000) Ibanez guitars always felt like little toys to me. A good quality Epiphone, like the Thunderhorse, should run circles around that little driftwood Ibanez.

Of course the ultimate deciding factor is to play them both and decide for yourself.
Good luck in your choice! Keep us updated as to which you choose.
Quote by TheGroundZero
I'm not sure where this guy is getting his info from. That 60/40 ratio is obviously a number concocted by someone who doesn't own genuine Gibson guitars(or has been duped by the many fakes out there). I own two post-2000 Gibsons with PLEK'd Ebony fretboards, and they are flawless with better necks and playability than my other guitars, some of which I have owned for 25+ years. Vintage 80s Japanese Charvels and Jacksons.

I own a Gibson Thunderhorse Explorer (and Les Paul Studio). My local guitar Center recently had an Epiphone Thunderhorse Explorer on the floor. It looked to be very good quality. It has Gibson Burstbucker 1 & 2 pickups(with push-pull coil splitting) just like it's Gibson counterpart. These pickups are phenomenal in my opinion. Medium output and very touch sensitive.

I guess it really comes down to personal opinion, but cheap (<$1,000) Ibanez guitars always felt like little toys to me. A good quality Epiphone, like the Thunderhorse, should run circles around that little driftwood Ibanez.

Of course the ultimate deciding factor is to play them both and decide for yourself.
Good luck in your choice! Keep us updated as to which you choose.

I don't know where you get off assuming I'm an idiot who likes shitty guitars. I have played a fair share of pretty good Gibsons, but I have also seen, played and heard of just as many really crappy Gibsons/Epiphones with finish, set up, intonation and hardware issues too many times to count. I have never purchased a Gibson or Epiphone in my life because of this. I like my Ibanezes. Affordable, good quality and very consistent with QC. To each his own. I have heard that some don't like the feel of some Ibbys, and I get that. But they certainly aren't driftwood or garbage knockoff guitars.
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Quote by TheStig1214
I don't know where you get off assuming I'm an idiot who likes shitty guitars. I have played a fair share of pretty good Gibsons, but I have also seen, played and heard of just as many really crappy Gibsons/Epiphones with finish, set up, intonation and hardware issues too many times to count. I have never purchased a Gibson or Epiphone in my life because of this.
All that matters is that the particular Gibson/Epiphone you're holding is a good one. And that is made possible by the fact that plenty of Gibsons/Epiphones are in most decent guitar stores. For that reason, I don't see their spotty QC being that compelling of a reason to hate them. It only becomes a problem if you can't try the guitar before buying it, and in a lot of cases with Gibson/Epiphone, that isn't a problem.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
All that matters is that the particular Gibson/Epiphone you're holding is a good one. And that is made possible by the fact that plenty of Gibsons/Epiphones are in most decent guitar stores. For that reason, I don't see their spotty QC being that compelling of a reason to hate them. It only becomes a problem if you can't try the guitar before buying it, and in a lot of cases with Gibson/Epiphone, that isn't a problem.

Hence the edit to my first post. Everyone seems to have missed it lol. I've played a few Epis and Gibsons I would have taken home if I had the space and money (all used though). I don't hate Gibson, I just know you have to be very careful that the one you want to buy is flawless. Even then there might be a hardware issue.

My buddy got an SG new for about $800 about 5-6 years ago. It had major tuning issues. He's replaced the tuning machines, nut, and had the neck checked out by a repair shop to make sure it's set properly. Only recently when he replaced the saddles on the TOM did it get better
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Quote by TheStig1214
....[ ]....My buddy got an SG new for about $800 about 5-6 years ago. It had major tuning issues. He's replaced the tuning machines, nut, and had the neck checked out by a repair shop to make sure it's set properly. Only recently when he replaced the saddles on the TOM did it get better
All this tells me is the guitar has been improperly diagnosed until now.
Quote by Captaincranky
All this tells me is the guitar has been improperly diagnosed until now.

Obviously. The nut and tuner replacements helped a little with the problem, but the saddles made the most difference. Still isn't 100% resolved. My point is if you're dropping $800 on a guitar, it better stay in tune. And every other $800 guitar in that line better stay in tune. Not just 50% or 75% or whatever Gibson's QC margin of error is.
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Quote by TheStig1214
I don't know where you get off assuming I'm an idiot who likes shitty guitars. I have played a fair share of pretty good Gibsons, but I have also seen, played and heard of just as many really crappy Gibsons/Epiphones with finish, set up, intonation and hardware issues too many times to count. I have never purchased a Gibson or Epiphone in my life because of this. I like my Ibanezes. Affordable, good quality and very consistent with QC. To each his own. I have heard that some don't like the feel of some Ibbys, and I get that. But they certainly aren't driftwood or garbage knockoff guitars.

Didn't really mean to offend you. The driftwood was more of a weight comment than quality. I've always preferred a guitar with some mass to it.

Also, debates like this are the very reason there are 500 different guitar manufacturers. If we all loved exactly the same thing we would only need one guitar maker. To each his own. What really matters is that YOU are happy with YOUR guitar.