I'm just wondering: are these actually produced in limited numbers? Or is it just a gimmick? It's just a gimmick, isn't it?
They may be produced in limited #'s but it will never be worth a bunch of money, well not in your lifetime.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Right, yeah, I wasn't thinking about that as much as availability. There are a few in the stores around me I have my eyes on, I wonder if I don't buy one now if I'm going to be sorry in a month's time...

Hey, how do you know?! :-D Maybe they will!
Limited just means that they’re producing hundreds instead tens of thousands. They’re generally not rare or special, the exception being expensive MIA/MIJ models like the Elitist series.
Quote by OliveG

No they won't, cheap and mass produced typically does not equate to valuable

Company's make limited runs so it sounds more appealing/exclusive to people.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I have a Epiphone Joe Perry Boneyard which is limited , one of the best guitars I have and would not get a gibson to replace it as it sounds so good . I would say you would be hard pressed now to pick one up other than that I wouldnt get a guitar made in china .
Last edited by dazzzer30 at Aug 25, 2014,

Seriously, they might be more limited than that, but as rob says I doubt they'd be worth that much even if they are.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by OliveG

demand has to well exceed supply, and that goes against every rule of business so it's extremely unlikely to happen.

companies want to make more than enough of "X" to get every dollar they can out of the consumer market.

"limited" is a marketing term used to promote a belief that there will only be a few so "act now while supplies last!" which is a ploy you may be falling into.
Some companies do indeed make fairly short runs of certain guitars*. Epiphone is not usually one of them.

My best advice: treat limited editions like any other guitar. Buy them because it has features you want and you like the way it looks & feels. Don't buy because you think it will go up in value- the vast majority of guitars (including LEs) do not appreciate or even hold value, so speculation in them is usually a losing game.

* and by that, I mean 50 or fewer of a certain configuration. I have a few.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
my bfv-2010k was a 1 of 10, but the only one to ever show up for sale with the warranty card matching the serial to the model number.

probably should have kept that one.
^ LOL

Quote by dannyalcatraz

My best advice: treat limited editions like any other guitar. Buy them because it has features you want and you like the way it looks & feels. Don't buy because you think it will go up in value- the vast majority of guitars (including LEs) do not appreciate or even hold value, so speculation in them is usually a losing game.

Agreed.

Occasionally you have to move fast or something will sell out- but more often that's when a really killer deal comes along or something like that.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Paruwi, the Epi expert could probably chime in about the numbers. For example, I see more MIJ Elitist LPs (big Epi headstock) than the domestic MIJ Elite series LPs (open book ala Gibson headstock).

It may or may not be relevant; but, the Gibson GOTM runs are limited to 1000 per model: http://www.gibson.com/en-us/divisions/gibson%20usa/products/gotm/sg%20diablo%20month%2011/.

Quote by gregs1020
my bfv-2010k was a 1 of 10, but the only one to ever show up for sale with the warranty card matching the serial to the model number.

probably should have kept that one.

Ouch!

I probably should have whipped out my credit card when the Dean rep offered me a stoooooopid deal on a black HH Time Capsule Caddy they sent me that I didn't order (I ordered the Brazilliaburst HHH). It was #15 or so out of the run of 50 in that style.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Pretty sure my Gladiator is limited in numbers. Doesn't mean it's worth anything though!

For me, the limited edition models are gimmicks. Most of the time you could get something similar to an artist or limited edition model for much cheaper.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Some models have been limited by pieces

Limited run of 1959 guitars of each color

http://epiphonewiki.com/index.php/Les_Paul_Tribute_%26_Anniversary_Models

Limited run of 1000 guitars
some even get a 'numbered certificate' #123 of 1000 for example

http://epiphonewiki.com/index.php/Ace_Frehley_Signature_Models#Ace_Frehley_.22Budokan.22_Les_Paul_Custom

Limited Run of 1,962 pieces

http://epiphonewiki.com/index.php/Sheraton#1962_Sheraton_Reissue

some models have been limited to 1000 peces, they sold pretty well
and a new batch of 1000 were made, they sold pretty well, too
so another batch was produced...

others are limited by a certain time-frame

It might be 'gimmicks' to those who don't know much about.....

Last edited by paruwi at Aug 25, 2014,
Quote by paruwi
No, they got renamed because of the Ovation Elite series,

both got exported

http://epiphonewiki.com/index.php/Elitist_Series

Yea,I read about the Ovation thing causing the Elite series to be renamed. I have what is now called Elitist Series (Japan) LPC and SG with the open book headstock: http://epiphonewiki.com/index.php/Elitist_Series_%28Japan%29

but with the (I guess earlier/older) Elite logo:

Right, like I was saying above I don't really care aboot it going up in price, just worrying about availability. I'm pretty much set on it (**especially** after trying it), have been for a good year now or more, one just happened to reach the GC near me recently and I can't buy it at the moment because we're trying to sell our house and buy a new one so finances are tight and it's definitely not a need so... I was just wondering what they mean by the limited edition bit.

It freaking sucks. It's not that expensive, it's just the worst time. Why didn't it come to the store in like 6 months? Plus the manager there is not really receptive to my charms and a deal is apparently not an option... if he had agreed to like -10% I could have been swayed... (well, my significant other rather :-D )
i feel that the collectible market and all iterations of it are complete shenanigans. You can lump any "limited edition" guitar produced today in right beside beanie babies, football cards and comic books. There is nothing made today that will ever be worth anything unless it is encased in glass and sent into space to orbit the earth for a billion years.
Then when it makes its return voyage the creatures that inhabit the earth will open the glass case that has been sealed for a billion years and one will closely examine it and express that because the tags on the glass encased guitar has some wear that it is only worth $80 (or like 80 smizmarks or whatever the aliens that inhabit the earth use as currency in a billion years)
But if you like the guitar buy it and play the hell out of it
Quote by BlackVoid
Every guitar and bass forum I've visited has some people chasing some magical tone that will shoot jizzing unicorns riding on a rainbow out of their amp.
Quote by OliveG
I'm just wondering: are these actually produced in limited numbers? Or is it just a gimmick? It's just a gimmick, isn't it?
With Epiphone in some cases the "limited editions", are left handed models. Being a lefty, I've seem many of these come and go. In the cases of left hand models, they basically have to reverse all the jigs on an assembly line to produce them..

I expect they run a bunch of them based on requests, projected sales performance, and percentages of normally right handed guitars sold as lefties in the past.

For example, the "Sheraton II" and the "Dot", were once available as left hand models. They're both gone, but the right hand models are still on the market.

So, that makes the case for "limited edition", at least based on an single initial run and residual sales from it.

With standard right handed guitars, perhaps "Limited Edition" is a ploy to force sales, or a guitar they're uncertain as to the appeal.
Well, you should see my 'collection': used MIM strat that cost $250, used LTD EC-401VF (actually that was a good deal, $350 on ebay including shipping and I see a new one on GC now for $700+ - although with different pickups) and a Republic reso. Definitely not the collector's type... but I play all of them almost every day. Yeah, I'd definitely play the hell out of that one.
Quote by Captaincranky
With standard right handed guitars, perhaps "Limited Edition" is a ploy to force sales, or a guitar they're uncertain as to the appeal.

That's what baffles me. Every single review of that particular guitar was very positive, so I can't imagine it wouldn't be popular... seems like if they made even more colors like Gibson is doing now they'd sell like hot cakes... maybe it's more expensive to produce so they don't make as many?

OK, I'm obsessing a little.
Quote by OliveG
That's what baffles me. Every single review of that particular guitar was very positive, so I can't imagine it wouldn't be popular... seems like if they made even more colors like Gibson is doing now they'd sell like hot cakes... maybe it's more expensive to produce so they don't make as many?

OK, I'm obsessing a little.
Well first identical units as well as CNC, (and of course, low wages), contribute to affordability.

With luxury items though, market saturation can set in. I suppose they'd like to run a little short, rather than be stuck with inventory.

For example, there isn't a power on earth that could make me buy a "Zack Wylde" something or other. And I'm sure there's a massive contingent that would call me all sorts of rude things for saying that. When all members of that group each have one, it's time for the maker to move on.

Besides, "limited editions" may be like trolley cars in that, "there will be another one along in the next ten minutes".

Having a "limited edition", can't help but generate pride of ownership, even though the resale value may not track exactly with that pride.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Aug 25, 2014,
I emailed them and here is their answer:

"Thanks for the email. This model is not made in standard production, but is made as a “dealer exclusive” which means it is only available through select dealers. This is the meaning of the “Limited Edition” decal. There are no plans at this time for other finishes. Although machines are used during production at the factory, much(if not most) of the build work is done by hand. Thanks again!"
Quote by zenbone
i feel that the collectible market and all iterations of it are complete shenanigans. You can lump any "limited edition" guitar produced today in right beside beanie babies, football cards and comic books. There is nothing made today that will ever be worth anything unless it is encased in glass and sent into space to orbit the earth for a billion years.
Then when it makes its return voyage the creatures that inhabit the earth will open the glass case that has been sealed for a billion years and one will closely examine it and express that because the tags on the glass encased guitar has some wear that it is only worth $80 (or like 80 smizmarks or whatever the aliens that inhabit the earth use as currency in a billion years)
But if you like the guitar buy it and play the hell out of it

Well, except I only buy limited edition guitars that have magical tones that shoot jizzing unicorns riding on a rainbow out of my amp.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Aug 26, 2014,
Ja, these are expensive... Aren't you worried about unicorn jizz stains on your amp though? I hear it's a bitch to clean.
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Well, except I only buy limited edition guitars that have magical tones that shoot jizzing unicorns riding on a rainbow out of my amp.

Ah... then you are golden!
Quote by BlackVoid
Every guitar and bass forum I've visited has some people chasing some magical tone that will shoot jizzing unicorns riding on a rainbow out of their amp.
Quote by OliveG
Ja, these are expensive... Aren't you worried about unicorn jizz stains on your amp though? I hear it's a bitch to clean.

Nah, not if it's REAL unicorn jizz and not some horse with a prosthetic horn.

The real stuff evaporates, leaving a smell like jasmine & vanilla, and cleans the grille cloth too!

Tried to see if the GC's manager would be willing to give me a discount on the 335 and I guess not, here's what he said:

Trade in Trade up: If you trade something in, regardless of how much the piece is worth, we will give you 10% off the gear you want from it’s normally tagged price

Military Discount: If you are active or former military we can offer you 10% off any single item.

Financing: Right now we have 6 months no interest on any purchase or 24 months no interest on purchases over $700. Just need a Guitar Center credit card and they only take a couple of minutes to apply for

Layaway: We offer 30 day layaway for 25% of the price down.

And that's it. I think I've read somewhere that they won't let you talk them into knocking the price down anymore (since they were taken over by... someone... can't remember who). Seems like you used to be able to get maybe 10% off sometimes in the past. Never happened to me but... good for them I guess but sucks for us. :-p So much for labor day coupons since they exclude pretty much any amp and guitar manufacturer.