Page 1 of 2
We've had this thread before. It affects each person differently.

Practically speaking though it is not recommended as stoned guys generally are not helpful to have as band mates.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
In my experience it makes you more creative, you can write lyrics easier imo, but practicing with a band or gigging stoned doesn't work, your timing sucks etc.
It makes my amp sound 10x better, and it's not a bad amp. Also makes my impro better because I think less.
I also think and feel like I'm adding feel to the music but really I've just got bad timing.

Edit: So it's ok if you're playing alone but a no-no when in a band (unless it's a reggae band). But really it all depends on your tolerance and how much you smoke.
Last edited by Toxc at Aug 24, 2014,
it just loosens you up, that's all. if you play badly sober, you're still gonna play badly while high and think you're good. if you play well sober and feel like something to take the edge off for something like a big performance or just wanna jam...well that's what some people do.
Just slows you down and say you do hit a stinker, it throws the rest of your performance off as the paranoia sets in fairly quickly from my own experiances. Just say no lol!!
Like anything the immediate effects are going to be more meaningful, positive or negative, if this is something you don't do all the time. For example if you are an occasional smoker and smoke, maybe, once a month you might find it does unlock some creative energy for you. Same might apply to alcohol, but neither is going to improve your technique, timing, or anything measurable in terms of musical skill.

In other words "novelty effect" of a new substance, new state of mind may have an impact, bad or good, on what you are trying to achieve.

If you happen to live somewhere this is legal, say Colorado, then cheers! Try it out. I recommend recording yourself during this experiment and then forcing yourself to listen later to evaluate (sober) what you recorded. You might have some nuggets (lol) of useful material in there, you might not.

The important thing to remember is that your actual creative process, the real work of developing as a musician, songwriting and performing will all benefit from your SOBRIETY, always.

Chronic use of marijuana or other substance will not only negatively effect your playing (driving, working, having sex, everything) it will also cause a tolerance to develop wherein any possible benefit of experimenting with music stoned will be eliminated. It simply won't be different or novel for you anymore.

If it's legal for you where you live then enjoy responsibly and partake occasionally, and hopefully you get a spark of creative juice your sober self can put to good use.
for me..it was a waste of time..and a lot of time at that..
In terms of creativity, i find it easier when coming up with riffs and ideas for lyrics when i'm stoned. But i'l generally put the finishing touches together when i'm sober, particularly for lyrics. Playing wise, i get in a zone when i'm high and everything is a lot smoother and i generally play better. 1/100 times of playing stoned i'l be clumsy for 5 minutes to begin with but then it all falls into place.
Never played a gig sober as far as i can remember so i couldn't compare that. Should add i'm a heavy smoker, pretty much daily for the past ten years so it doesn't really effect me as much as it could do with others. The best musicians i've played with have all been pot heads, but i'm not saying it's because of them getting high.
Quote by Usernames sucks
Hi! For you weed smokers out there, how do you feel this do affect your musicianship? Good or bad?

Listening and playing/practicing often will have a much greater affect on your musicianship.

That doesn't mean you can't have fun getting all baked and jamming n stuff, but if you smoke dope because you think it'll increase your musicianship, you're just being stupid.
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Aug 24, 2014,
I'm not sure why people even bother to ask questions like this. Bottom line is, it doesn't improve musicianship (and could even lower your musicianship).
there are some drugs that improved my playing.

also some that definitely did not.

i don't have much experience playing on marijuana but when i did it made me fairly sluggish.

drugs are bad; stay in school
i don't know why i feel so dry
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Weed is not my drug of choice. It was my former drummers best friend though. This is a guy with monster chops and generally a really solid meter and tempo and very articulate fills. He was also prone to emotional meltdowns when something didn't go his way. Smoking the doob would calm the savage beast in him but his drumming would get noticeably imprecise. A mixed bag.

Ha, I guess that sounds like a pun.

That said, I sure wish they would legalize, tax, and regulate the stuff. The war on drugs is a farce and if a guy chooses to be stoned on weed, he hurts no one. Free country and all...
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Oh yeah absolutely I'm all in favour of legalising it (properly- I don't just mean saying, "right, weed's legal now", I mean properly regulated like the way alcohol and tobacco are). Just personally I'm gonna stay clear whether it's legal or not.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Aug 24, 2014,
Every band or musician I had dealt with we had a mutual no drugs on stage or practice agreement. Also for learning the material drugs suck, so don't do drugs while learning your material either. The one or two beers at a practice is fine though but two is pushing it. moral of the story take your instrument seriously and you will improve to a much higher lever then smoking pot ever will take you.
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
See now we wouldnt have these useless threads if we had a drug thread

#bringitback
Quote by Nelsean
Lil B, the young based god, has the ability to create music so profound, that others around him cannot even comprehend his magnificent verbal progressive nature.

Quote by The_Blode
^ oh hey y'all females...welcome !
Quote by jimihendrix6699
See now we wouldnt have these useless threads if we had a drug thread

#bringitback

nah these pop up in mt like clockwork
Negative. With a guitar in my hand I can fixate on one note for 5 minutes. Not productive. Listening to classic rock is a different story. But the toxins are not good for the body. I don't know how Willie Nelson does it.
Music is an art, and an art can be influenced/improved by anything. Who knows? Will it improve your chops? Hell no! Your time? No. You can definitely point to musicians, though, who happened to write great music under the influence (Johnny Cash, John Lennon) and did it benefit them? Who knows?

That's the funny thing about art versus science or sports. A certain distortion of a person's playing, singing, thinking at a certain time might just help. We distort the guitar all the time! We brutalize the Hell out of it!

That's not to say going out and getting stoned will make you a legend, certainly hasn't worked for millions of stoner musicians!!

If I were a betting man, though, I'd bet on the sober musician. Dave Mustaine wrote most of "Rust In Peace" in rehab, if I recall. Who wants to go through withdrawal?!!

Made for a heck of a great record.
Quote by FrettieMercury

If I were a betting man, though, I'd bet on the sober musician. Dave Mustaine wrote most of "Rust In Peace" in rehab, if I recall. Who wants to go through withdrawal?!!

Made for a heck of a great record.

I could be wrong but I recall hearing that most of Rust in Peace was written while they were out of their minds on herion and whatever else but at the time the album was recorded and produced they were clean. So yeah imo I think you can hear it in the creative and off the wall writing on that album. To be fair everyone was clean when Countdown was written recorded etc (according to Dave's book) and that album is an absolute beast as well.

I personally think things like weed and booze can make you more creative but you need and good balance where your head is straight so you can actually get things done.
Jackson DK2
1962 Fender Esquire
PEAVEY JSX 212
PEAVEY 6505+ 112
Personally i recommend it.......LOL

Really.....most pro musicians have too much down time and some turn to drinking or hard drugs and end up dead or at the very least rehab...I know a few myself, but I have never heard of someone dying from an overdose of weed....

Sure, sober is the best but not always realistic
Quote by Guitaraddict45
Personally i recommend it.......LOL

Really.....most pro musicians have too much down time

Why can't people with down time read books or play video games or other stuff...that, you know, isn't smoking weed?

Because being sober is 100% realistic, and you shouldn't use "down time" as an excuse to justify shitty drug and alcohol related behavior/choices many pro musicians make.
^ I can't remember the last time I had an alcoholic drink. At the same time, I'm lucky enough that I just don't enjoy it, so I wouldn't judge anyone else either.

Sugar is my vice
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Depends completely on the person, i myself cant handle pot anymore.
What's the point of the thread? Are you going to start smoking pot if people say it makes you more creative or something like that? If yes, I'm sure there are better ways to become a better musician.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Smoking weed or any other drug abuse - alcohol etc. is nothing but a self image problem and then bad habits until you finally wake up later to realize you got a problem.

I have gone through Mustaines book and his reason for doing herion among all the other things he had abused.

Nothing but self image problems.
i did not become an addict because of self image problems.
Quote by MaggaraMarine
What's the point of the thread? Are you going to start smoking pot if people say it makes you more creative or something like that? If yes, I'm sure there are better ways to become a better musician.

Seems to me like potheads are always looking to justify their habit. And it's funny how often the topic comes up. Almost like pot has an effect on their memory or something.
Quote by anders.jorgense
Smoking weed or any other drug abuse - alcohol etc. is nothing but a self image problem and then bad habits until you finally wake up later to realize you got a problem.

I have gone through Mustaines book and his reason for doing herion among all the other things he had abused.

i'm not sure mustaine is the best advert for being sober either
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by anders.jorgense

false

im sexy as ****
banned
Excellent for motivation, enjoyment and creativity. Not good at all for strict routines and deadlines.

If I ever smoke one alone at home, the very first thing I do every time is plug in my guitar and jam amazingly (in my mind anyways) for hours. So I say overall it's good.
Last edited by Tempoe at Sep 3, 2014,
Quote by Tempoe
Excellent for motivation, enjoyment and creativity. Not good at all for strict routines and deadlines.

If I ever smoke one alone at home, the very first thing I do every time is plug in my guitar and jam amazingly (in my mind anyways) for hours. So I say overall it's good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBcVbV6_Vwc
Quote by slipknot5678
Hey Noah, your post is incorrect. You're supposed to say:

Drug post.

oh yeah that too
banned
Quote by anders.jorgense

No it's not. I'm not contesting that some people might smoke it because of self image problems but really, the majority of smokers I know do it for different purposes.

Everyone has their "drug" of choice, whether they realize it or not.

As for OP, it depends what I'm playing exactly. If it's a set, I like to just smoke a bit before so I get that euphoric first-hit lift. I find it helps mainly with my voice though, weirdly enough. I'm probably a bit shy about my voice, which I don't think is that great, but a hit or two allows me to just get into the music and not really care about anything or anyone else.
Last edited by JuloMU at Sep 5, 2014,
Quote by JuloMU
No it's not. I'm not contesting that some people might smoke it because of self image problems but really, the majority of smokers I know do it for different purposes.

Everyone has their "drug" of choice, whether they realize it or not.

As for OP, it depends what I'm playing exactly. If it's a set, I like to just smoke a bit before so I get that euphoric first-hit lift. I find it helps mainly with my voice though, weirdly enough. I'm probably a bit shy about my voice, which I don't think is that great, but a hit or two allows me to just get into the music and not really care about anything or anyone else.

It is.

It is a weak trait of ones person and to believe it does wonder to you in the long run is false.

If you want to be great do herion. Gar Samuelson to Mustaine.

I thought Acid where for me. Jimi Hendrix

Do I need to go on?
^
Go discuss the various "pros" of drugs on Reddit or some other forum that actually has a place for it.

As has been stated previously in this thread (and I'm going to restate for emphasis), doing drugs does NOT improve your musicianship.
Getting stoned tends to make playing the guitar a little bit harder and I wouldn't recommend doing it during band practice, guitar practice or shows.

That being said, sometimes getting a little stoned and playing guitar at home can give you some new ideas. It's not better or worse than writing music when sober in my experience, just different.
Quote by anders.jorgense
It is.

It is a weak trait of ones person and to believe it does wonder to you in the long run is false.

If you want to be great do herion. Gar Samuelson to Mustaine.

I thought Acid where for me. Jimi Hendrix

Do I need to go on?

Right well that's (like) your opinion (man), I'm not praising drugs or anything else, I'm just saying I doubt most people who do drugs do it because they have a "self-image problem".

Quote by crazysam23_Atax

Go discuss the various "pros" of drugs on Reddit or some other forum that actually has a place for it.

As has been stated previously in this thread (and I'm going to restate for emphasis), doing drugs does NOT improve your musicianship.

Except that's not a fact.

Now, I'm not even going to get into other drugs cos the OP was on about weed (because obviously there are other drugs out there that most likely do improve your musicianship).

For some people, weed will do more harm than good in terms of playing. They're not functional when high, or they're more apt to do other stuff. To others it gives them that creative spark, that confidence in playing, etc. There is no definitive law of whether it makes your playing better or worse, it's a case by case scenario.
Page 1 of 2