I recently bought an old 3/4 size superstrat that has a nice neck, with the idea of taking off its tremolo bridge and neck to apply on a full size body that I would make.

The guitar will have a single, high-output passive humbucker in the bridge, and it'll be used always in drop-C. It'll be my main guitar on one of my bands.

However, I'm really liking its smaller size and its light weight, it feels very comfortable.

But I'm worried it may look "weird" or unprofessional in some way if I use a smaller-bodied guitar. Especially considering that we have another guitar player on stage who uses a regular size guitar.

What do you think?
Should I make a full size body for the guitar, or is it fine if I keep the 3/4 size body and gig it regularly?

Thanks for the feedback.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Last edited by Linkerman at Aug 24, 2014,
Nope, my Dean's a 3/4 and they're fine!

I'd gig with it.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Providing there's nothing wrong with the scaling of the frets (correct term? I don't even care) I can't imagine it would be a problem.

Anyway, as long as it feels good, and sounds good, then what's unprofessional about it?
Cam Sampbell's my hero
If it sounds good, looks good and intonates: sure.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
I've used my daughters mini-strat once at a gig. It sounded good, but because of the size of my hands playing anything over the 12th fret was like being at the 19/20th on my regular guitar.

Several people did walk up to me and said the guitar made me look huge like Fletcher
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
My first electric was a 61 Fender Duo Sonic with 22.5" scale and small body. I gigged with it for 2 years but it was not much of a player. Neither was I though. I think if you have small hands it could work.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Quote by Linkerman

But I'm worried it may look "weird" or unprofessional in some way if I use a smaller-bodied guitar. Especially considering that we have another guitar player on stage who uses a regular size guitar.:

I've gigged with one of these before:

It's a surprising guitar, in that it's actually got fan frets accurately placed due to differing scales.

I'm not sure what "professional" means to you, but it's rarely meant being a sheep and following the herd (except when I played piano for Woody Herman's Thundering Herd <G>. Have fun, play what you like, especially if it makes your crotch look huge.
Quote by Lil Macker
Providing there's nothing wrong with the scaling of the frets (correct term? I don't even care) I can't imagine it would be a problem.

Anyway, as long as it feels good, and sounds good, then what's unprofessional about it?

I dunno, I thought it could look weird if my guitar is smaller than the guitar of the other player on stage.

Quote by Robbgnarly
I've used my daughters mini-strat once at a gig. It sounded good, but because of the size of my hands playing anything over the 12th fret was like being at the 19/20th on my regular guitar.

Several people did walk up to me and said the guitar made me look huge like Fletcher
(Invalid img)

Quote by Cajundaddy
My first electric was a 61 Fender Duo Sonic with 22.5" scale and small body. I gigged with it for 2 years but it was not much of a player. Neither was I though. I think if you have small hands it could work.

This isn't an issue, since the neck has a regular size.

Tomorrow I'll give it a proper setup, but I think it'll intonate properly. It feels good to play, and as I mentioned previously, the light weight makes it really comfortable.

Since the unanimous opinion is that it's fine to gig with it, I'll probably keep the smaller body. Thank you, guys.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112