For the past few records my band has recorded with an electronic drumset but now that we have decent drum mics want to record a full kit. The only issue is, i have no clue how to have each mic be it's own track in the DAW. I can run all the mics into a mixer that I have but from there can only run stereo out into the interface and it comes out as one track. Would I need to get some fancy high tech mixer with a USB out into the computer or something or am I just woefully misinformed?
You'll need an interface with enough inputs for all the mics. Focusrite and Presonus make good USB units with 8 mic pres in them and the capacity to add more via ADAT lightpipe.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
What you need is an audio interface with enough inputs, as oneblackened pointed out.

My vote goes to the mackie onyx blackbird.

Also if you wanna get a focusrite don't get the LS56, it has a shit ton of problems with the drivers.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Hi Spambot,

Sorry to hear you experienced some issues with the LS56. If you have any further information that would assist us in looking into this please let me know as we are certainly not aware of any driver issues with the Saffire range.

Best regards,

Neil Marron
Focusrite
Yep, if you want to use an external mixer, then you need to make sure it has outputs for each channel instead of just a stereo output. I still do this, although I'm not quite sure why. The preamps on my interface are just about as good.
I do get the hint. I just choose to ignore it.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Have you checked out the Tascam US-1800? It should have enough inputs to handle a full drum set.

This this this. Super clean preamps and easy to use. They're super cheap, too. I borrowed my drummer's us-800 (old model) for a two-mic drum recording. It doesn't sound AMAZING by any means, but I'm very happy with the results:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T84wnX4Ij3U

Everything was tracked in one take, with the vocal and guitar going into my duet 2, and the kick/overhead going into the us-800 that was aggregated/slaved to the duet. I will be shelling out the $100 (craigslist ftw) for a us-1800 very soon so that I can have that flexibility in my studio.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
The only real issue with the US1800 is that Tascam isn't exactly known for good quality drivers.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
The only real issue with the US1800 is that Tascam isn't exactly known for good quality drivers.

Yeah I was really worried since I have a mac and the us-800 isn't even technically supported anymore, especially on mavericks, and my drummer is a PC guy so he had better luck with his tascam. I downloaded drivers for the last us-800 release and current 1800 release and had absolutely no issues, plugged it in and rocked out. Had some CPU overload with the two interfaces and some plugins but I deactivated the plugins while tracking and we were all good after that.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Yeah, the Tascam cheapies can get really buggy and glitchy over USB, but it might be worth a shot.

The Presonus stuff has been good to me, everything in their range really, can't complain. Recorded quite a few demos even even with two of the 8 input units slaved for 16 track and behaved great.

One brand I wouldn't recommend at all is Cubase - their user and driver support is utterly worthless.
Last edited by diabolical at Aug 31, 2014,
My advice to start recording right away is to use the mixer you have to record your drum track and then sample replace the snare and kick and maybe other bits as well. There is a video in my description that shows how to individually separate drums from a VST, you can use that plus your recorded kit to make a really unique sounding kit that still sounds really good.
Quote by Victorgeiger
My advice to start recording right away is to use the mixer you have to record your drum track and then sample replace the snare and kick and maybe other bits as well. There is a video in my description that shows how to individually separate drums from a VST, you can use that plus your recorded kit to make a really unique sounding kit that still sounds really good.

With the right samples, doing some minor replacement can make a WORLD of difference. It's great because you maintain the dynamics of the live performance, but get a nicely tuned/recorded sound. I actually replaced the kick in my above video because there wasn't enough gain on the mic, and it came out too weak - couldn't beef it up with a compressor or my outboard pre-amp. Ran a drums-to-midi track with Ableton, and picked one of my favorite kick samples, the bussed it to the same room reverb as the rest of the tracks. You'd probably never know if I didn't say anything!
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
This post covers one I have just made. Do these interfaces give you separate tracks on the DAW after you have recorded?
Quote by lodgi
This post covers one I have just made. Do these interfaces give you separate tracks on the DAW after you have recorded?

Everything that I was talking about does. We had four separate tracks in that video (with a lot of room bleed, though) but given the interface capabilities, we could have had as many as 12 individual audio tracks, and then another midi on top of that if need be.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Just to confirm then, I can record 4 separate mics into the Tascam 1800, then at the end of playing, I can go onto the DAW and manipulate levels, eq etc of each of the 4 separate tracks?

Think Im gonna buy this device but just wanna be sure it does what I want. Whats the best device up from this that has more inputs?

Is the USB 2 output limited by number of tracks down its cable?
Quote by lodgi
Just to confirm then, I can record 4 separate mics into the Tascam 1800, then at the end of playing, I can go onto the DAW and manipulate levels, eq etc of each of the 4 separate tracks?
Yes.

That's the point of having 4 inputs instead of one.
Quote by lodgi
Think Im gonna buy this device but just wanna be sure it does what I want. Whats the best device up from this that has more inputs?
My personal favorite is the mackie onyx blackbird.

Also you're not gonna find units that have more than 8 inputs AND mic pre's for each input, so you either need outboard pre's or more than one unit for more than 8 inputs.
Quote by lodgi
Is the USB 2 output limited by number of tracks down its cable?
Not really, but it has disadvantages compared to firewire and thunderbolt, such as power it can supply (only a concern for smaller, bus powered interfaces though) and latency.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.