I see it all the time on youtube and forums, noobs who buy big amps, like peavey 6505, among other 50w, even 100 watt amps, only to be used at home lol, they cannot even go past volume 1, and even if you use an attenuator, it still sounds too loud, and reduces the quality of tone, basically wasted all your money

Realize, that the reason why pros sound so good, is because they have invested thousands of dollars on equipment, also their music is processed to the extreme, to make it sound pristine and perfect, they don't sound like that good when playing live, but you already knew that, didn't you?

Also, there is no way you could even come close to the quality of their sounds/tone when playing live, because, not only they are using the most expensive rig and technicians out there, but also can play at high volumes and squeeze the tone from those 50-100 watts, and you cannot unless you want the police on your door

Even a 15 watt solid state amp, is super loud for home use, you will not be able to sound good with those unless you up the volume, and have your neighbors complaining

Ideally, the best valve amps for homes use, would be 1 watt, and the 5 watters are even pushing it
Last edited by lalopunk at Aug 24, 2014,
I don't know what house you live in, but 15W solid state is definitely not super loud and volume shouldn't matter for solid state amplifiers that much anyway.

Also, having a 100W amplifier isn't necessarily overkill at home, because often, they just offer the features other amplifiers don't, and to be fair, they have volume knobs for a reason. I have yet to see an amplifier that cannot be used at home besides an Orange AD200 for bass, maybe.
Get off my ****ing lawn.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by lalopunk
I see it all the time on youtube and forums, noobs who buy big amps, like peavey 6505, among other 50w, even 100 watt amps, only to be used at home lol, they cannot even go past volume 1, and even if you use an attenuator, it still sounds too loud, and reduces the quality of tone, basically wasted all your money

Realize, that the reason why pros sound so good, is because they have invested thousands of dollars on equipment, also their music is processed to the extreme, to make it sound pristine and perfect, they don't sound like that good when playing live, but you already knew that, didn't you?

Also, there is no way you could even come close to the quality of their sounds/tone when playing live, because, not only they are using the most expensive rig and technicians out there, but also can play at high volumes and squeeze the tone from those 50-100 watts, and you cannot unless you want the police on your door

Even a 15 watt solid state amp, is super loud for home use, you will not be able to sound good with those unless you up the volume, and have your neighbors complaining

Ideally, the best valve amps for homes use, would be 1 watt, and the 5 watters are even pushing it

maybe you can't but don't speak for the rest of us. while it's true that there are certain volume based tones that are harder to achieve at lower levels it's not impossible. I have a 50 watt tube amp in my living room and manage to do fairly well with most of the tones I shoot for at volumes that will only annoy the neighbors a little (the wife is always saying go ahead and play louder) having realistic expectations also goes a long way. do I expect to nail say John Petrucci"s tones with my rig, no. can I get a reasonably close sound to at least sorta sound like the song, yes. I notice a severe lack of listing of gear you have or anything else about you. why should we pay any attention to your supposed words of wisdom?
i agree to a point. but sometimes if you want a certain tone it correlates to a certain amp. for example a EVH 5153. you really cant get that tone out of amps less than 50 watts. its really hard. sometimes boutique builders can pull it off, but its difficult. low wattage amps dont have the same headroom, response, and punch.

dont get my wrong, i am seriously in the low wattage boat. but i am also in the flexibility boat and getting amp amp that sounds good regardless.

i own a tweaker 40 and just bought a carvin v3m. 40 and 50 watts. it just so happens that the tweaker does very well at low volumes, and the carvin has power scaling down to 7 watts. hopefully it too sounds good at low volume since even 7 watts can be to loud for home.

but its about the tone you want and how it pulls it off. sometimes wattage is not the only factor.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Quote by Cathbard
Get off my ****ing lawn.
+1
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
>1 watt
What if you want headroom m8

Me and my Mark V will just keep sounding awesome on the 90 watt and 45 watt modes.
I have a VK212 in my basement. Volume is 5 on clean, 3 on lead (w/boost on). So far, smooth sailing for me.
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
Quote by lalopunk

I can and I do

Sorry your life sucks, not everyone has that problem
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
That's pretty funny. I have a 50W Marshall Vintage Modern head, and I can get it to 4 or 5 in the house. When I play it out in my garage, I can play it on 8 or 9 without any complaints. Than again, I live in the last house on a dead end street.
Skip the username, call me Billy
about as bad as the players who arent very good with hundreds invested. thats why i feel bad spending ALOT on my stuff. because i suck and i feel i cant justify it lol.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
My 100 watt Rockerverb sounds great at home and has never seen a gig. I'm very happy I bought it.

Also, what's the weather like atop your high horse? If you're anything in real life like you are on these forums, people must hate knowing you.