Page 1 of 2
Really looking to get a nice humbucker guitar but have heard the quality of Epiphone is crap. Does anyone have one and what are your opinions/suggestions on them? Really cant afford 1500-2000 on a used Gibson Les Paul. Thanks
As long as it's a Standard or better, Epiphones are really good guitars for the money.

You need to try out Epiphones before you buy them. But that is rarely an issue since almost all guitar stores have Epiphones in stock anyway.

I can't comment on much else because your question is rather meaningless. Guitars should be judged on an individual basis, not on a sweeping generalization. And that is especially true with Epiphones. Guitars are not like computers where what you see on the surface is what you get, so you cannot treat them the same way.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Aug 24, 2014,
I've got a €650 ($860) epi LP custom that plays and sounds very good. It's got EMGs though so I don't know about the passive pickups put in them.
They do put on a thick coat of poly though, they seem to love that stuff.

If you can always try the guitar for a while before you buy it. Play it unplugged and amped if possible.
I have an epi standard(2002). It's a good guitar; though I did have to change the wiring a few years back.
I made a bit of an arse of it, and had to get new pots and stuff, because I suck at soldering

But yeah, try before you buy, and don't cheap out - Standard at minimum.

Also, don't overlook other brands. Definitely look at PRS SE singlecuts, and there are probably other brands I'm less familiar with that are worth checking out.
Quote by Toxc

They do put on a thick coat of poly though, they seem to love that stuff.

As is the case with almost any other guitar that isn't a Gibson these days...
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Quote by strat-O-matic92
Really looking to get a nice humbucker guitar but have heard the quality of Epiphone is crap. Does anyone have one and what are your opinions/suggestions on them? Really cant afford 1500-2000 on a used Gibson Les Paul. Thanks

Quote by strat-O-matic92

As others have said, don't paint with too broad a brush. Epiphones vary in quality, but there are pros using them onstage- Trustworth Samende, Gary Clark, Jr., "Captain" Kirk Douglas, to name a few. They're definitely worth considering.

Still, I understand. There are a lot of alternatives on the market for affordable, well-made, good sounding singlecut HH guitars- not necessarily true clones- right now. Take a look at the following brands:

Agile
DBZ
Dean*
Dean Zelinsky Private Label
Electra*
ESP/LTD
Fernandes*
Godin
Hagstrom
Malden*
PRS
Reverend*

* I own singlecut guitars from these brands
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Epiphones are crap... COMPARED to Gibson. For guitars under $600 though, they're not bad. They serve as great slates for upgrading.

Play some in the store and see if they're comfy to your hands.

Also, is a used Les Paul Studio completely out of the question?
Quote by Ghostmaker
Epiphones are crap... COMPARED to Gibson.

Again, too broad a brush. Some of Gibson's under-$1000 offerings redefine the word "crap," unless all you're interested in is the logo. Gibson is a good guitar at two grand, a very good one over $3500 (depending on your definition of those terms).

In the OP's price range, Epiphone is certainly a reasonable contender, as are the others mentioned. I've personally substituted Agile for Epiphone in that price range (and in that style of guitar), but the under-$1000 range of guitars offers a lot of good choices these days.
Epiphones are not crap , especially compared to a lot of the shit that's coming out of Gibson today with their QC issues. Epiphone is owned by Gibson but for some reason , the factory in China is just putting out guitars that are better made than the majority of their USA made counterparts at Gibson. I own a Les Paul Goth Studio along with a G-400 Vintage faded series both of which I've had for a few years now , and I have never had any issues with either of them . I'm 55 and have been playing for 43 years now so I think I know quality if I see it.
Quote by Ghostmaker
Epiphones are crap... COMPARED to Gibson. For guitars under $600 though, they're not bad. They serve as great slates for upgrading.

I have not found any sub 1000 Euro Gibson that had any better workmanship or finish that all the sub 1000 Euro guitars I own....

and I have had a lot of those Gibsons in my hands
and I own some Epis in that price range

You can get CRAP from Gibson too, just at 3-5x the price
My workhorse guitar is an Epi LP Standard.

Granted, I've done some serious setting up/adjustments, but the electronics/hardware are still stock (except the switch, damn thing died) and IMO it sounds better than the Gibsons I've played.
"There are two styles of music. Good music and bad music." -Duke Ellington

"If you really think about it, the guitar is a pointless instrument." - Robert Fripp
budget? location?
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
You also have to consider whether you like the scale length or not. A good alternative would be say a Shecter C-1 Classic, same body materials, longer scale, typically better quality control than chinese Epis. I personally haven't seen to many Chinese Epis that cut the mustard quality wise. I have seem some very nice Japanese, and Korean Epis that cut the mustard and the ketchup...lol.
I've had really good experiences with Epiphone. And in my experience, a higher end Epiphone is just as good as a low end Gibson or sometimes better. If you can get your hands on one and play it before you buy, that always helps.
Between my Epiphone Les Paul standard and my Gibson Les Paul Studio the Epiphone is my "Go To" guitar
1979 Granada Les Paul
1983 Lado Flying V
2006 Fender Stratocaster
2007 Tenson Classical
2008 Epiphone Les Paul
2008 Yamaha Pacifica
2010 Gibson Les Paul Studio
2011 Dean Z 79 Series
2011 Ibanez 12 String Acoustic
2012 Messina Classical
Anything above an epi LP standard seem to be pretty solid. Most I've tried play quite nicely but epi's QC might not be the strictest so probably best to try beforehand. But if you can go used, you can get some amazing deals on them and they're abundant in the used market as well.
Quote by strat-O-matic92

Epiphone can be very nice, I have a G-400 ($299 new) and it is a nice playing guitar.

If your in the USA you can get used Gibson LP's for $400+
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by dspellman
Some of Gibson's under-$1000 offerings redefine the word "crap," unless all you're interested in is the logo.

I played an SG Special the other day that was horrifying, I had to check the headstock just to be sure it was a Gibson. I can't believe it left the factory and gc put it on their wall, it was such a mess. The frets could cut your fingers if not careful, pathetically sloppy finish, felt like garbage. The "j" models are meh too. I'm too poor for experience with high end gibsons but I'm inclined to agree with you.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
A good new $400 Epi Les Paul Standard is a better guitar than most sub $1000 Gibsons. Just keep the receipt so you can get the switch replaced under warranty if it craps out.
Quote by lucky1978
I played an SG Special the other day that was horrifying, I had to check the headstock just to be sure it was a Gibson. I can't believe it left the factory and gc put it on their wall, it was such a mess. The frets could cut your fingers if not careful, pathetically sloppy finish, felt like garbage. The "j" models are meh too. I'm too poor for experience with high end gibsons but I'm inclined to agree with you.

I can't speak for the specific guitar that you played, but my SG Special is nothing like that.
Another reinforcement of 'try before you buy', I guess.
Quote by Ghostmaker

Epip are not crap my one sounds as good or better than gibsons i have tried .
If that doesn't make you at least want to try one, I don't know what will. I tried an Epi Pro Limited Edition the other day and it was a really nice instrument. I looked at it very carefully and couldn't really find much of a flaw. It also sounded really, really good. Extremely comfortable. It was an ES-335. There was a $3,000+ Gibson next to it and I picked it up as well and honestly I could understand the 7x+ price difference... I guess I'm just reiterating what other people said: don't discount Epi based on earsay. Go and try them.

Of course that particular one doesn't seem to be available right now...
Quote by OliveG
If that doesn't make you at least want to try one, I don't know what will.

Sexy!

I tried an Epi Pro Limited Edition the other day and it was a really nice instrument. I looked at it very carefully and couldn't really find much of a flaw. It also sounded really, really good. Extremely comfortable. It was an ES-335. There was a $3,000+ Gibson next to it and I picked it up as well and honestly I could understand the 7x+ price difference...

Hmm..."could" or "could not"?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by strat-O-matic92

Dunno where you got that number from, I see used Studios go for well under a grand all day, and occasionally you see Classics, Traditionals, and Standards under 1500.

Also, I've found Epiphones with much better (like, WAY better) fretwork than some Gibsons that were considerably more expensive.

That said, if I wanted a relatively vintage styled humbucker guitar, I'm pretty sure ESP would be what I would go for. They make full thickness, 22 fret Eclipse models that are basically Les Pauls.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Last edited by oneblackened at Aug 24, 2014,
budget? location?
I play a used Epiphone Les Paul Standard that I bought off Craigslist for $200. I performed my own set-up/refurbishment and now it is a great guitar. Sounds good, plays good, looks good. My buddy (who has been playing for 25 years) thinks it plays like a much more expensive guitar.

I recently spent some time in a local guitar store shopping for an amp and they handed me a $3,000 Gibson LP to use with the amps. Needless to say this guitar was not as nice as my Epi. Sure it looked awesome with its cool sunburst top, but the action was too high, and it just didn’t play any better than my Epi in my opinion. I was quite underwhelmed.
I have an Epi Les Paul with quite a bit of work done to it and I really like it, and did when it was stock. But like others said, its best to play the exact one first, especially if getting a used one. Not because there is a difference between copies of exact models (which is possible) but because there have been so many models over the years and different necks. Some come with 50's necks and I can't play those. I really wanted Bonamassa version that was really cheap but it had a 50's neck and was sticky, so I passed.

I also tried multiple PRS SE 22 and SE Custom 24 and didn't like any of them, and I really wanted to. The 22 had too fat of a neck and 24 was too thin, and I have an old Ibanez Rg550 with a really thin neck that I am fine with.

-Chris
I have an Epi 1960 Tribute Plus. Its an awesome guitar! Gibson '57 pu's, Grover locking tuners, Switchcraft selector and comes with a hard case. I got mine 'used' from Musician's Friend website for a little over $400. Guitar came set-up with all plastic still on it. Not sure how they classified it as used. Definitely worth a look, imo.
+1 for the tribute plus, I want one BAD! I tried an Epiphone the other day at GC and it was a very good guitar. Nice finish, excellent setup and it sounded good too. Seems like the stock pickups on higher end models are good...
Quote by strat-O-matic92

Alternately the LTD EC are excellent quality for the money too...
I'll reinforce the point that Epiphones can be great guitars, I've got both Epi and Gibsons and the Epis are at least equal in quality overall, just different materials and finishes (which may be part of how you define quality, so your mileage may vary).

But unless you want a true Les Paul, you can try various other manufacturers. If you can get to a guitar store, play everything you can afford to see if there is anything that appeals to you. Chances are that any line of guitars will have some crap ones and if they aren't crap from the start they probably won't have major issues later. And if you can solder at all you can fix pretty much any electronics issue cheaply yourself, they aren't that complicated normally.
Just as a matter of reference I have been playing pro (full time) and semi pro for more than 40 years. I now own four Epiphone Les Paul guitars. I have a Standard, an Ultra II, a Korean made Custom and my current favorite and "go-to-the-gig guitar", a Les Paul 1960 Tribute Plus that rivals anything Gibson makes under $2,000.00. The 1960 Tribute Plus has offical Gibson 57 Classic pups, Switchcraft USA three way toggle and jack output, Mallory tone caps, CTS volume and tone pots, real Grover locking tuners and the pickups are coil tapped with switches activated by pulling up the the tone pots. The body is one piece mahogany with a full maple cap. This guitar has replaced my 1973 Gibson Les Paul for live gigs and sounds amazing. On gigs I generally carry two guitars, a mid 90's Fender Telecaster and an Epiphone Les Paul. Both have a great sound contrast and both are excellent guitars. I suggest that people who say Epiphone Les Paul's are junk are either Gibson snobs or they have never actually taken one out and played one (or maybe got hold of the rare dud that can come off any production line including Gibson). If money is not a consideration all I can say is good for you! You made better life choices than I did. Buy a Gibson Les Paul for $3,000.00 and up. You won't be dissappointed. One the other hand if you want a Les Paul sound and feel and want to spend under $700.00, buy an Epiphone Les Paul Tribute or for under $500.00 a Les Paul Standard. They are equally as nice. I can't comment on the lower grade Epiphone Les Paul's because I have never played them.
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Sep 12, 2014,
Quote by Rickholly74
I can't comment on the lower grade Epiphone Les Paul's because I have never played them.

It's a bit more of a crapshoot below standard level. The Studios can be good guitars too, but they tend not to have the better pickups/tuners that the Standard and above have. Though the Traditional Pro is a great guitar that's a little bit cheaper than the Standard, I'd class it with the Standard.
budget? location?

post #13
Quote by gregs1020
budget? location?

post #26
Quote by gregs1020
budget? location?

post #36
Quote by gregs1020
budget? location?

BTW the OP never came back......
Quote by dylandempsey6
Epi Les Paul Standard Plustop Pro = Gibson without the Gibson logo

Fox and the grapes.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
That Tribute + gives you a lot of features for something like $599 New. Good quality electronics, solid maple cap (figure is veneer but it's on solid maple), good quality electronics, apparently real Gibson USA 57 PUs, a hardshell case as well. Probably the best bang for the buck Chinese Epi out there. As with all mass produced guitars you should play 1st before buying, if one is a dog the next one beside isn't likely to be. Most Trib owners report great satisfaction with their purchase (at least on the MLP forum which is dedicated to Les Pauls!)
Moving on.....
Page 1 of 2