So I want active pickups on my guitar and I don't know what to get. I only hear EMG 81/85 which I know is good. I have those on one of my guitars and I love them. But I'm wondering if there are any other good options. I've heard good things about Seymour Duncan and Dimarzio but I don't know. Here's a list of some of the artists I like to play:

Killswitch Engage
Dethklok
All that Remains
Pantera
Metallica
Shadows Fall
Slipknot
Disturbed
Five Finger Death Punch
Godsmack
Black Label Society

All of that nu metal stuff. I play more but this is what I primarily play on this guitar. Any suggestions for pickups?
Last edited by Curtis321 at Aug 24, 2014,
tried lots of pickups, my choice will be Gibson 498T but for tight metal tone emgs are ok, or any ceramic magnet high output pickips. Remember that one pickup can sound absolutely different in other guitars with different kind of shape, construction and wood. BTW if u're looking for the beefy sound, maybe that's not the pickups, but the amp u'r using
Quote by JosephFeagin8
with that list EMG 81/85 will probably be the right choice for you.

Yeah i'd have thought you wouldn't go too far wrong with EMGs for those tones.

Some people use a 60 in the neck (I haven't tried that one).

EDIT: what amp are you using? EMGs will only really sound the way you expect them to with a decent high gain tube amp.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
Yeah i'd have thought you wouldn't go too far wrong with EMGs for those tones.

Some people use a 60 in the neck (I haven't tried that one).

EDIT: what amp are you using? EMGs will only really sound the way you expect them to with a decent high gain tube amp.

I'm using a Blackstar 2x12 cab with an orange micro terror amp and a mooer overdrive pedal. It isn't the best setup obviously but it does give me the fat sound I like when I palm mute and what not. Galloping sounds good with it. Right now I have EMG 81/85 in my Jackson Kelly I think but I was planning on putting those on another guitar and getting some chrome ones for the Kelly. I just wanted to hear some opinions before I buy the EMGs again.
What's the guitar the new pickups will be going into? I'm a fan of the 81/60 combo in mahogany and I also get good results from a Blackout AHB-1 in an alder V. As much as I love EMGs, I have to admit that the Blackout has great clarity and attack.
ah if you already have EMGs in another guitar (unless they're absolutely perfect and you hate everything else you've tried) I'd be tempted to try something else for a bit of a change. that's just me, though.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by -MintSauce-
What's the guitar the new pickups will be going into? I'm a fan of the 81/60 combo in mahogany and I also get good results from a Blackout AHB-1 in an alder V. As much as I love EMGs, I have to admit that the Blackout has great clarity and attack.

I wanted to try that 60 in the neck. Is it gonna be too warm though? I really don't want to make the wrong pick here because I don't have a lot of disposable income. I googled a lot of the artists I like and a lot of them use Seymour Duncan. But you know how the internet is, every famous guitarists uses every company's pickups.
Quote by Curtis321
I wanted to try that 60 in the neck. Is it gonna be too warm though? I really don't want to make the wrong pick here because I don't have a lot of disposable income. I googled a lot of the artists I like and a lot of them use Seymour Duncan. But you know how the internet is, every famous guitarists uses every company's pickups.

It's not too warm at all. It's actually not as fat and warm as the 85 and it's almost between an 81 and 85.

What's the guitar you want to put these in? I'd actually second Dave's recommendation of trying some passives. Lots of metal players get great results with them, as long as they've got enough gain/volume on the amp to back them up.
Its a Jackson Kelly. I believe it isn't a top end or bottom end guitar it's like a middle of the line one. If that makes sense.
EMG's are a very solid choice for the kind of music you'll be playing. Especially 18v modded. Though if you've already got a guitar with them, there's little point in buying them again lol.

A well-voiced passive high-output ceramic will do the job well. Duncan SH-6 is my favorite high-gain Duncan pickup. I'd avoid the SH-8 and the SH-13.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Aug 25, 2014,
Quote by -MintSauce-
It's not too warm at all. It's actually not as fat and warm as the 85 and it's almost between an 81 and 85.

What's the guitar you want to put these in? I'd actually second Dave's recommendation of trying some passives. Lots of metal players get great results with them, as long as they've got enough gain/volume on the amp to back them up.

81/85s....to me were bassy sounding imo try looking at bareknuckle--lace or bill lawrence lx500...dunkin/emg/dimazio arnt the only co. that make metal p.us
Quote by -MintSauce-

I meant active or passive, but yeah I'm guessing passives might have a bigger difference.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Built a guitar 30+ years ago, picked up used hardware from local shop. One item was a EMG 85. I wanted AC-DC, Skynard, Doobies, Zep, Walsh..... After about a year got tired of the sound and thought a new pickup was in order. Didn't change a thing, the 85 is awesome at the bridge 30 years later I'm building a cab and buy a head. The pickups you have will produce. Consider the amp side of the equation. People tell me I didn't build a decent guitar, it's the pickup.