Example a person doesnt learn chord progressions but learns just power chords and thats all it and basicly doesnt follow any begginer course but keeps learning what he wants instead what is "suggested" at beggining stages. What you guys think?
I always advocate learning what you want. Although it is worth mentioning that if your goal is to be a classical musician, jazz musician, rock musician etc, you have to know certain stuff.

If the music you want to play only contain power chords and you don´t aim on playing anything else (doing session work, teaching etc etc) and only aim on playing by yourself or play that style of music with others, then it is fine. However, if you want to get session work, teach etc, you have to know more than that. For some playing is a hobby, for some it is a profession. If it is a hobby for you, then you can do whatever you like, if you want to cut it professionally, you have to know certain things.

To be fair though, for some people "playing what you have to" and "what you want" is the same thing. For me, for example, i have to know certain stuff to get session work. Luckily for me, i love all styles of music and love learning everything, so it doesn´t affect me.
Fusion and jazz musician, a fan of most music.

Quote by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
Quote by matiss.gutans
Example a person doesnt learn chord progressions but learns just power chords and thats all it and basicly doesnt follow any begginer course but keeps learning what he wants instead what is "suggested" at beggining stages. What you guys think?

I think u just described how most guitarists start off. Most people just wanna have some fun or see if they can learn ANYTHING etc. I dont think most beginners look at it like school or a job.

A lot of people quit because an instructor makes them learn something they have no interest in learning.

You'll know yourself when its time to learn harder stuff etc. Or, the flip side of the coin, some people play for years and never progress past beginner because they dont force themselves to learn harder stuff etc. for instance a guy learns power chords and he rocks out with that for a while. Then he runs across a song that needs bar chords. So he tries bar chords and they are hard. He tries them a few times but eventually just gives up and sticks to the power chords. In that respect he will always sound like a beginner

Same for "theory." Some people look at a few theory websites and it seems hard to understand so they dont try anymore. In that respect they will always be in the dark

or vibrato...maybe they try it a few times but cant get it so they give up. They will always sound like a beginner

So if you want to keep progressing you will have to keep gradually learning new stuff and getting more stuff under your fingers.

Personally though I wouldnt make it into some big guilt trip deal. Life is hard enough without turning a hobby into the Bataan death march (google it)
If you ask me there's almost always a cross over between what someone wants to learn and what they need to learn anyway, if not now then at some point relatively shortly down the line. Like, the number of musicians, hobbyists or not, who can get by with absolutely no knowledge of things like open chords and basic scales is almost zero.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I would say for the most part learn what you want to play but don't disregard learning some music theory and understand what your playing and why .
I am a Metal guitarist at heart. I didn't start learning any kind of music theory, scales or chords until my 3th year of playing. Before that, I played power chords and single note stuff. I could play really ****ing fast, and really tight, but I didn't really have a clue what I was doing.

Looking back now, I consider those 3 first years to be a total waste of time. Trust me, you DON'T want to limit yourself to only knowing power chords, if you ever intend to play anything else than Metallica in your bedroom.
Quote by Thrasherx00
I am a Metal guitarist at heart. I didn't start learning any kind of music theory, scales or chords until my 3th year of playing. Before that, I played power chords and single note stuff. I could play really ****ing fast, and really tight, but I didn't really have a clue what I was doing.

Looking back now, I consider those 3 first years to be a total waste of time. Trust me, you DON'T want to limit yourself to only knowing power chords, if you ever intend to play anything else than Metallica in your bedroom.

Thing is, even if you only intend to play Metallica... you still need that basic chord knowledge. There are so many of their songs that include that kind of material. Literally the only kind of music I can think of that doesn't need those basic skills is really old-school punk.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.