Page 1 of 3
What. Not cussing?
I do that to myself everyday.
In fact...
I'm starting to think.....
ALL of you should clean up your act.
Quote by snipelfritz
You lost me at "Lubricate."

I'm raw, like nature. Nature boy. Big jungle leaves are my cum rags.

Sometimes I fuck a bamboo shoot.

There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
There's an organisation that's trying to get people to curse less in the Netherlands, but it doesn't seem like they're being taken very seriously. They've even gotten to a point where they don't put the name of the organisation on their posters anymore, because their image isn't helping their cause.

I am of the opinion that people should be able to say whatever they want in whatever way they feel is right. Words only mean whatever people want them to mean. However, since communication is a two-way-street, it's important to keep in mind who you're talking to. If you know someone might get offended by a certain word, is it really that important to promote freedom of speech, even in a situation where that's completely irrelevant? In short, don't be a dick.
Quote by ultimate-slash

I am of the opinion that people should be able to say whatever they want in whatever way they feel is right. Words only mean whatever people want them to mean. However, since communication is a two-way-street, it's important to keep in mind who you're talking to. If you know someone might get offended by a certain word, is it really that important to promote freedom of speech, even in a situation where that's completely irrelevant? In short, don't be a dick.

Completely agree

I think that the freedom of speech should only be limited to people trying to incite eviolence against another person, or group of people. So someone stood on the street corner shouting "Lets all go beat up the blacks/jews/gays!!!" should be stopped. But anything else should be fair game

Offensive is taken, not given. At the end of the day its up to you if you find something offensive or not. I don't think its other people's job to make sure everything they're saying is non-offensive, but they should take care when in public and act with some common decency
Eat your pheasant
Drink your wine
Your days are numbered, bourgeois swine!
Every generation has its "We just can't say what we want anymore!" kind of person when it comes to race, sexuality, gender and so on (despite the conversation not being rooted in legislating speech).

Pro-tip: they're always the assholes.

Quote by Weaponized
"Do you feel it is right to make sure peoples feelings are not hurt?"

Are you very stupid?

lol this
Last edited by ali.guitarkid7 at Aug 24, 2014,
Quote by homeless-john
Who cares about that? I want to know when we'll get that crazy Demolition Man mind sex.

Just so long as the three shells come with instructions.

Edit: on topic, people need to learn to get over it. Words only hurt if you let them.
Last edited by slapsymcdougal at Aug 24, 2014,
I get the idea of you choose to be offended and that, but there's a difference between "**** you asshole" and "**** you nigga I should lynch you like my grandpa should've done to your grandpa years ago"
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Quote by Baby Joel
I get the idea of you choose to be offended and that, but there's a difference between "**** you asshole" and "**** you nigga I should lynch you like my grandpa should've done to your grandpa years ago"

That last one doesn't make you butthurt; there's a genuine grievance there.
Butthurt is when you're shit at your job, and you get offended by someone telling you're shit at your job.
For some reason, this thread reminds me of when all those schools were banning Blurred Lines.

I don't usually dig these free speech discussions, because I always feel like it's cut and dry, but the side that argues for censorship tend to be people that make their decisions on emotional responses and ideals than actually considering the fact that free speech one of our most powerful tools out there. At least that's how it's been in my experience.

People with a free speech government should be able to say, print, or publish whatever it is they want. However, it is up to them to accept responsibility for the responses to those ideas.

If you are offended by what is said, turn it off, or offer a reply. The government is not responsible for people's feelings in that way. You shouldn't be able to legislate which songs get banned or not, or what words people should be able to say, etc. Society has it's own laws, and people will get what's coming to them if they break them.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by slapsymcdougal
Just so long as the three shells come with instructions.

I always kind of guessed you use two of them like a clamp and the third like a scraper but it's pretty unclear.
I find it amazing that "sticks and stone can break my bones" was retired in the space of 10 years. I think we should encourage people to be nicer but there's no onus to be nicer, and we shouldn't be sheltering kids so much. Youth is when you develop thicker skin.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Every generation has its "We just can't say what we want anymore!" kind of person when it comes to race, sexuality, gender and so on (despite the conversation not being rooted in legislating speech).

Pro-tip: they're always the assholes.

1830s: Married women can own property? PC police are outta control!
1940s: Two different races can get married? Dammit, we should just say how it is.
2010s: Gays can get married? Damn libtards turning everyone into pussies!

OT: TS is a knob
██████████████████████████
████████████████████████
█████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████

LET'S GO BUCKS
Last edited by AeroRocker at Aug 24, 2014,
Quote by JustRooster
I don't usually dig these free speech discussions, because I always feel like it's cut and dry, but the side that argues for censorship tend to be people that make their decisions on emotional responses and ideals than actually considering the fact that free speech one of our most powerful tools out there.

Or just british.

I say that as both a joke and a serious observation. Depending on the country and culture, "free speech" can mean a lotta things. In the UK, that means outlawing hate speech. In Egypt, there was this beautiful bit of irony in two consecutive clauses in the MB constitution; the first guarantees every citizen's right to freedom of speech and expression, and the one immediately following that very vaguely guarantees every citizen's right to "freedom from offense". In South Korea, you can criticize the republic of korea, the government and the president, however you can't compliment the DPRK. Despite this, all these countries' constitutions guarantee their citizens freedom of speech.

I mean to say that "freedom of speech" is very a broad concept with a multitude of interpretations, and it can be overpowered by social ideals. Having said that I still abide by the US interpretation.
Quote by captainsnazz
you're a mong

So is your mum. Or at least she sounds like one with her mouth full.
People get offended way too easily

That being said I never go out of my way to offend someone, and am always mindful of saying things that could unintentionally offend someone.
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
Quote by DodgyKebab
Do you feel it is right to make sure peoples feelings are not hurt?
I don't feel it isn't not right to be making the doing of dick-being.

Those that complain about "ridiculously over protective p.c. bullshit" are infinitely more butthurt, annoying and numerous than the ones they whine about.
Quote by Weaponized
"Do you feel it is right to make sure peoples feelings are not hurt?"

Are you very stupid?

this was good

10/10 first post

shit him down right.
i don't know why i feel so dry
I think they're is massive confusion amongst society's understanding between hate speech vs regular speech, which is why this 'free speech' shit is a forever ongoing debate.

Hate speech, are words whose origins are rooted in violence, dehumanisation etc that's why you shouldn't say them, because it helps to promote a violent/discriminative narrative. Regular speech, however, can cause offense to people, but we as a society don't have to police certain types of language because there doesn't exist a cultural norm behind certain words which exacerbates trends of violence/discrimination.
Last edited by Blacknoise at Aug 24, 2014,
Quote by Blacknoise
but we as a society don't have to police certain types of language because there doesn't exist a cultural norm behind certain words which exacerbates trends of violence/discrimination.

That cultural norm is what breeds those words. I know you separated hate speech from 'regular speech', and I'm not sure what that is, but language is born out of culture, and policing shitty ideology is pretty much what society does.

Okay, just reread your post, not actually sure what you're saying in that last sentence.
Last edited by ali.guitarkid7 at Aug 24, 2014,
An asshole has every right to say their asshole things in asshole ways. They also have every right to have their asshole jaw dislocated by the angry man whose mother they just called a slut.

I'm against almost any kind of censorship. I make a point of not using certain words or phrases that are demeaning and offensive to certain groups because it's uncouth and because I don't like hurting people's feelings because I'm a ninny, but I really believe individual discretion is the limit. Laws, rules, and regulations should not be made purely for the sensibilities of a single faction. If anything, I'm happy they can say it since it tells me they're an asshole to avoid.

What I would be in favor of is education about why this term or that term is offensive to this person and that person. Education creates understanding, while censorship and angry shouting only creates ignorance.

That said, there are nonverbal things that piss me off about the softening of modern society, like the whole "everybody wins and gets a trophy" stuff, or the fact that some schools ban kickball and touch football for being too violent and aggressive. That stuff is dumb.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
the tug of war between the two sides will be eternal and there will never be rest
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Quote by necrosis1193
Words.

I wholeheartedly agree.
And I'm not just saying that because I wanted to use the word 'wholeheartedly'.
A lot of people offend me, I probably offend less than I get offended though, so I feel pretty justified offending others.
If someone says something offensive to me I'm not going to get offended, because I realize that people can say what they want. It's really up to me whether I choose to take someone's words to heart or not. There are hateful people out there, there are nice people out there, and there is also a lot of miscommunication. It's stupid to get your panties in a wad because of something some stranger says.

That being said, I'm always careful to avoid offending people, because I like being nice, and I care about the effect that I may have on a more impressionable person.

At the end of the day, the way I see it, there's just no reason to be offended and no reason to purposely offend.
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
Quote by AeroRocker
1830s: Married women can own property? PC police are outta control!
1940s: Two different races can get married? Dammit, we should just say how it is.
2010s: Gays can get married? Damn libtards turning everyone into pussies!

OT: TS is a knob

Please refrain from using gendered insults. Thank you.
Check out my band Disturbed
I feel bad for people whose butts actually hurt. No one will take them seriously.
It's not about outlawing anything as far as I'm concerned, I don't even know why free speech has come up. It's just about not acting like you're above someone because you're not gay or whatever. It's just about being a decent and respectful person, it's not like you even have to sacrifice anything to do that. People who act like the rise of "PC bullshit" is the downfall of their dumb empire (which could be true in a sense) are probably not very nice and are usually not people I wanna be around
Quote by Sliide90027
But as a bigoted lemming, you have so cry an Alinslyite slur revealing you lack of reason and sense.

Quote by MusicLord16
BOB 1. ur 20 and two u like evil things and idk if u worship the devil
You guys, is this thread even allowed here? I mean we don't have ******* anymore, what the hell's next? Are we being watched right now?

Yes to #sayitlikeitis. It's just a fuking kitch en
Quote by ErikLensherr
Did you hear about the cockney Godfather?

He made them an offer they couldn't understand.
Quote by steve_muse
You guys, is this thread even allowed here? I mean we don't have ******* anymore, what the hell's next? Are we being watched right now?

Yes to #sayitlikeitis. It's just a fuking kitch en

How inconsiderate are you?
If a woman reads that word, she might feel like society is pushing her to get in there and make me a sandwich.

I'm off to make my own sandwich, because I'm not an insensitive asshole. And that's an insult that can apply to all people, no matter their race or gender. And who cares about people without assholes.

Jeez, some people...
Last edited by ultimate-slash at Aug 24, 2014,
Quote by ultimate-slash
How inconsiderate are you?
If a woman reads that word, she might feel like society is pushing her to get in there and make me a sandwich.

I'm off to make my own sandwich, because I'm not an insensitive asshole. And that's an insult that can apply to all people, no matter their race or gender. And who cares about people without assholes.

Jeez, some people...

Well at least you figured out it was sarcasm
Page 1 of 3