I am interested in Dean guitars but there are none available in my area to try. Can anyone give me some insight into the quality Dean produces. I've researched it and seem to find very mixed results and none of the forums about the subject are to recent.

My bench mark for quality is my LTD EC1000 Deluxe made in Korea. I am very pleased with it.

My main interest in Dean is the Custom 450FM. If anyone owns on and can give me insight that would be awesome!

Specifically, how is the neck? Not thick and bulky? How about the fretwork and tuning stability? Last, it says tune-o-matic bridge but I assume its a knock off because it isn't listed as a TonePros bridge. How is the quality on that?
Not many people own those guitars, so it's very difficult to know from experience. Not a single guitar store near me has them either.

The fretwork is most likely going to vary from guitar to guitar. As for the bridge, if anything, any TOM bridge that is not the ABR1 Gibson TOM is arguably a knockoff, so that would include your tonpros one too.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
I don't own one of those. But I own two (Korean) Deans and I really, really like them.
But that's just my experience with them. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
The build quality of the Custom 450FM should be comperable in quality to other Korean-made axes of a similar price.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
I have a Dean 79 series Z (explorer), great build quality and I love it
1979 Granada Les Paul
1983 Lado Flying V
2006 Fender Stratocaster
2007 Tenson Classical
2008 Epiphone Les Paul
2008 Yamaha Pacifica
2010 Gibson Les Paul Studio
2011 Dean Z 79 Series
2011 Ibanez 12 String Acoustic
2012 Messina Classical
I own a ml79 w/ the floyd rose. I also own an LTD Deluxe H1001-qm.

Compared to the ESP, the ML is about equal in terms of playability, to me atleast. I also upgraded to a B&B l500XL and an SD '59 neck for the ML, stock EMG's in the ESP. The ESP feels just a small bit smoother and faster, and it is a bit comfortable to hold than the ML, but there is also way less time on the ESP, and I rarely ever clean the ML.

The Dean by no means feels cheap or crappy.

I don't have any experience with the 450fm, but deans are not as bad as everyone says. I thoroughly enjoy playing my ML, and often use it more than my ESP or Gibson SG.
The bad rep Dean has largely comes from their sub-$500 models, many of which are inexcusably bad compared to the LTD, BC Rich, Shecter, Fernandes, Ibanez, etc. guitars that are targeted at the same hard rock/metal market.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
I have a Czech-made Dean V and a Korean Cadillac and love them both. To my hands, the necks are about in the middle with regard to thickness (my Epi LP is at one end and my Ibanez GAX 70 is at the other). I find the Deans very comfortable to play and am still on the lookout for a good Z.