Alright so I have an Epiphone LP Custom Pro, and wanted take out one of the knobs to make a killswitch. No drilling.

The problem is, 3 of the knobs you can pull to make a different sound (I think it is called coil tapping), only the treble tone doesn't have one and I really dont want to take the treble tone out as i use it alot.

So is there any way I can take out, say one of the volumes and then make a master volume? While still keeping the coil tap feature?

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Last edited by darunae at Aug 23, 2014,
if your not switching pickups mid-song, turn your neck pickup volume all the way down. Then use the 3 way toggle as a kill switch. It works the other way also.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I've been doing that but it isn't as effective. Also i'm scared of wearing it down or breaking it from the super aggressive switching
A bit of a fankle in wiring, but why not use the volume controls to select pickups, and put the killswitch in place of the pickup selector switch?
Quote by slapsymcdougal
A bit of a fankle in wiring, but why not use the volume controls to select pickups, and put the killswitch in place of the pickup selector switch?

If you put one of the volumes to 0 then it all goes to 0 if the pickup selector is set to use both pickups.

New question: I've been thinking alot, and what if I take out the bridge tone knob because it doesnt have the push/pull feature, and then make the neck tone knob a master tone knob instead. Is that possible?
Quote by darunae
If you put one of the volumes to 0 then it all goes to 0 if the pickup selector is set to use both pickups.

New question: I've been thinking alot, and what if I take out the bridge tone knob because it doesnt have the push/pull feature, and then make the neck tone knob a master tone knob instead. Is that possible?

Yes you could put the kill switch on the pot that doesn't have one. But does it matter if the middle position is also an off, you wouldn't be using it anyway? Or you can also make it work by rewiring the volume pots so that the pickups go to wipers and the output from the hot lug. I have this on one guitar and like it a lot. The tone controls behave a little differently, but it means that in the middle switch position you can blend the two pickups in any proportion you want. In the context of your question, that means that you can have the volume off on one pickup, and the other will still work normally in the middle switch position.
It's possible to have separate volumes and no selector switch. My Hofner does this. Jusy wire the pickups to the middle lugs of their respective volume pots rather than to the outer lug. This keeps each pot from affecting both pickups.

Just change things around so that you have a master volume, master tone and a Blend knob. Use the remaining hole for your kill switch. I actually wanted to move the master volume closer to the bridge/bridge pickup. Since I have a Sustainer in the guitar, I now have a Master Volume, master tone, sustainer intensity pot and a Chandler Tone-X (push-pull) sweepable frequency mids boost (about 16 dB)...and a kill switch (the black button in the old neck position tone spot).

I've never been a fan of blend knobs. In the middle position, each pickup is only at half volume (unless you're referring to a real dual-gang pot made especially for blending applications, which is not he same as a normal dual-gang pot).
Quote by Invader Jim
I've never been a fan of blend knobs. In the middle position, each pickup is only at half volume (unless you're referring to a real dual-gang pot made especially for blending applications, which is not he same as a normal dual-gang pot).

Hmm. I'm not doing the pot selection for the Blends -- the volume doesn't change as the pot reaches the center position, but I'm not really hearing a difference in the sound of the same pickups in another guitar in the middle position (both of which are dimed).

I have several guitars with active preamps (and a blend knob) as well, and I'm not seeing/hearing a problem there, either.

BTW, the guitar in the post above doesn't have a blend knob, nor does it have the phase switch.
Last edited by dspellman at Aug 25, 2014,
Not sure if this is helpful or not, but if I were you I'd wire up a separate killswitch footpedal.

No really though - a box with a momentary on/off button. Really cheap, you can use it on all your guitars, no chance of breaking your guitar, no losing possible resale value, all good.

I might be biased in this regard though as it seems like all the switches that I install into guitars stop functioning within a year, regardless of how lightly I use them. Anyway good luck!
+1 on the killswitch pedal. I totally forgot that I had built one years ago. Used it more than I thought I would. I built it into the same box that I had put a channel switch for my practice amp. Very handy.